Adelaides great Climbs

MichaelB

Re: Adelaides great Climbs

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote: Also Coachhouse Dr/Woodland way up through Teringie 2.7km, 10.2%, 280m gain. A lungbuster.
I presume that once on Coachhouse Drive, you then do a RH turn onto Woodland Way, and then another RH turn onto Teringie Drive before connecting up with Norton Summit Rd ?

Might give it a go in the near future, as managed Old Belair Rd Ok which is a bit steeper (10.8%), but not as long (2.1km).

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:56 pm

I actually go left onto Ridgeland and down to Norton Summit that way. The tough bit is the way Woodland just gets steeper and steeper to hit 20% at the top. Give it a go, a great challenge. My best time 12.50. http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-clim ... aspx?id=33

Have not done Old Belair, looks busy traffic wise.
Certified Brand Snob

Sumichino

Postby Sumichino » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:06 am

The average gradient for Coachhouse Drv/Woodland Way is a bit deceptive. There are sections were it levels off a bit to only 5% I think. The last kick is above 20% is what makes it really hard. Harder than Old Belair Road in my opinion. My best time up there is 13:44 but that was 2 years ago. Haven't done Old Belair since then as well.

bongo

Postby bongo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:42 am

Gee, I need to get riding more, all these rides are great. When training for TDU last year, it was up Gorge Rd, Tippett Rd across to Checkers Hill, and return via Gumeracha, Gorge Rd and then Torrens Hill and Ansteys Hill descent. Not sure on numbers but jelly legs by home. A demanding 75km loop for me.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:37 pm

Sumichino wrote:The average gradient for Coachhouse Drv/Woodland Way is a bit deceptive. There are sections were it levels off a bit to only 5% I think. The last kick is above 20% is what makes it really hard. Harder than Old Belair Road in my opinion. My best time up there is 13:44 but that was 2 years ago. Haven't done Old Belair since then as well.
Sounds a bit like the Lynton Trail route to get to the top of Belair Rd. That has some damn steep sections in it !!!

ginny247

Postby ginny247 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Cardy George wrote:There's also Sheoak Rd up the back of Belair National Park. I don't know the exact gradient but the road sign says 20%. I've only been up it once......

The last time down it, I hit a cateye which knocked both of my hands off the bars, as I was entering a chicane, just before the really steep section. Added new meaning to 'steering with my shoulders' :shock:
I've come off going down Sheoak Rd before, Wasn't fun.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:35 am

A new one for me, Retort hill. From Macclesfield take Greenhills Rd and up you go, 16%. Part of our race this Sunday goes up there. Should sort out the wheat from the chaff.
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:A new one for me, Retort hill. From Macclesfield take Greenhills Rd and up you go, 16%. Part of our race this Sunday goes up there. Should sort out the wheat from the chaff.
Need more detail than that !!! Length, and total rise please !!

Many laps of that hill or just one go ? Given you climbing training lately, it should be a snack for you !!

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:54 pm

What do people think are the best descents in terms of road quality? My hands ache after nearly every descent I have been down due to gripping the bars so hard to avoid coming off the bike.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:10 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote:A new one for me, Retort hill. From Macclesfield take Greenhills Rd and up you go, 16%. Part of our race this Sunday goes up there. Should sort out the wheat from the chaff.
Need more detail than that !!! Length, and total rise please !!

Many laps of that hill or just one go ? Given you climbing training lately, it should be a snack for you !!
http://ahvcc.businesscatalyst.com/Cours ... ntours.pdf

Here is the course Michael. Didn't measure but I would say 500m long. It's a hilly course so I hope to be in with a chance.

Best decent? I use Greenhill Rd mostly but I also live at the bottom so that works. Old Freeway is also good. Old Norton is the worst! The thing with decending is to relax and not grip too tight.
Certified Brand Snob

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote: The thing with decending is to relax and not grip too tight.
Yeah see if I do that the $hit road will send me over the handlebars.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:29 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote: The thing with decending is to relax and not grip too tight.
Yeah see if I do that the $hit road will send me over the handlebars.[/quote]
That's the thing, if you let the bike have it's way a bit the bumps are easier. Easier said than done though.

Which roads are you talking about Fresh?
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote: [Best decent? I use Greenhill Rd mostly but I also live at the bottom so that works. Old Freeway is also good. Old Norton is the worst! The thing with decending is to relax and not grip too tight.
+1

Old Belair is a hoot to descend as well

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Had a great ride yesterday with Daccordi Rider - met up with him and did most of his Alpine Challenge training route 9and he was gracious enough to keep it slow for us, but a great ride was had.

Thanks again for showing me the route, and will aim to do it one day.

Since taking 10 days off the bike before Xmas, have managed 314km with 4,952m of climbing in the past week. A PB by miles for me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Off for a flat recovery ride later tonight

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:44 pm

Went up Montacute Road for only the third time today and it's quickly becoming my favourite way up to Mount Lofty.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/138750357

For those that haven't given it a shot you really need to. Take the time to look at the views if you can, quite spectacular as you rise up out of Montacute and beyond.

Tim

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:00 pm

My try that one. Haven't been up there yet.

Thanks

Dr_Mutley

Adelaides great Climbs

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:33 am

MichaelB wrote:Had a great ride yesterday with Daccordi Rider - met up with him and did most of his Alpine Challenge training route 9and he was gracious enough to keep it slow for us, but a great ride was had.

Since taking 10 days off the bike before Xmas, have managed 314km with 4,952m of climbing in the past week. A PB by miles for me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cram that into 10hrs and that's 3 peaks!! Lol

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:14 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Had a great ride yesterday with Daccordi Rider - met up with him and did most of his Alpine Challenge training route 9and he was gracious enough to keep it slow for us, but a great ride was had.

Cram that into 10hrs and that's 3 peaks!! Lol
That in a week is more than enough, but in a single day, NFW !!

PA

Postby PA » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:38 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote: [Best decent? I use Greenhill Rd mostly but I also live at the bottom so that works. Old Freeway is also good. Old Norton is the worst! The thing with decending is to relax and not grip too tight.
+1

Old Belair is a hoot to descend as well
I used to ride up and down Old Belair or Windy Point going to school every day, in the 70's. :D

One memorable morning flying down the Old Belair on my Malvern Star Chopper I passed a Mini Moke with the side open and said "Nice day for a walk." The driver spun around so quick I am surprised he didn't drive off the edge.

Another time as I was coming into the first of the two tight bends my rear wheel locked up. After several tank slappers I landed and slid to a halt. I knew there was a car behind me so I reached out and dragged my bike over the top of myself to stop the car running it over.

Back in those days the Old Belair was a patchwork of covered pot holes and a drain that ran diagonally over the road just below the second of the two tight turns at the top.
Mouse magnet

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:34 pm

PA wrote:I used to ride up and down Old Belair or Windy Point going to school every day, in the 70's. :D

One memorable morning flying down the Old Belair on my Malvern Star Chopper I passed a Mini Moke with the side open and said "Nice day for a walk." The driver spun around so quick I am surprised he didn't drive off the edge.

Another time as I was coming into the first of the two tight bends my rear wheel locked up. After several tank slappers I landed and slid to a halt. I knew there was a car behind me so I reached out and dragged my bike over the top of myself to stop the car running it over.

Back in those days the Old Belair was a patchwork of covered pot holes and a drain that ran diagonally over the road just below the second of the two tight turns at the top.
Oh the memories! Flying down Old Belair on my Dualie MTB on a damp morning. The last right hander before the cemetery was a just a bit too greasy and I drifted up over the kerb, onto the gravel. On the brakes, couple fishtails, off the brakes to get some control to shoot the 3 metre gap between fence and sign post, all at about 30kmh.

I went back the next day to survey the scene to find the 3 metre gap had shrunk to about 3 feet........

Fun times!

PA

Postby PA » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:36 pm

Cardy George wrote:
I went back the next day to survey the scene to find the 3 metre gap had shrunk to about 3 feet........

Fun times!
It's the soil, it swells up when it has been damp.
Mouse magnet

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:57 am

Coach Rd, Skye is a fairly short but steep climb at the end of the parade - I think I calculated that it was 10% over 3km but it starts off less and then gets steeper. The last section is a killer.

Next time I try it I'm going to check out Haven road which connects Coach Road and Old Norton Summit Rd.

bongo

Postby bongo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:22 am

Hey Biffidus,
Haven Rd is gravel so no fun unless your on a mountain bike or quite the thrill seeker. Do you come down/go up Knox Tce when riding coach rd? If not might be worth checking out

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:43 pm

bongo wrote:Haven Rd is gravel so no fun unless your on a mountain bike or quite the thrill seeker. Do you come down/go up Knox Tce when riding coach rd? If not might be worth checking out
Aww. I have mtb slicks so that's no fun. I haven't tried Knox - is it steeper?

bongo

Postby bongo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:41 pm

Knox is the right hander after the water storage tank. It gives some relief from the climb for a bit before heading up and around into some switchbacks, before coming to an intersection. Turn left and the road will take you back to coach.Great little loop if short on time. Enjoy.