RAW in the press

Where speeds may exceed 60 kmph

RAW in the press

Postby scotto » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:07 pm

australian cycling (or whatever its called) had a 3 page feature on the fatman wheel race for RAw this season.
they didnt mention that the winner, who had a BMI of about 27, also seemed to have a body fat % of about 5% !!!
and yes, i am still bitter :wink:
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2368
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

by BNA » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:42 pm

BNA
 

Re: RAW in the press

Postby vander » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:42 pm

Stop being bitter and get your bottom out to Lidcombe for some more track racing :D
Image
vander
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 am
Location: North Strathfield, NSW

Re: RAW in the press

Postby roxii » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 am

It is in the current (Nov Dec) Bicycling Australia

Hope you liked it. Was trying to do it last year but never got around to it.

Its a great race with a great vibe and part of a great series that deserved some publicity.

Now write in and tell the Ed how much you liked it so I get more work! :D :D :D
roxii
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:54 am

Re: RAW in the press

Postby scotto » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:34 pm

not a bad idea. !
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2368
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: RAW in the press

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:14 pm

scotto wrote:australian cycling (or whatever its called) had a 3 page feature on the fatman wheel race for RAw this season.
they didnt mention that the winner, who had a BMI of about 27, also seemed to have a body fat % of about 5% !!!
and yes, i am still bitter :wink:


Stel is still annoyed about losing. He's been training hard for next year - for a better handicap, that is. :D

You should get yourself down to Lidcombe, Scotto. I hear the new commentator there is quite good.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3249
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: RAW in the press

Postby Beanzy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:10 am

It is also me in the Randwick Kit in the rather large photo of me! Im also a past winner of the event 8)

Was down at Lidcombe last Friday. Cant get there this week due to a meeting in the City.
Beanzy

Hillbrick Pista
Trek 1500 (modified)
Giant Yukon
Garmin 305
User avatar
Beanzy
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:21 pm
Location: Riverwood

Re: RAW in the press

Postby scotto » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:54 am

i'll be there tonight unless it rains
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2368
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: RAW in the press

Postby vander » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:40 pm

Great fun tonight. It hurt soo much!!! My legs are so sore. That points race was brutal!
Image
vander
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 am
Location: North Strathfield, NSW

Re: RAW in the press

Postby scotto » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:55 am

i was happy to place in the points race. the 16 lap scratch race was won once your break got away. i was at the back of the bunch, who decided not to follow. after a couple of laps of watching you three work well together and slip away i had got to the front of the bunch and spent a few laps alone trying to bridge the gap. with no support, it was all over, and i rolled around with the ex-world champ from waratahs who big dave talked up a lot before the start !!

i suffered immensely from being too highly geared. indoors and outdoors are two different beasts, and i guess a comination of wind and slower track surface meant i was barely able to spin a cadence above 80ish. next time i'll drop down 2 inches and see what happens
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2368
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: RAW in the press

Postby vander » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:22 am

scotto wrote:i was happy to place in the points race. the 16 lap scratch race was won once your break got away. i was at the back of the bunch, who decided not to follow. after a couple of laps of watching you three work well together and slip away i had got to the front of the bunch and spent a few laps alone trying to bridge the gap. with no support, it was all over, and i rolled around with the ex-world champ from waratahs who big dave talked up a lot before the start !!

i suffered immensely from being too highly geared. indoors and outdoors are two different beasts, and i guess a comination of wind and slower track surface meant i was barely able to spin a cadence above 80ish. next time i'll drop down 2 inches and see what happens


What are you on at the moment? Im trying to get my gearing right also, not sure whether I should drop it or not.

That first race hurt my legs for the others I think. I did a lot of work on the front of that pack cause I was feeling good and I bridged about 50 or so meters to get to them.

I do think they went in the scratch race a little early before everyone was ready but when I realised noone was chasing I had to get myself in there. That points race was INSANE! It hurt soo much. Was great fun. Not far having Harry in C being a really good B grader/ an ok A grader on the road.
Image
vander
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 am
Location: North Strathfield, NSW

Re: RAW in the press

Postby scotto » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:52 am

i went to 92 for indoor but last outdoor season i used 90 and could spin up a lot more. my top end was ok last night but i was buggered trying to sprint.
have to go home and double check those numbers now !
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2368
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: RAW in the press

Postby vander » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:06 am

scotto wrote:i went to 92 for indoor but last outdoor season i used 90 and could spin up a lot more. my top end was ok last night but i was buggered trying to sprint.
have to go home and double check those numbers now !


Oh ok wow. I need to drop my gears. I was on a 95 last night. Next week I think I might be on an 88. Gotta learn to spin.
Image
vander
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 am
Location: North Strathfield, NSW

Re: RAW in the press

Postby scotto » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:27 am

thats just rubbing it in...


oddly enough, when i look at online gear charts, they can all be a bit different. often by 0.5, but up to 2.


and now i'm confused

ie


http://www.aboc.com.au/tips-and-hints/t ... gear-chart
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
http://www.analyticcycling.com/GearChart_Page.html
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2368
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: RAW in the press

Postby vander » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:47 am

scotto wrote:thats just rubbing it in...


oddly enough, when i look at online gear charts, they can all be a bit different. often by 0.5, but up to 2.


and now i'm confused

ie


http://www.aboc.com.au/tips-and-hints/t ... gear-chart
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
http://www.analyticcycling.com/GearChart_Page.html

First 2 are the same. Third one is different for my gear anyway. Seems the third one is 1 cog up on the front ring for all of them. So 49 on the other ones is 50 on that. Possibly a typo or different wheel size?

Just figured it out its the wheel size. Sheldon brown has it at 27inch wheels the analytic cyclist one was 670mm wheels which is why there is a different if you up it to 27inch wheels they are the same.

I lied I was on 94.5 :P .

I will be getting my own bike in a few weeks cant wait for that. However I do not mind the bike I am currently on. Kind of grown to really like it.
Image
vander
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 am
Location: North Strathfield, NSW

Re: RAW in the press

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:53 pm

scotto wrote: i rolled around with the ex-world champ from waratahs who big dave talked up a lot before the start !!


And now you feel better because you beat a world champion rather than just beating me.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3249
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: RAW in the press

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Ok, here is the formula again! :roll: :)

Rear wheel multiplied by front chainring divided by rear sprocket. 27x50 divided by 14= 96 or 27x48 div 14= 92.5. forget about 700cc stuff. :|

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4592
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: RAW in the press

Postby vander » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:53 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Ok, here is the formula again! :roll: :)

Rear wheel multiplied by front chainring divided by rear sprocket. 27x50 divided by 14= 96 or 27x48 div 14= 92.5. forget about 700cc stuff. :|

Foo


That is for 700CC wheels. Or 27inch wheels.
Image
vander
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 am
Location: North Strathfield, NSW

Re: RAW in the press

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:23 pm

This was used for 27x1 high pressures (clinchers) and singles (tubs), which were the equivalent to todays 700cc tubs and clinchers. :wink:

If you want to get get real techo. Mark the tyre and ground and roll in a straight line and measure. :idea:

I would use 88inch for handicaps and 92.5 scratch races while building fitness. 87.75 was the gear of choice for madison/6 day racing/teams racing, because of the stop start nature. :)

I would ride 47x14=90.6 through the day or 89.4 (53x16) but I am talking 35yrs ago. :oops: But I do think, that these are good starting points until you get some reasonable fitness. :idea:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4592
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: RAW in the press

Postby vander » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:00 pm

foo on patrol wrote:This was used for 27x1 high pressures (clinchers) and singles (tubs), which were the equivalent to todays 700cc tubs and clinchers. :wink:

If you want to get get real techo. Mark the tyre and ground and roll in a straight line and measure. :idea:

I would use 88inch for handicaps and 92.5 scratch races while building fitness. 87.75 was the gear of choice for madison/6 day racing/teams racing, because of the stop start nature. :)

I would ride 47x14=90.6 through the day or 89.4 (53x16) but I am talking 35yrs ago. :oops: But I do think, that these are good starting points until you get some reasonable fitness. :idea:


I am looking at getting a new bike instead of using the clubs one but they said I can change my gearing on the clubs one if I want. Im currently on a 49-14 which is 94.5 so do you think a 49-15 or 88.2 would be the way to go?
Image
vander
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 am
Location: North Strathfield, NSW

Re: RAW in the press

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:27 am

It's hard to say Vander, not knowing you on a personal basis and how you ride, as in seeing you.

The problem is, that sometimes your legs just feel like crap and you end up riding a smaller gear than normal.
Possibly try the 88 for the warm up and see how that feels but if it is a night time event I would be more inclined to ride the bigger gear.
It's a shame you can't get onto the 92.6 because that was a good night time gear, that was nice to keep going and wind-up for the sprints.

Most times, if you ride a gear that is to big for you, you will end up looking like Noddy on the bike. Think, pumping up and down with your
shoulders and your head looks like you're listening to doof doof music. :wink:
Plus when your legs get tired it is easier to keep going and still have a half decent crack at the sprint if you're on a slightly smaller gear.

Hope this is of help to you Vander. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4592
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD


Return to Track

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot]


PM Issues
Known Bug - error message displayed when sending PM's caused by tapatalk. Read more


Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit