Thorn Raven Nomad coming together

RonK

Re: Thorn Raven Nomad coming together

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:48 pm

While the discussion about Thorns attitude to kickstands rages, it's interesting to note that Surly recently posted a rant against them on the Surly blog. The resulting outrage prompted a further explanation in an attempt to placate the angry mob, whom it seems must have been preparing for a lynching.

Personally I disdain kickstands, but since the Pioneer frame incorporates a mount on the chainstay for a two-bolt Pletscher Comp I've decided to use it. Previously I've been happy to use a Clickstand.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:12 am

RonK wrote:While the discussion about Thorns attitude to kickstands rages, it's interesting to note that Surly recently posted a rant against them on the Surly blog. The resulting outrage prompted a further explanation in an attempt to placate the angry mob, whom it seems must have been preparing for a lynching.
yep and then they go on to say ...
We recommend the use of two leg kickstands such as the Pletscher. Such a design helps reduce the potential for chainstay flex compared to that which a loaded bike leaning on a kickstand single leg can impose. And because of the extra leg and the placement, they tend to be the most stable in our experience.
which I assume is this one ...

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:49 am

Aushiker wrote:yep and then they go on to say ...
We recommend the use of two leg kickstands such as the Pletscher. Such a design helps reduce the potential for chainstay flex compared to that which a loaded bike leaning on a kickstand single leg can impose. And because of the extra leg and the placement, they tend to be the most stable in our experience.
Surly were right. As the blog says - they're *ugly...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Aushiker wrote:
which I assume is this one ...

That is the exact stand my mate Rob used on our outback tour. He found it to be decidedly unstable for a loaded touring bike..... to the extent that he came to hate it by the end of the tour.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:21 am

... ip ... How is the grip bell going? Are they a quality item? Did you need to cut down the Ergon length to reduce the hand stretch to the brake lever? ... AND ... Where did you buy the mirror from?
Cheers
Greg

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:21 pm

gregmacc wrote:... ip ... How is the grip bell going? Are they a quality item? Did you need to cut down the Ergon length to reduce the hand stretch to the brake lever? ... AND ... Where did you buy the mirror from?
Cheers
Greg
I don't know about ip, but I have the same mirror and got it from SJS cycles, however I just found that flyingfurniture has the same mirrors and for a cheaper price, might be an idea to ask Ian about them. I'm getting 2 more mirrors on my new recumbent I've just ordered
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks Baalzamon

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:15 pm

gregmacc wrote:... ip ... How is the grip bell going? Are they a quality item? Did you need to cut down the Ergon length to reduce the hand stretch to the brake lever? ... AND ... Where did you buy the mirror from?
Hi

The gripbell is fine, working well. It's a Mirrycle bell, so pretty good quality. The only negative is that its ding is a bit tinny and high pitched. I do like the 'ding DONG' of the lowrider Big Bell on the Shogun - but it's a bit of a monster to carry on a touring bike :o .

The Ergon grips are as supplied. I like the wider grips, gives me the chance to place the hands wide on the wings, or tuck in close for head-wind riding and fast descents. The Cyclestar mirror is a B&M component that I bought from SJS Cycles. Next time I need one I'll keep Flying Furniture in mind. They stock them for their velocycles of course.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:13 am

il padrone wrote:
Next time I need one I'll keep Flying Furniture in mind. They stock them for their velocycles of course.
Hi IP,
any chance of a link to the mirrors?
I'm having one of those days not being able to see the wood for the trees.
No probs finding
http://www.flyingfurniture.com.au/shop/ ... ccessories
Just no luck with their mirrors :(
Cheers
Aidan
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:32 am

Ah now with flyingfurniture I was informed by just4thehelliboutit that not all the stuff he has is on the website, so you will need to email him and ask.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:36 am

Baalzamon wrote:Ah now with flyingfurniture I was informed by just4thehelliboutit that not all the stuff he has is on the website, so you will need to email him and ask.
Thanks for the heads up Stuart :!: :D

Slim

Opportunity knocks

Postby Slim » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:08 am

Spotted on the Thorn website:

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/ind ... ;topicseen

Could be a bargain for someone thinking about a Nomad.

If you can handle the color. :wink:

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:39 pm

My apologies if this has been answered before ... Where can I buy 2 Mirrycle Incredibell Grip Bells? ... having a difficult time trying to find a supplier online that won't rip me off with ridiculous postage charges :x
Thanks
Greg

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Actually ... I may have answered my own question ... US $36 for 2 grip bells (without grips) direct from Mirrycle ... $13.50 per bell and $9 for postage ... Has anyone been able to better that?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:12 pm

Mine came from my LBS (Cycle Science in Mitcham, Vic) for $29.95. Cheaper on-line, but it was one of the four components I sourced from Australian retailers. Guess what the other three were :mrgreen:

Just decided that I don't trust the crack that is appearing in the nose of the Brooks Conquest, as I'm leading up to a major tour. So last week I did the Proofide treatment and fitted the Swift. I need to give it some riding time before we head off for 3 weeks in Tasmania on Dec 27th. The Swift looks loverly, but not a surprise - it's a good bit narrower and decidedly harder. It's going to be a long battle to break it in. The same saddle on my road bike has barely any more flex, after over 4000kms :o . However it has always been the right shape for me and given no discomfort. The Oppy showed me that it only really began to hurt the butt after 300kms (in one day).
Mandatory helmet law?

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:07 pm

RonK wrote:
Personally I disdain kickstands.
In any large group of loaded touring bikes, one can easily distinguish, at a great distance, the bikes that have a kickstand from those that do not. The bikes that do not have a kickstand will be scattered about, leaning on benches, trees, gates, fences, posts and inadequate shrubs. The bikes that have a kickstand will be lying on the ground.

I once went on tour with a fanatic who kept his hammer, two of his guy ropes and two of his tent pegs on top of his load ...
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:20 pm

ausrandoman wrote:The bikes that do not have a kickstand will be scattered about, leaning on benches, trees, gates, fences, posts and inadequate shrubs. The bikes that have a kickstand will be lying on the ground...
Hmm.... ??

Not my experience :wink: .

Mandatory helmet law?

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:02 pm

il padrone wrote:
ausrandoman wrote:The bikes that do not have a kickstand will be scattered about, leaning on benches, trees, gates, fences, posts and inadequate shrubs. The bikes that have a kickstand will be lying on the ground...
Hmm.... ??

... most definitely not mine either ...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:15 pm

The thing is... there are kickstands and kickstands. Some are very good, some are pretty poor.

Centre-mount stands are generally less stable. Dual-leg stands have the one advantage that they lift the rear wheel and can be used as a workstand. This is also a disadvantage, as when the rear panniers are loaded it's the front wheel that lifts and the steering swings about. Centre-mounted side stands are particularly poor for loaded tourers, as when the bike is on the stand the steering will turn sideways and the angle of lean changes, causing the bike to topple.

Rear-stay-mounted side-stands are generally better. If the steering swings it has little effect on the stand. However some don't throw the leg out wide enough to correctly support a pannier load. The cheaper, frequently available pressed alloy designs are like this.

This is mine on the old bike - a Greenfields stand. Alloy and very light, but it has lasted for around 6-7 years so far. Note how much wider it swings. This is what gives better support and makes the bike very stable.

The stand on the Thorn Nomad is a Pletscher Zoom - even better at holding the bike fully loaded. Love it :mrgreen:

Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:27 am

gregmacc wrote:
il padrone wrote:
Hmm.... ??

... most definitely not mine either ...
Nor mine overall. In particular the stand on the Surly has worked well for me.

The stand on the Bob trailer was more of an issue in combo with the mountain bike but I suspect that this was more an issue with weight distribution than the stand.

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:58 pm

I posted a couple of links a while ago to some aftermarket Rohloff shifters.
I'm not positive but think they were different to one I spotted at SJS cycles today - suitable for drop handlebars
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gilles-berth ... prod27131/
Correct me if I'm wrong or its been posted before and I'll delete my post.
Cheers
Aidan :D

Max

Postby Max » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:16 pm

I haven't seen that one before, rifraf, thanks for the link! :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Max wrote:I haven't seen that one before, rifraf, thanks for the link! :D

Max
Your very welcome Max.
Have you been perusing the web reviews of the Vivente Randonneur bike?
Spotted any good prices.
I had a look ages ago and thought they appeared well spec'ed.
Has anything else caught your eye?
Not sure what your ride is currently but if theres room for racks have you thought about
chucking on some lower gearing (chainrings and cassette) whilst you determine if touring regularly is for you.
A Mum and Daughter Taswegian holiday sounds just great.
Before my mother was struck down with dementia you couldn't have gotten her near a tent for all the tea in China.
And she was a big tea drinker!!!!
I did check out your current steed once ages ago and seem to remember a racing style bike with drops?
How did you go height wise next to Ronk as its rumored he may decide to sell the Sabbath Silk Route once he's got the Van Nicholas Pioneer
just how he wants it.
Cheers
Aidan :D

Max

Postby Max » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Hey rifraf,

It's tough to find reviews on the Randonneur, but those I've found have all been positive. I think it's a really good value bike. I haven't really been looking at any other bikes. There's no real urgency about it for now.

My current commuter is a Specialized Dolce, with racks and panniers. It's running an Apex groupset (50/34, 11-32), which I think is about as low as it gets for road bike gearing. It does the job well, and yes, the plan is to use it for touring until a decision is made one way or the other whether touring is for me.

Ron's a touch taller than I am. I don't think his Silk Route would be a good fit for me. And yes, I was surreptitiously checking out his bike size :)

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Just did the first oil change on the Thorn Nomad - 5200kms. A bit of a surprise to find that I only pulled out a shade over 25mls of cleaning oil plus lube oil, which is about the amount of cleaning oil I put in. I've had some oil-seeping at times, but I can't have lost all of the original oil - surely ? Was it running on the 'smell of an oily rag' ??

Hmmm..... :?
Mandatory helmet law?