commuting + backpack = abs

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:56 am

do to time restraints i have not be doing any core work

but i have been commuting with a heavy back packs and my abs "look" stronger

so my question is, does wearing a heavy back pack while riding increase your core strength?
when do we stop for coffee???

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:55 pm

This makes sense....

rkelsen

Re: commuting + backpack = abs

Postby rkelsen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:47 pm

I'd love to know the answer to this question, since I carry a backpack daily.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Maybe if I didn't drink so much beer I could help answer this question.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:29 pm

rkelsen wrote:I'd love to know the answer to this question, since I carry a backpack daily.
well what is the six pack like?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Comedian wrote:
rkelsen wrote:I'd love to know the answer to this question, since I carry a backpack daily.
Gets a bit warm in the back pack after a while ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:01 pm

I just got a sore back when I rode with a heavy backpack, I feel a little gypped

ATP

Postby ATP » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:54 pm

Carrying a heavy backpack and maintaining a good posture will work your "core", which includes the abs and lower back.

For above... A sore back could be a result of not maintaining a good posture, or simply muscular aches from maintaining a good posture.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Comedian wrote:
More like a slab at the moment.

After about 15,000km me gut is noticeably smaller... I just wanna know how much longer it'll be until I'm ripped... :lol:
ATP wrote:Carrying a heavy backpack and maintaining a good posture will work your "core", which includes the abs and lower back.
Woohoo! I'll keep it up then... :mrgreen:

teamdanby

Postby teamdanby » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:08 pm

some intresting replys here
and i need to say i'm pretty happy with them as i do commute with a backpack daily not that i would call it heavy or anything but it has got some weight to it

at first it did really hurt my back a bit and found myself rubbing deep heat into my back to make it feel better but now i hardly notice it at all

so with what has been said about it helping in some small way plus the 100 situps i do each morning once i get to work it should be all helping to improve my abs and back and reduce my fat even more
Daily comuter
Gaint XTC mtb
city slicker wheels for the week
kenda nevegal for the tracks on the weekends

sherlock

Postby sherlock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Unless the backpack actually weighs a decent amount, the difference made to your core strength would be immeasurable. In other words, if you regularly carry a backpack on your commute, don't think it's going to make a real difference. If you want to strengthen your core, do exercises aimed at that purpose :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Backpack with laptop just makes my lower back excruciatingly sore. Panniers = relief from this and a cooler more comfortable ride to boot.

Separate core strength exercises designed by my physio have made a much greater difference to my stability, balance and bike control.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:18 pm

I carry a very heavily loaded backpack almost every day to work (and back). And unlike on a bike, I have to compensate for the backpack by pulling forward more than a cyclist I imagine. Yet I don't think it does anything exceptional for my abs. I suspect that most benefit I get to abs would be to the obliques due to the constant left/right adjustment required on a unicycle, something not applicable to a bicycle. We know that tension/relax/tension/relax (even at a moderate loading) of a major muscle does far more for development than just applying a constant moderate force.

However the riding clearly does great things for my lower back that used to be subject to a lot of back spasms. Does it do the same for bikes?

The difficulty of answering such questions for oneself is that we tend to see what we expect to see.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

biftek

Postby biftek » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:08 pm

it might make some difference but it wont make you ripped , abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym , a low fat diet is the key to make those abs stand out

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:53 pm

biftek wrote:it might make some difference but it wont make you ripped , abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym , a low fat diet is the key to make those abs stand out
There is an element of truth to that. I ride and exercise a lot but watching my portions makes more difference than the distances that I ride if I am to remain in my target band. And with limited extra around the middle I get an approximation of abs that is otherwise not there regardless of the number of crunches, situps and obliques work I do.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Comedian wrote: well what is the six pack like?
Nice for a start
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:06 pm

I just found riding with a backpack made my arse/groin really sore, when riding with my bag on a rack I have no problems.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:26 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
biftek wrote:it might make some difference but it wont make you ripped , abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym , a low fat diet is the key to make those abs stand out

ColinOldnCranky has got it right....to have abs stand out, you must strip the fat away for them to be seen..and this comes down to what you eat and how much exercise you do..its not rocket science...and this is why a large portion of society is overweight now..they shovel anything into their gobs and dont exercise

I ride with a backpack with laptop in it and apart from making the lower back sore, there's not much else it is doing..mind you the more I ride with the backpack, the more I am getting used to it and less sore I am.