Rim Brakes for a touring bike - Suggestions?

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi there,

After my recent tour i found that i need a better set of brakes so just looking around atm, any suggestions?

Bike is Surly crosscheck, currently running Avid 6 brakes cantilever brakes so similar would be a bonus, or some road brake lever brakes compatible. Dont mind spending some dollars for a good set!

Thanks -)

rifraf

Re: Rim Brakes for a touring bike - Suggestions?

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:29 am

Hi PB, are you using drop handlebars and racing/road bike levers?
If so I imagine this may be your main issue and not your Avid 6's :D

I'm happy enough with my xtr v-brakes and lx levers on my bike (flat bar)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:38 am

Ok I just did a google on your bike and brakes.
It appears your bike has the traditional drop bar racer look.
You've some choices it would appear but not too many so you wont have to scratch your head for too long.
http://www.phred.org/~alex/bikes/brakes.html
Hope this is still relevant and helps :D
These are reletively new - New Model! BRL44 Cane Creek SCR-5V "Æro" levers,
for direct-pull ("V-style") brakes
http://road.cc/content/review/12339-tek ... rop-levers

Oh and you could always consider changing over to disks - and yes it has been done by some in the forum -
check out the search function.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31034

Further reading:
http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html
http://sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html

I reckon that'll get you started

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:15 am

Shimano XTR are pretty much the best working V-brakes, Avid Single Digit Ultimates being the other but the pads need to be changed asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... ;-)

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:48 am

If you want some bling, upgrade to Avid Shorty Ultimates. A mate has them on his new Cx bike and is very happy. it was an upgrade over the standard Tektros. Easy to setup and powerful. You can run them wide for mud clearance or bring them in if your panniers hit. This position offers more power too. Review here...http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-39813/

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:15 am

To use the Road Lever and Canti mount, "Mini V-Brakes" will fit and work perfectly.

Several brands, Promax, etc, metal backed shoes with replaceable pads are available.
Last edited by gclark8 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
George.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:28 pm

gclark8 wrote:To use the Road Lever and Canti mount, "Mini V-Brakes" will fit and work perfectly.
Well, mini v-brakes work adequately, but because of the short arms they lack real bite and there may be clearance problems if mudguards are to be fitted. They would hardly be an improvement on cantilever brakes.

I replaced the rather pathetic cantilever brakes on my old LHT with inexpensive Tektro v-brakes and levers from Jenson USA. Tektro 857AL v-brakes have longer arms for fender clearance, and this also gives them extra bite. The RL520 levers are a better shape than the OEM Tektro levers with smaller span from lever to bar which allows them to be mounted higher on the bend for a more comfortable hand position. The brakes went from indifferent to excellent. The Cane Creek SCR-5V levers are in fact re-branded Tektro RL520's. Another linear pull lever option is the Dia Compe 287V. However any of these levers with the v-brake of your choice will be more powerful than the cantilever brakes (although pad selection may also be a factor). And be aware that price is not a reliable indicator of performance.
Uncle Just wrote:If you want some bling, upgrade to Avid Shorty Ultimates.
I have these on my Sabbath. Despite the bling they work no better than any other cantilever brake, and I wouldn't recommend them if you want more stopping power. They are only just adequate for controlling the speed of a loaded touring bike on steep descents, and you are likely to develop arm pump from squeezing them - I did.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:18 pm

G'day

From my reading on the likes of the Surly LHT owners list and see what is used in cyclocross the recommended approach seems to be to go with cantilevers which are a 90 degree angle to the rim. The Kore Cantilever is but one example. There are other models/brands around the place. c r c has a few shown.

Andrew
Andrew

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Excellent, thanks for all the info.

Yes, i have road levers/dropbars and want to keep them as i like the aero position.

Never realized you could run V-brakes and road levers which is the reason i wasnt interested in proper v-brakes.

In that case Cane Creek SCR-5V with some XTR v brakes could be an option if there is enough clearance for racks/mudguards.

Reason i dont want to go with disc brakes is because of the spare parts and things that can possibly go wrong with them on a tour, love them on my MTB tho.

Originally was looking at getting shortys ultimates but heard they can be a pain to adjust and you need a spanner and an allen key to do it as well and may not be the best for a loaded bike.

Someone recommended TRP cx9 mini v-brakes that would work with normal road levers but since road levers+v brakes combo can be done i would be more interested in such setup.

Will look into cantilevers with 90 degree as well, i know TRP make some.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:04 pm

polishbiker wrote:i know TRP make some.
They do indeed. Got a spare $280? :)

Andrew
Andrew

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:17 pm

yeah i looked at them -) i dont mind spending good $ for something thats going to perform well, it should last for a long time after all.

anyone has these brakes on their loaded tourer?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:17 pm

In that case Cane Creek SCR-5V with some XTR v brakes could be an option if there is enough clearance for racks/mudguards.

That's my setup on my LHT and the brakes have plenty of power and clearance fully loaded with racks and mudguards but the XTR pads are not a happy combo with Aeroheat rims. I'm experimenting with different pads that don't chew the rim surface.
One nice feature with the Cane Creek levers is that like my old 94 Chorus Ergo levers, they have a button to open the v brake just that bit wider to assist the noodle release on the V brake.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:24 pm

polishbiker wrote:yeah i looked at them -) i dont mind spending good $ for something thats going to perform well, it should last for a long time after all.

anyone has these brakes on their loaded tourer?
These are the same design as the Avid Shorty Ultimate cantilevers I have on my Sabbath. Despite looking good the performance is ordinary compared to v-brakes. The only reason to use them on a loaded tourer is if you want STI levers. V-brakes are much more effective, and remain consistent as the pads wear. Cantilever brakes loose efficiency as the pads wear and lever angles change. Be prepared for arm pump on steep descents.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:36 pm

Cool.

i always been a fun of XT/XTR gear. Are XTR v brakes discontinued for this year? Cannot find any references and wiggle/c r c do not stock them anymore.

"The only reason to use them on a loaded tourer is if you want STI levers." - didint know that, i want to put a rohloff hub so STI levers will no longer be required, looks like the problem is solved then!

"Be prepared for arm pump on steep descents" - when going through VIC mountains it was exactly like that, gravel windy road, had to use my feet as well in order not to roll into a tree haha!

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:16 am

Uncle Just wrote:In that case Cane Creek SCR-5V with some XTR v brakes could be an option if there is enough clearance for racks/mudguards.

That's my setup on my LHT and the brakes have plenty of power and clearance fully loaded with racks and mudguards but the XTR pads are not a happy combo with Aeroheat rims. I'm experimenting with different pads that don't chew the rim surface.
One nice feature with the Cane Creek levers is that like my old 94 Chorus Ergo levers, they have a button to open the v brake just that bit wider to assist the noodle release on the V brake.
Quote: "Velocity is moving 100% of their alloy rim manufacturing to Jacksonville, Florida, starting in February 2012.

Via a press release on their website, the move should make them the only alloy rims made in America. Full PR follows:

Brothers and partners, Tom and John Black will begin manufacturing rims in Jacksonville, Florida in February 2012. Currently, all Velocity rims are made in Australia, and production will cease in Brisbane by the end of November.

Tom Black, the founder of Velocity, will be relocating from Australia to Florida where he will continue to oversee rim production at Velocity’s new manufacturing factory. Velocity’s distribution center will continue to operate out of Grand Rapids, Michigan as it has since 1992 and become their worldwide headquarters; with the Australian facility remaining as a distribution center for the Asian and Australian markets.

Velocity will be the only U.S. produced aluminum rim in the cycling industry. John Black, president of Velocity Worldwide, Inc., anticipates this to further propel the company as a leader in quality, ingenuity and customization customers have come to love and expect from Velocity."

schurms

Postby schurms » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:29 pm

I have a set of these on my Surly Cross check. Will post pictures of the bike in the next day or so..

Paul Component Engineering

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Uncle Just wrote:In that case Cane Creek SCR-5V with some XTR v brakes could be an option if there is enough clearance for racks/mudguards.

Hi Uncle Just,
what pads have you tried and with what success?
I share a similar setup with xtr brakes and Velocity Aeroheat rims, though in 20" 406's :D
They're new and I've only the front mounted so far, due to its dynamo hub, and I'm only using
the rear brake currently(if there a choice) till I can get a handle on which pads might be best and where to get them. :!:

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:44 pm

schurms wrote:I have a set of these on my Surly Cross check. Will post pictures of the bike in the next day or so..

Paul Component Engineering

Thanks, would like to see your setup, do you also use the bike for loaded touring with front/rear racks?

Most importantly how do rate the performance??

Avid Single Digit Ultimate seem to be a nice kit as well so considering them too.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi

Here is another option ... Paul Neo-Retro

These are high performance brakes. Powerful, crisp, snappy, and with excellent modulation; the best cantis I’ve ever used. This particular set replaced the already very nice Tektro CR720s on my Rivendell. The Pauls are a clear step up in performance, quality, looks, and ease of use.

Discussed at EcoVelo.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:04 pm

RonK wrote:The RL520 levers are a better shape than the OEM Tektro levers with smaller span from lever to bar which allows them to be mounted higher on the bend for a more comfortable hand position.
There is a bit of a review of the RL520 levers on CGOAB.

Andrew
Andrew

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:48 am

Hi Uncle Just,
what pads have you tried and with what success?

I've fitted Koolstop dual compound pads but it's early days, so not sure yet how they will perform under loaded conditions.

glennb

Postby glennb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:51 pm

RL520 hoods are rock hard.

For those used to rubber hoods I'd suggest comfy non-linear levers in conjunction with with Travel Agent devices and V-brakes.

The RL520 shape also doesn't lend itself well to the palm-on-peak-of-hood position - shimano STI levers seem best for this.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:20 pm

glennb wrote:For those used to rubber hoods I'd suggest comfy non-linear levers in conjunction with with Travel Agent devices and V-brakes.
I've tried Travel Agents - they were rubbish. Anyone who wants a set can have mine. Be aware that you probably won't get the rear one to clear the rack stays.

STI level compel the use of cantilevers - the OP has them already and is looking for better brakes.

glennb

Postby glennb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Did you have too much or too little mechanical advantage with the use of Travel Agents?

You can fine tune either way via V-brake arm lengths and shoe spacers.

Avid's are fine as far as canti's go, only way the OP's going to increase brake power is by going V or disk (or brake booster if flex is an issue).

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:12 pm

I think I've got polishbiker onto making a touring bike now. He had a test ride on my Thorn Nomad. Loved my brakes so he might be getting similar that ip and I have.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810