5 Day 440 KM Ride - Crazy?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:52 pm

mikesbytes wrote:What Europa is pointing out is that the OCR02 06 model has the lugs for fitting a carrier.

What I don't know is whether the backs of your feet would hit the panniers or not, as road bikes are generally shorter in the rear.
That's not a problem with the new racks Mike - they are adjustable for height and distance backwards. That possibly is an achilles heel (what can be done up tight can work loose), but it also means you can set it up so hitting your heel on the pannier needn't be a problem - yes, we looked at in a shop with a new rack, an OCR2 and a curious shop owner :wink:

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:54 pm

I've got a 2006 model Giant OCR2 and a 1980's steel frame hack road bike, like Europas but not in as good condition as his.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

biker_4_fun

Postby biker_4_fun » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:57 pm

but mike would you lend me your bike if you would want to? ill do anything and pay for pstage:D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:08 pm

I need it for racing
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:10 pm

The Apollo Fiamme and the Avanti Blade are very similar frames with different mish-mashes of low-end components on them. They will both take front and rear panniers. You should be able to talk a shop into swapping the flat bars for trek bars (with very little extra cost) or drop bars (with little extra cost).
Being a 'tinkerer', I would search out an older mtb frame and build it up with matched components - it will be stronger and nicer to ride than an aluminium bike. I have a hi-tensile steel frame that you can have for nix, but something like a Shogun Trailblazer 1 (4130 CroMo steel) would be better.
The trailer you found is OK, but BOB is best (according to one of my biased mates), even if he costs more.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:13 pm

The trek bars certainly seem a good option as they offer lots of hand positions (easing the strain on your body) while allowing you to use the same brake levers and gear change setup. If you change to drop bars, you need to change the levers.

Richard

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:27 pm

europa wrote:If you change to drop bars, you need to change the levers.
That's why I said
peterrjleach wrote: ... or drop bars (with little extra cost).
The cheapest STI levers will cost more than the even cheaper Rapidfire levers that they're putting on the bikes Mark is looking at - but your LBS might have some in their 'upgraded parts' bin that would keep the costs comparable. Paul (my friendly LBS man) and I had a play at putting Rapidfire levers on drop bars a couple of days ago. If you used 44cm wide bars and put the levers as close to the head stem as possible, they would just fit. They looked a bit funny though!

europa

Postby europa » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:36 pm

We're talking something to compete with trek bars and wondering about it looking funny? :shock:

Glad to hear it can be done - it's something I wanted to try on the Sow's Ear.

I think my biggest concern with the bikes listed above, the gang of four, was that they were all base models with low end components. If you're only doing short trips and always near support, that's a fair risk to take. However, putting in long distances and out on the highway, you're asking for something to stop working. Mind you, as long as the rear derailleur still holds tension, you can manually place the chain on one freewheel and one chainring and ride without changing gears until you reach the next town. You'd carry puncture repair gear so that's not an issue. Broken spokes might be though and these bikes won't have strong wheels so you'd have to watch how you load them.

Hell, carry your mobile and don't leave the main roads :D He's young, he can walk if needed (that's called 'old codger's sympathy').

Richard

biker_4_fun

Postby biker_4_fun » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:20 pm

haha thanks everyone...but a question on my rear wheel spokes...if im using a BOB trailer would that still make the spokes break of not...because i dont intend to use panniers...Also can everyone help me with a list of all the things id be needing...ive come up with some but i knwo theres alot more im missing...

Cheers, Mark.

europa

Postby europa » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:17 pm

I think Kev's away on tour at the moment and he'd definitely have the answer to that.

Any other tourers chime in please.

Richard

garden_lark

I love Bob

Postby garden_lark » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:18 pm

who breaks spokes?!! worry about flat tyres, not broken spokes.

i went to darwin off-road with a bob trailer hauling 20 litres of water and i never broke a spoke. you're talking sweetie smoothie sassy bitumen ALL the way.

BOB trailers are it!

biker_4_fun

Postby biker_4_fun » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:51 pm

hey guys ive been pretty busy but my dad gave me $300 towards this ride...and i have saved up well-a fair bit lets say-i was lookign at this bike...is it any good? ive heard it is Good...
Avanti Prima 2006:
http://www.riders.com.au/product_info.p ... 70731ca020

Tell me wot every one thinks of it all the good and bad and if you recomend it for this...i plan on hooking up a BOB trailer to it not panniers....
The Trailer:
http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/Bikecorp ... 21270.html

Tell me wot ya think bout that too

Cheers, Mark :D

europa

Postby europa » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:19 pm

You are aware that the Prima (according to that ad) has slightly smaller wheels than the norm? 650 vs 700.

I'm not sure if that's a problem or not, it wouldn't be if you're short (compared to a bloke) but my 14 year old son easily fits on his OCR2 with 700 wheels. The smaller wheels would reduce pedal clearance to the road but would also allow a lower top tube relative to the road and shorter reach (coz the wheels take up less room). However, as I said, my lad's pretty normal for his age and he fits on the larger wheeled bike.

Avanti make good bikes so I'd imagine you're getting value for your money, but this is all speculation as I haven't seen on in real life, let along used one.

You'd have to ask Kev about the Bob trailer (or anyone else who's got one) but the price quoted is similar to what my lbs has them for.

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:05 pm

biker_4_fun wrote:but a question on my rear wheel spokes...if im using a BOB trailer would that still make the spokes break of not...because i dont intend to use panniers
The BOB trailers tend to split the load 50/50 across the wheels. I have found from experimenting that by loading the heavier stuff to the rear of the trailer, that it's more 60% to the BOB's wheel and 40% to the bike's rear wheel.

The BOB trailer's rear wheel is smaller and hence much stronger, so the more weight on it the better.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:13 pm

biker_4_fun wrote:is it any good? ive heard it is Good...
Avanti Prima 2006:

Tell me wot every one thinks of it all the good and bad and if you recomend it for this...i plan on hooking up a BOB trailer to it not panniers....
The Trailer:
Tell me wot ya think bout that too
That trailer is not a true BOB trailer. It's a foldable clone. Usually foldable means breakable. As you are touring on the road, the trailer should be fine. It doesn't appear to have water cage mountings on it like the BOB does. If you intend to do much more touring I'd recommend a real BOB trailer. like this one:

http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/prod321.htm

As for the bike, I can only see one water cage mounting and 32 spokes on the wheels. These are minor problems if pulling a trailer. There is however one big problem and that is the gearing.

It only has 2 chainrings, with the smallest being 42T. With a loaded trailer behind you, you will probably not be able to ride up hills. The largest cog on the rear is only a 24T. I have a 30T small front chainring and a 32T rear large. This is still not low enough for loaded climbs up steep hills. I have retro fitted a 24T small granny gear to allow steep climbs.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Avanti Prima 2006

Postby heavymetal » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:50 pm

I've had a longer look at that bike. The 650 sized wheels are an odd size. I haven't seen many of them around.

I also note that the chain stays are incredibly short. If you ever want to ride with panniers, your heels may strike the panniers. The Avanti Prima seems to have racing geometry so I presume it's desinged as a racing bike. Most touring bikes have a longer wheelbase.

The longer wheelbase makes the bike more stable and more comfortable over a day's ride. Maybe some racers here might be able to tell you what it's like sitting on a racing style bike for the entire day.

The effect the trailer will have on the bike will mainly be noticed on hill climbs. The BOB trailer is not noticeable on flats or downhills except when going over bumps when it's half loaded or empty. Several times I have forgotten that it's there.

On hill climbs it feels like something heavy is hanging onto the back of your bike. You will probably need to get lower gearing depending on how much weight you intend to carry and how steep the hills are.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:23 pm

Hey bike_4_fun

I have your webpage almost complete.... get back to me, would be good to turn it on soon.

Cheers
Christopher

avolve

Postby avolve » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:06 am

First post on these forums - thought i would share some recent experiences on summer touring in Canada recently (i am still here, though getting as little cool for rides). I look forward to reading about peoples rides back home for when i return!

My first tour - i had gone on a couple prep rides - was over 600km in four days, my second ended up being over 850km. My longest single day was over 230km fully loaded and i have ridden over 200km with singificant climbs.

Based on my experiences, 440km with a rest day is achievable. The climbs do add to this as do the aims of the ride. If you want to experience or see things on the route rather than as a means to get from A to B, you might want to ride each day (no rest day) at a shorter distance).

I ride with a trailer (very similar to a bob) and would definitely recommend them (single wheel only). They do bounce when empty. I have not expereinced any problems at all - included spoke issues. I do have quite strong wheels however

I ride a Cannondale F400 XC bike - very lite (aluminium) and strong enough. A little more resistance than a touring bike, though i like to get onto trails as well and will get some in when i return to Australia with it.

My set-up and details of some of my rides/tours can be found at http://bike.veganarky.net if anyone is interested.

I can answer any questions...

Crank

Postby Crank » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:32 pm

I like to see your web site "avolve" i have tried clicking,pasting and adding.
Could be my Winblows machine im useing.
Sounds like you carry your house like i do like to here more..

Edit: Yep working now hay looks good real bike with fat tyres and trailer.

oddturtle

Postby oddturtle » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:50 pm

hey I have a decent touring bike I really want to get rid of, and I live in Canberra too. Actually you might have already started your trip (or finished) but if you are interested it is a mongoose randonneur LE I rode it from canberra to perth in 06.

KingRico

You can do it!!

Postby KingRico » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:24 pm

nobody has faith in us young kids. I'm 18 and I rode 3700 miles (don't know km very well sorry) in 56 days. determined young adults can do anything we set our minds to.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:23 pm

How tall are you biker or should i say what size frame are you?

On the off chance that a size 49cm frame will fit, our lbs has a mongoose randonuer frame for 250$ in the shop.

craigjdurkee

Postby craigjdurkee » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:18 am

recently done melbourne to sydney in just over 3 days

you can do this if you put your mind to it

CTA

Postby CTA » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:05 pm

Did this ride ever come off? I hope so.

As for doing 440kms in 5 days, I had a friend do that same loop in 36 hours, except he came back to Canberra via Batemans Bay. He also rides from Sydney to Melbourne in a leisurely 5 days with a rest day. And all on a fixed gear.

Crank

Postby Crank » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:25 pm

Well if im doing 440kms i do not really care if it takes me 4 days or 1 week because touring is ment to be done at a slow and enjoyable ride not a race.