Another Brooks saddle question - seat height

EdwardM

Another Brooks saddle question - seat height

Postby EdwardM » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:51 pm

I recently caved in the rails on one side of my cheap, nasty Giant MTB seat on my trusty hybrid/commuter/tourer/Frankenbike.

Although I've never had any particular problems with saddle comfort, I've heard only good things about the Brooks, so I purchased myself a B17.

These are recommended for use where the handlebar height is approximately the same as, or slightly lower than, the seat.

My flat handlebars sit between two and three inches lower than my saddle. It's certainly not the sort of drop I have on my racing bike, which I think is where the narrower Brooks saddles are aiming. However, the B17 saddle has been putting more pressure on my perineum than I'd like. This is likely a result of improper saddle positioning (these are apparently very sensitive to fine adjustments in pitch, which my current seatpost doesn't allow) or just the fact that the saddle is so new, shiny and hard that my sit bones keep slipping forward slightly.

Still, I'd like to hear what others have experienced with this sort of set-up, just so I can rule this out.

Does anyone ride with this sort of distance between seat and handlebars?

Of course, I can always just raise the handlebars, but that's tricky.

il padrone

Re: Another Brooks saddle question - seat height

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Yep, I have the same sort of drop, using flat bars. Sliding forward could be your problem. If the saddle is set flat, try tipping the nose up. Strange as it seems this can reduce your pressure problems by keeping your derriere more securely located on the wide rear of the saddle. The raised nose stops you sliding forwards.

My experience anyway.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Concur with above. I have one B17 narrow on a bike with about a 50mm drop from seat to bars. I had to tilt the nose upwards, thereby sitting me back towards the widest part and relieving the initial pressure I had after changing over. Worth a shot.

Jim

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:28 pm

+2 on my flatbar my b17 is slightly angled up, but on my roady the swift is level.Tim