blog of my trip across australia

oddturtle

blog of my trip across australia

Postby oddturtle » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:42 pm

hello,

a few months ago I rode from canberra to perth. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time, since I am not really a big cycling kind of guy but hey, I did it and I wish I had found this forum before starting.

I thought some of you here might appreciate this blog I wrote if you are planning on a similar tour and might like to know a little about what to expect, especially if you were like me at the time and had no idea what you are getting yourself into.

my blog is at www.canberratoperth.blogspot.com ignore the day count because I screwed it up while going insane crossing the Nullarbor. The first day starts at the bottom and you work your way up.

I am also selling the bike I used. I dont know what the deal is with advertising stuff for sale here is but its a mongoose randonneur. I am having a hard time selling it because I guess the market for touring bikes is pretty small. I can give more info about it on request.

timbo

Postby timbo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:07 am

Congratulations on your epic ride. You should do a lap of honour (just one will do). I'll read it in full when I'm on night shift at work and there are no bosses around to hassle me about getting back to work. Just one thing though. Can you explain how you had to pay $10 for a whale watching permit. I always thought that this was a priviledge (spelling?) we get for free, especially out in the middle of nowhere.

oddturtle

Postby oddturtle » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:14 pm

Yeah I thought the permit thing was a little crap. Partly because I was doing the trip on a tight budget but mostly on principle. They had built this wooden platorm alog the cliff face you could stand on. To get onto this area you had to go through this modern wood and glass building where the dude takes your money. I guess your money goes toward building and maintaining the platform.

Pat

Across Australia

Postby Pat » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:37 pm

Great job on the trip across Oz. Inspirational stuff.
Blog and Photos made for a good read.
We have just finished a 5 day reconnaissonce trip Cycling and Driving from Melb to Adel along the Gr8 Ocean Rd, Grampians to Coonawarra then Adel. Future cycle tourism route.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:45 pm

Hey Pat, give a yell when you're in Adelaide please (especially if you need a writer/word smith, me being one ... but we aren't allowed to talk business here but if you need word skills from a cyclist, I'm here).

Richard

Pat

Postby Pat » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:21 pm

Hi Richard.

Roger that.
Will let you know when back in Adel, Would be nice to be there for the Tour Down Under. enjoy.
My wife and I returned June 06 from a self funded round world Photo Journalism adventure.
Managed to squeeze alittle riding in Whistler Canada Mtb, With Kerala Mtb Sth India check www.keralamtb.com and street daredevilling in Hanoi Vietnam.
All good fun.

Keep the pedals turning.
Pat

tuco

Postby tuco » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:11 am

Had a quick look at your trip web site.
I'll have to read it all when I get some spare time.

That hand injury looked painful. That's why I wear gloves.

Well done.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:10 pm

Pat - Location Melbourne&Adeliade

Thats a long commute !!!!!!

Welcome to the forum,

Cheers Michael.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

katemichellepope

Congrats on your journey & interesting blog! : )

Postby katemichellepope » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:01 am

Hey there! I really enjoyed reading your blog took me back to some of my hardest days, the hardest being Day 12, around mid September which began with 8+ hours uphill in rain on dirt road, which then turned to mud, then slush & ice, started snowing whilst we were sitting in a tent with a yak herder after hitching on the back of his nephew's tractor for 10 kms, freezing, slipping & sliding around in the back of the tray. After warmer by the fire, drying our clothes & sampling the staple Tibetan cuisine of yak-butter tea & barley gflour rolled into balls we had to push on & make for the pass. I honestly thought I was going to die & freeze on the side of the mountain and was hoping & praying a vehicle would come but alas, it didn't. We finally reached the 5000+ metre pass after an exhausting 8 hours uphill but still had 30 kms downhill of swtichbacks/hairpin bends the whole way down & couldn't pick up too much speed because the road was shite & you'd spin out, fall over the edge of the cliff& die. I was frozen & probably in early stages of hypothermia, teeth chattering, shivering, unable to feel my hands or feet anymore. Finally made it to relatively flat section & back onto sealed road, then wild dogs came out & chased me at which point I was ready to say, "Fine, I give up, just eat me!" Pushed on & finally saw the lights of the little village up ahead. Came into town & caught up with my partner who took one look at me & shoved me into the nearest building which was turned out to be a guesthouse & even had a fire. Took me another 2 hours to stop shaking. In the end could only manage to drink some soup & crawl into bed. Woke up the next day refreshed & ready to keep riding!

Its funny but we were actually on the road at the same time, well at least for the first part of your journey.

I'm keen to do the East Coast of Oz, Great Ocean Rd & Tasmania some day.

I did my first cycle touring trip ever in August '06 & it was a beautiful, amazing & challenging journey riding more than 2000 kms over 21 days across 4000 & 5000m+ passes cycling from Chengdu in Sichuan Province, China to Lhasa, capital of Tibet. I don't do things in halves do I?! But anyway, I'd do it again in a second. 6 months has passed since then & I'm experiencing withdrawals and missing being on the road.

Keen to hit the road again & feel the wind in my hair for my next adventure ASAP. It'll more than likely be somewhere in China where I am based, SE Asia (Thailand/Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia/Indonesia) or in the Himalayas (Friendship Highway from Lhasa, Tibet - Khatmandu, Nepal or the Karaokoram H'way to Kashgar). Sth America (Peru, Macchu Picchu) is on my list too.

Just need to learn how to repair & fix my bicycle when its broken so I am more confident cycling on my own & I'll be right!

So when's the next journey? Also, I'm interested to know, how did you plan & research the trip?

Happy Cycling! : )

Kate

tuco

Re: Congrats on your journey & interesting blog! : )

Postby tuco » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:09 pm

katemichellepope wrote:Hey there! I really enjoyed reading your blog took me back to some of my hardest days, the hardest being Day 12, around mid September which began with 8+ hours uphill in rain on dirt road, which then turned to mud, then slush & ice, started snowing whilst we were sitting in a tent with a yak herder after hitching on the back of his nephew's tractor for 10 kms, freezing, slipping & sliding around in the back of the tray. After warmer by the fire, drying our clothes & sampling the staple Tibetan cuisine of yak-butter tea & barley gflour rolled into balls we had to push on & make for the pass. I honestly thought I was going to die & freeze on the side of the mountain and was hoping & praying a vehicle would come but alas, it didn't. We finally reached the 5000+ metre pass after an exhausting 8 hours uphill but still had 30 kms downhill of swtichbacks/hairpin bends the whole way down & couldn't pick up too much speed because the road was shite & you'd spin out, fall over the edge of the cliff& die. I was frozen & probably in early stages of hypothermia, teeth chattering, shivering, unable to feel my hands or feet anymore. Finally made it to relatively flat section & back onto sealed road, then wild dogs came out & chased me at which point I was ready to say, "Fine, I give up, just eat me!" Pushed on & finally saw the lights of the little village up ahead. Came into town & caught up with my partner who took one look at me & shoved me into the nearest building which was turned out to be a guesthouse & even had a fire. Took me another 2 hours to stop shaking. In the end could only manage to drink some soup & crawl into bed. Woke up the next day refreshed & ready to keep riding!
I'm not actually seeing the bit which would have me ready for another day of that!