I survived my first MTB experience!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:16 pm

Well I borrowed a "shop" bike and they took me on a ride through Bunya forrest this morning. I had a great time - great guys.

It was good fun and I didn't feel as mortally endangered as I was expecting. :) It was kinda like 4WDing but without the 4WD. My fitness was OK so I was good on the hills but my technique is still a bit lacking which would be expected. :)

Anyway Santa has conceded that I may make a purchase for Chrissy. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This morning I rode a Giant Trance but I was thinking to get a Giant Anthem x 29er. I'm a pretty tall dude and like the idea of the bigger wheels and so on. I can't see me racing or anything so just want an all round good bike.

Thoughts?

trailgumby

Re: I survived my first MTB experience!

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:56 pm

ANthem X 29er is hawt. 8)

Can't go wrong with that one. Go the higher spec model. Amazing value for the price.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:07 pm

I hit Nerang Forest yesterday arvo for my first bash off road in maybe 5 years... So much fun, and though I have been doing plenty of Ks on the road bike lately, it was much harder than I remember :oops: :roll: , and the 50k road ride in the morning really to the edge of me for the arvo!
Since I started riding again about 3 months ago, I've been keen to get back out offroad, but wanted to get some fitness up first. I've dropped about 10kg in that time, so thought it about time I HTFU and hit the 3 hills!
The old girl (1999 Norco Sasquatch) performed well even though there's been virtually no maintenance (other than some lube on the chain) since late 2002!

(Sorry not intending to hijack the thread)
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:37 pm

Oxford wrote:no arguments here on a 29er, they are a great bike and would suit your height. 29ers do roll better IMO and will help you gain more confidence, however I also believe they are a little harder to wrestle through very tight single track. but if you're not going to try setting speed records and you're just out there to enjoy the experience I reckon you cannot go wrong.

as for which bike, I'll let others come up with opinions there, I'm a HT SS MTBer personally and believe there is not too much in SEQ with respect to XC riding that requires much more than that. If I hadn't broken my wrist two years as ago I'd probably also stick with rigid front fork as well.

oh and welcome to the light side ie lured from the dark side (road riding).Image
I was blown away by it. Really good fun and a great workout. :) I guess I'm happy just to enjoy the views ... I like the 29er.
trailgumby wrote:ANthem X 29er is hawt. 8)

Can't go wrong with that one. Go the higher spec model. Amazing value for the price.
Yep, I was thinking the Anthem 0 which is the good one. I was very impressed by how well the gears changed on the Trance which are basically the same as the Anthem. The brakes were also very impressive. The Anthem has Juicy brakes though... hopefully they are ok.

A_P

Postby A_P » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:44 pm

I'm more than happy with my x29, its a very capable trail bike and the larger wheels really do roll well and absorb the bumps. It climbs really well with the larger tyre contact patch.
If you get the bug and decide to do the odd enduro event it will serve you well

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Oxford wrote:as for which bike, I'll let others come up with opinions there, I'm a HT SS MTBer personally and believe there is not too much in SEQ with respect to XC riding that requires much more than that. If I hadn't broken my wrist two years as ago I'd probably also stick with rigid front fork as well.
You'll have to stop jumping out in front of cars or you'll find yourself on a dually soon, with all the other lounge-chair lovers. :P

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Comedian wrote:Well I borrowed a "shop" bike and they took me on a ride through Bunya forrest this morning. I had a great time - great guys.

It was good fun and I didn't feel as mortally endangered as I was expecting. :)
You just haven't found the right trail yet. :) Some can be deceptive. It looks like you don't have to walk it, but you find out you do when it's too late to stop. :o

There are a couple of parts of a trail near me that are like that. One spot I always walk now as although I have got through it a couple of times, I've probably failed more times than I've succeeded. The last time I fractured my rib(s) going OTB. :oops:

Like Oxford, I also prefer a rigid.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:14 pm

I had a couple of bails-an-walks.

One was on this track called "mother in law" and it's pretty steep. I hit this sort of a washout and the front came up and I couldn't get it back down so had to bail! Fortunately I'm very used to clipping in and out so was able to bail instinctively. :roll:

My technique is lacking but that's not surprising for a 'roadie'.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Welcome to our new dirty boy. 8)

I went a 26" TranceX because my stubby legs and long torso would have had me leaning backwards on a small enough frame to standover. If you're tall enough to be comfortable on a 29er, you'd be nuts not to IMO.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Shifter

Postby Shifter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:21 pm

Also on a 26" Trance X, after demoing both it, and the Anthem X in both flavours. The Trance felt nicer IMO, and I'm also of the shorter legs / longer torso variety.

Just wish I could have more time on the trails since I've bought it... damn commitments.
2017 Norco Optic C9.2
2010 Malvern Star Oppy A4

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:37 pm

The Anthem 29er is a nice bike. I am hopefully getting back on a 29er SS in the new year.

Riding a lounge chair Reign at the moment which I will keep as well.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:53 pm

Before I went to a 29er I was riding a Santa Cruz Blur which I thought was the fastest bike I had ever ridden.. but I reverted to the hardtail, and SS, and rigid as I wanted to rediscover a feel for the trail rather thn just gliding over the top of it all.

I've felt enough now.

After almost four years of riding 29er hardtails in various guises (rigids / SS / 3x9 / RebaFork).... I have bought myself a 26" Anthem X1.
Took it out for its first dirt ride yesterday and it felt fantastic on the singletrack. Still trying to find my happy space within the 2x10 drivetrain though.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:23 pm

Yes, I still like my granny gear on the triple... some of the climbs around Cascades and Lane Cove national park I'd be walking without it. Dunno how I'd go with only a double on the front. Plus, you drop the chain more often with a double it seems.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:23 pm

trailgumby wrote:...Plus, you drop the chain more often with a double it seems.
Oh? We must be reading different stuff, I've seen no mention of it.
Might have to rethink the SRAM 2x10 upgrade...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:52 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
trailgumby wrote:...Plus, you drop the chain more often with a double it seems.
Oh? We must be reading different stuff, I've seen no mention of it.
Might have to rethink the SRAM 2x10 upgrade...
indeed... I'm running Shimano :-) XT 2x10 and had no probs at all riding the trails yesterday.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:16 pm

It's not mentioned openly, just little asides you read in the occasional magazine article, and a couple of the guys on nobmob.com have mentioned it in passing. I've seen it mentioned maybe three or four times? Just often enough to make me think "Hmmm... :| "

If you're riding groomed singletrack like the East Kowen Forest trails that made up The Mont I can't see it being that much of a hassle, but it's not quite so smooth 'round my way. :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Which mags? AMB had a how to do a 2x10 conversion a little while back and I don't recall any mention, however covert :?
London Boy 29/12/2011