Pedals....

Dr.Nate

Pedals....

Postby Dr.Nate » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:57 pm

So I started out with MTB pedals .... Now I'm used to clipless pedals would like to upgrade.

Any advice ? As there are so many different pedal systems out there I don't even know where to start!

Speedplay ? Look? Or Shimano?

Ideally I would like something that's fairly easy to clip in and out of...

Thanks

Dr.Nate

Dr_Mutley

Pedals....

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:20 pm

If u want ease of clipping in and the infinite adjustability then speedplays

Ease of walking in... Stick to mtb spds

Shimano spd-sl and look keo are similar... Spd-sl are prob a little easier to walk in, but both are similar in entry/release characteristics.

Downside of speedplays are more maintenance, and the need to use cleat (coffeeshop) covers to save the cleats and keep muck out of the engaging mechanism.

If u don't mind the maintenance, and want the closest thing to MTB spds in a road pedal system then go the speedplays... I changed from look to SPs a month or 2 ago and will never go back...

Schmenz

Re: Pedals....

Postby Schmenz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:27 pm

i started with spd-sl (shimano) and they were ok.. i didnt know anything else. you can only clip in on one side which you get used to. walking in the cleats was fine - easy enough and quite grippy.

The release mechanism is quite tough tho. (If your a strong guy, then you might be ok - if your a small female - not the best idea. I couldn't get out quick enough when i wanted to and had many a clipstack. They also aggravated my knee.

I just got speedplays a month ago. love them super easy and heaps of motion available which takes the strain off my knee. they did take a little bit to get used to particularly on standing climbs!

The speedplays can be slippery and are not as easy to walk in - they make an annoying tap tap tap every where i go like im a tapdancer or something! I got a lot of strange looks in the supermarket tonight!

(if you want some shimano ones cheap id sell my old ones to you. only used them for 1 month.
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

sherlock

Postby sherlock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:49 pm

I like my Speedplays—the double-sided entry and float are great. Only downsides worth noting are the required maintenance, expensive/muck prone cleats and the first few days can be an effort to clip in to.

Wouldn't change away from them now though.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:28 am

Time for the road bikes...for 12 years now...have two sets of brand new pedals in bags so it may be another 12 years :D .
I have shimano mtb spd's on shimano carbon sole mtb shoes...I wouldn't walk anywhere in them!.

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:36 am

As others have mentioned, if you walk in the shoes often you may want to consider sticking to SPD based pedals. If you are coming from the standard MTB pedals (the ones that are pretty much just enough pedal for the mechanism and not much else) then moving to a touring model from Shimano will be a step up in terms of foot support. They are what I use on my road bikes and am happy with them but I haven't used any of the other road systems to compare it to. For me with my primary usage being commutting and audax riding the ease of walking in SPD based shoes outwieghed any benifit I may get from the other systems.

If you decide to go to one of the road systems don't forget that you'll likely need new shoes as well as not many are compatible with both MTB and Road pedal cleats.

sherlock

Postby sherlock » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 am

sblack wrote:then moving to a touring model from Shimano will be a step up in terms of foot support. .
It's worth saying that the cleat contact area, and hence the "support" given to your foot, is no different between MTB SPD pedals and the road SPD pedals.

I should also point out that whilst SPD's are a good choice, you should only use them with the recessed mountain bike shoes (which is fine, if you want something you can walk in!). The cleats themselves are tiny and not great on the bottom of a stiff-soled road shoe when it comes to standing or walking.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:39 am

sherlock wrote:It's worth saying that the cleat contact area, and hence the "support" given to your foot, is no different between MTB SPD pedals and the road SPD pedals.
Not sure how you calculated or defined your criteria. But there clearly is a difference in practice.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:30 am

I don't know the full range of speedplay cleats and pedals, but my partner had a pair of Xs with her new bike.
We have both tried them and found too much knee rotation to decleat, no matter how much we tried to reduce it with the cleat lever (which seemed to keep sliding back to a more open position).

My partner is lightly built (<52kg) and a little kinesthetically challenged, so on the advice of various LBSs, we have bought and trialed the Speedplay Xs, Shimano PD-M530 mtb pedal, and 105. She has had the 105s for a month and has found these the most suitable to date.

Personally, I've used Look deltas, 105s, and currently have Look Keo 2 max and Look Blades. As others have said, there's not a lot of diff between the operation of Look and Shimano SPD-SL range. I moved back to Look because I can decleat easier throughout the pedal stroke - Shimano were harder between 10 and 2.
I also bought carbon soled shoes recently, and the stiffness has dramatically helped cleat/decleat. I put it down to my previous shoe's soles being quite flexible, which may have resulted in bending of the cleats when bolted on firmly. The slight bend in the cleat may have compromised operation.

Finally, we are both over 45, so maybe 'knee' biological age is a consideration on which pedal is most apt. Our knees don't like it when the heel has to move outwards too far.

sherlock

Postby sherlock » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:38 am

winstonw wrote:I don't know the full range of speedplay cleats and pedals, but my partner had a pair of Xs with her new bike.
We have both tried them and found too much knee rotation to decleat, no matter how much we tried to reduce it with the cleat lever (which seemed to keep sliding back to a more open position).
With the Speedplay Zero's, there's two little screws on each cleat to handle toe-in & toe-out. Not used the X's, but the screws don't have any issues and you can dial the outward float down a lot if needed.

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:13 pm

sherlock wrote:
sblack wrote:then moving to a touring model from Shimano will be a step up in terms of foot support. .
It's worth saying that the cleat contact area, and hence the "support" given to your foot, is no different between MTB SPD pedals and the road SPD pedals.

I should also point out that whilst SPD's are a good choice, you should only use them with the recessed mountain bike shoes (which is fine, if you want something you can walk in!). The cleats themselves are tiny and not great on the bottom of a stiff-soled road shoe when it comes to standing or walking.
The sole of the shoe also comes in contact with the pedal so it is no longer just the cleat area providing support. The road touring shoes are reccessed the same as the MTB shoes but without the aggressive tread that MTB shoes tend to have.

Dr.Nate

Postby Dr.Nate » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys....

I'm going in to my LBS this Sunday to service my bike and also to have a look at the road pedals and shoes... Hopefully I can try the pedals out on the trainer...because the only way I think im going to figure this out is to try them ..I am going to buy new shoes as well.

And to be honest if I don't really feel comfortable with any I'm gonna stick with what I have...

I do like the idea of speedplay zeros as they are double sided... But would have try them out.

Dr.Nate

Dr_Mutley

Pedals....

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Dr.Nate wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys....

I'm going in to my LBS this Sunday to service my bike and also to have a look at the road pedals and shoes... Hopefully I can try the pedals out on the trainer...because the only way I think im going to figure this out is to try them ..I am going to buy new shoes as well.

And to be honest if I don't really feel comfortable with any I'm gonna stick with what I have...

I do like the idea of speedplay zeros as they are double sided... But would have try them out.

Dr.Nate
Cheap to try the SP zeros ATM... Cromoly zeros are around 130$ and if u use the velonews10 code u will get 10% off that at PBK. so at around 115 to 120$ it's pretty good value. Note u do get cleats with the pedals for that outlay as well.

notwal

Postby notwal » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:58 pm

Ritchey SPD road pedals - cheap, light (because they are tiny), and apparently durable.

They only accept Ritchey SPD cleats but Ritchey cleats fit Shimano pedals.

So you can have road shoes and/or MTB shoes and/or touring shoes.
judged, insulted, gone

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:12 pm

I'd never known anything else other that SPD-SL pedals, and the clipping in only on one side.

The walking around in shoes for those is quite easy - feels fairly stable and clipping in/out of them is easy enough after some practice. You can dial down the tension in them if it's too strong. If you go over in a big way, you'll get out of the pedals pretty easily. Unfortunately, I know that from experience. :roll: (big ouch - still).

The carbon-soled shoes are good for helping clip-in and out, and keeping the shoes firmly strapped up (mine have velcro straps and a ratchet system at the top) will also help you clip-out more easily.

Speedplay Zeros being double sided could be a benefit sometimes. But in any case, whichever one you choose - get used to them somewhere quite and safe where you've got nothing to distract you. Car park, or a nice wide and firm grassy lawn (more preferable).

Dr.Nate

Postby Dr.Nate » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Looks like I'm leaning towards speedplay zeros ... Just have to decide which shoes to get?

Anyone have any experience with sidi shoes? I like the look of them ... Especially in white!

sherlock

Postby sherlock » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Dr.Nate wrote:Looks like I'm leaning towards speedplay zeros ... Just have to decide which shoes to get?

Anyone have any experience with sidi shoes? I like the look of them ... Especially in white!
Sidi shoes are nice. Expensive, but nice. I don't think anyone will stop you from buying a pair, but just make sure they fit well.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Dr.Nate wrote:Looks like I'm leaning towards speedplay zeros ... Just have to decide which shoes to get?

I've got a 6y old non carbon pair, my first road bike shoes. They are size 45 and stretched with age and rain, but are fine with two pairs of socks.
I recently bought Sidi Ergo 2s, which seem like a narrower build, hence I bought size 46.

If you have a broader foot, I'd suggest you try Specialized and North Wave.

The S-Works Road compares favorably with Ergo 2 and the specs of Ergo 3 which recently came out. I fit into a size 44 from memory, and they were very comfortable from the outset, moreso than the ergo 2. They are also much shorter than ergo 2, which is an advantage for shoe/front wheel clearance.

The North Wave were used by Dave Alley in his recent world record ride around Australia. They felt as comfortable as I remember Shimano shoes, though I haven't tried Shimano or other brands for a year.

In saying that, I went a size up with ergo 2 so I could fit an custom orthotic and in the shoe wedge. The shoes have softened nicely after a few hundred k and feel great now. I'd also recommend carbon soles. They wont' be as inclined to deform the cleats when tightened up, which can compromise cleating in and out.

edit: if you are going to buy sidi, keep an eye out for the ergo 3. I believe they don't require a conversion plate for speedplay pedals, like the ergo 2 does.

Dr_Mutley

Pedals....

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Or buy the sidi in their mega (wider) sizing as they do run narrow...
The ergo 3s have speedplay specific soles now as well, which is another big plus!

skull

Postby skull » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:17 am

pedals, look keo blades. They have a great platform and are hell light.

shoes bont a-ones, lightest and stiffest shoes on the market, their block height is lower than the other shoes on the market so it give a feel of more of your foot on the pedal.

cavet: i was once affiliated with Bont but have not been for the last 16 years.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:18 pm

Has anyone tried keywin pedals? A mate swears by them. Pretty good weight (197g/pair) for the price ($260 nzd).
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

brendeng

Postby brendeng » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:16 pm

+1 for Speedplay's. I have 2 pairs of Zero Stainless.

I use Mavic Zxellium Ultimate shoes and the low stack height is great.
Fondriest TF2, Dura-Ace, Deda Cockpit, TWE 50 Carbon Clincher wheelset, Gore Cables, Elite Cages, Selle Italia SLR Team
Look 695 SR, Dura-Ace Di2, FSA Carbon Bars, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's, Elite Cages, Prologo Nago Evo

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:24 pm

grimbo wrote:Has anyone tried keywin pedals? A mate swears by them. Pretty good weight (197g/pair) for the price ($260 nzd).
Ask the 2nd Womble, pretty sure he's mentioned them.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Clubagreenie

Postby Clubagreenie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:37 pm

Hey mate ,

Over the years of riding I have been thru everythign except Speedplay ... so will leave them out ..

Shim Dura Ace 78 series .. good robust unit .. good adjust ability ... what I didn't like : nothing really except the needle bearings were a bit dodgy over time.

Time Iclick carbon... great pedal .. nay sensational better than the Shimano with the ease of clipping in/out : what I didn't like ... the cleats were too soft and cracked

Look Keo 2 : so much like the Shimano good alround pedal but squeeked alot between the cleat and the pedal plate.

Look Keo Carbon Blades Ti 16nm .. current pedals ... love them a step up from the Iclicks .. the screws are a bit dodgy in the cleats but I replaced mine with stainless ones .. ... the only problem I have had was to pull them apart and re grease the needle bearings as they must use ear wax at the factory .
I don''t think I would go backwards on this list now after being spoilt
"My father touched me like that once. To this day, he still has to wear orthopedic shirts."

At the end of the day , it is the Indian , not the arrow .. so ride what you want

Dr.Nate

Postby Dr.Nate » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:29 am

Anyone know when the Sidi ergo 3 or the genius 6.6 speedplay shoes will be available in AUS ? I have searched everywhere and most LBS dont have them .... I will buy from a local store so i can try them on and get some help with adjusting the cleats and pedal fitting....

Thanks