Lost ID

guidogad

Lost ID

Postby guidogad » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:06 pm

I've recently ventured into MTB and already made my first mistake: bought a frame too big for me.
So, before attempting to sell the frame again I'd like to find out what it actually is. It came to me with a rattle can spray job, no decals, no serial number, nothing.
The previous owner didn't know either.

I wouldn't make such a fuss about it but it seems to be quite special.
It's a 20" steel hard tail that weighs in under 4 lbs (1,800g) which is really only available in the super-duper category, right?
It's modern (ie disc only) and happy with a 100 mm fork.

Chances are, it's a custom built frame. The pre-pre-owner was at the Sunshine Cost, QLD.
On a generic level: Any custom frame builders of the modern day coming to mind from QLD?

Here is a picture. Detailed close up shots to follow. Any clue most welcome:
http://cdn01.trixum.de/upload2/D/0/D0nh ... 66685S.jpg

guidogad

Re: Lost ID

Postby guidogad » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:02 pm

couple more pics:

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:10 am

I'm not sure what it is, but have been looking for a large steel frame. If you decide to sell it I could be interested?

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:52 am

That is rather curious and it's a nice looking frame with neat welds. Its certainly not very old given its brake mounts and general style of construction. Given the vague history and rattle can paint job I do have to wonder if its been stolen at some point?

The lack of serial number is curious. It could come from a hobby builder, but I'd say most hobby builders would be coy about passing on their builds due to liability issues and what not. It could also be a prototype from a commercial custom builder, built to test a construction technique or frame feature?

Without serial number, decals, or any other markings I think you will have trouble identifing it. Showing it around to custom builders might help as they might know someone's style, but given the heritage they might also exclaim some thing like "Hey, thanks for bringing it back, some grub took it from my shed!"

My size too! Pity I don't have any spare dosh - I like steel, sigh.

A_P

Postby A_P » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:24 pm

guidogad

Postby guidogad » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Bloody hell, this could well be the very frame. The measurements are spot on, the location is where the previous owner said he bought it and there doesn't seem to be the slightest difference in any of the details visible on the pics. Plus, I found traces of red (might have been orange) when detailing the frame after it was sandblasted. The timing fits, too.
I've contacted the seller. We'll see if he knows more. I think the decals don't make sense though. They are from a Ducati Superspot motorbike, I'd say. I know Ducati went into bicycles, too, but only mass market I believe.

guidogad

Postby guidogad » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:12 pm

This is the bike indeed. I've been in contact with the pre-pre-owner now. The Ducati motorbike stickers are indeed a 'joke'. He confirms the frame as a custom built frame but didn't name the builder. I've inquired again but haven't heard back. The resoning above (hobby builder/ prototype/ stolen) are all very smart and will explain why this might be as far back as the trace will go. I suppose the only chance would be to discuss the frame with local builders in Sunshine Coast/ Queensland - that would certainly be a small number.