Do i need insurance?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Do i need insurance?

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:35 pm

ireland57 wrote:Our commissaire gave a little speech today after a finish line sprint accident (one rider down; bike damaged; rider scraped but ok) and said that UCI have started a rule change for road and track.

Basically it was "if you cause an accident you may be legally liable for damage to man and machine" only now the rules will be aiding the claims not being neutral as I guess they were before.

I have theft and damage insurance as part of house policy but I'm starting to rethink.....may need more.
Where is this documented?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

david198728

Postby david198728 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:03 pm

if its a high speed crash. your body will receive more damage than ur bike. so i think ur personal insurance is more important than bike insurance

jgunner

Postby jgunner » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Guys, just wondering, if you keep your bike in the balcony of your home, is this normally covered by the insurance? As Balcony is part your home but it's in open air space.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:41 pm

jgunner wrote:Guys, just wondering, if you keep your bike in the balcony of your home, is this normally covered by the insurance? As Balcony is part your home but it's in open air space.
I don't know, but my insurance would be a solid, high security D-lock (e.g. Abus Granit X Plus 54) with a separate cable/chain with it's own lock for the wheels/2nd lock.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:06 am

jgunner wrote:Guys, just wondering, if you keep your bike in the balcony of your home, is this normally covered by the insurance? As Balcony is part your home but it's in open air space.
Check the PDS, when I was looking at different insurance companies, some stated that the bike had to locked in a secured shed, garage or room in the house.
I went with Bikesure who don't have any locking requirements at home or out and about.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:55 am

If you're referring the your home policy you will need the check the policy for either sub limits or exclusions relating to theft in the open air. It's not unusual for this time of claim to be limited (or on some cheaper policies even excluded).
i love my bike(s)

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:12 am

in the 3yrs i've been with QBE i've made 2 claims.
First one happened when a car ran me off the road. I didn't get the number plate. I was paid $3800 minus $500 excess
Second one was me driving into my garage with bike still on the car's roof rack. I was paid $5700 minus $500 excess.
Second one happened 4 weeks ago.

QBE didn't pay for the Thule ProRide bike carrier as it's part of the car, car insurance :evil:

Both claims were assessed and approved within 2 weeks .
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

kosh

Postby kosh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 am

gururug wrote:
GraemeL wrote:Anyone here used Cycle Cover?
snip...
Sounds too good to be true. I'd be very surprised if they lived up to all these claims or they can deliver this at a viable price.
I went with CycleCover a couple of years ago. Home+Contents+Bike insurance. My total premiums actually went down from my previous H&C insurer. Last month I cracked a carbon rim and they covered a new wheelset, no further questions, two week turnaround. I was very (pleasantly) surprised. Thumbs up for CycleCover.