Bike Fit In Adelaide

Dr_Mutley

Bike Fit In Adelaide

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:55 pm

MichaelB wrote:
bracko wrote:thanks all :) I wouldn't mind something closer into adelaide if possible.

have been given a quote of $150 by Bio-Mechanics Cycles. anyone have any experience from them? They mentioned it'd take ~1.5hrs and i would get the measurements at the end.... sounds reasonable, but i don't know what the prices are like in Adelaide.
Brother in law has used them for other services and been happy. $150 for a bike fit seems to be the going rate (last time at Corsa it was $130, but that was 18 months ago).

Price sounds about right.
Corsa are now 160$, not that I'd now recommend them to anyone! :-)

limetang

Re: Bike Fit In Adelaide

Postby limetang » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:01 pm

So looks as if The Bike Station is the most highly recommended at this stage? I must admit Im keen to have a fit again soon, Ive had my bike 18 months and Im sure a few things will need tweaking. Will keep up to date in this thread.

GWH74

Postby GWH74 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:05 pm

Might call past these guys one day and have a talk to them.

http://www.bfit2ride.com.au/ (their site is down at the moment)

They are Physiotherapist so they should have a good understanding of the bio-mechanics of the human body and applying that to cycling.

I do not think that I have spoken to a bike shop / fitter that has approved of another fitter. I have been told "Fixed a few of there dodgy fits up" by a couple of different fitters. Be fun to put them all in the same room.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:14 am

Am I the only one that thinks this is overpriced wank? With a little time and patience you can dial your own set up without secret formulas. Keep measurement notes for reference.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:28 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks this is overpriced wank? With a little time and patience you can dial your own set up without secret formulas. Keep measurement notes for reference.

:wink: :idea:

how was the 24H PP?

liamb

Postby liamb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:46 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks this is overpriced wank? With a little time and patience you can dial your own set up without secret formulas. Keep measurement notes for reference.
I think you are paying for experience and acquired knowledge.
I know I have no background in anatomy of cycling, have never spent any time as a cycle mechanic or working on professional teams and don't have a clue where to start. I know I can buy a book and have a fiddle but unless I am able to walk outside my body and look how I am positioned on the bike I wont know what to look for to change and how those changes look.
I know my initial fit when I got my bike felt fine, but when I got a proper fit done with a major reposition of my seat and bars better suited to my body my cadence went up 5-7 rpm average the day I rode the bike home from the fit. I don't know how to rank the $180 I paid at Corsa but I have been back 4 times to fiddle and adjust and change components (at my decision and suggestion) at no extra cost, and free advice at any time the shop is open. I know there are things I would like to look at adjusting and it helps to have an experienced professional to bounce them off. No book I have ever read has had a solution for any of my bike fit issues, the boys at Corsa took into account my specific injury history and body specific measurements. No book has an appendix that says if you are x tall y wide z weight, with arm reach 1a leg length 2r and injuries a,d,t,and w this is how to set up you bike brand "XYZ" and size 51

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Maybe. I'm certainly not expert enough yet to do it myself.

On a side note, I have a minor leg length discrepency (femur) and a roatated L foot (due to motor bike accident), so not necessarily a straight fwd case. Also hard to measure things unless you know what to measure.

Also, an experienced eye can pick up things that you wont notice or think important.

For me, I think it is like insurance, a small investment for potentially a big avoidance.

I concur with Bill and his comments.

bracko

Postby bracko » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:23 pm

to put it in perspective I paid $50 in Sydney for a physiotherapist who owns a cycle store and has a lot of experience. Unfortunately i didn't have the time to visit him before i moved...

While I really don't want to pay as much as $150 I have had back injuries in the past and would prefer not to be laid up for a week + seeing a physio. Consider that and a proper fit seems quite cheap.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:08 pm

rustychisel wrote:

:wink: :idea:

how was the 24H PP?
Awesome fun. 10 laps to caleb,and 61(131k's) to me. Longest stint from 1.30 to 3am sunday. Racing bent is great.

buzz

Postby buzz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:02 pm

MichaelB wrote:
buzz wrote: I have had a bike fit with steve a few years ago when he was at revolution cycles. I have smashed up quite a few body parts, that means I need my bike to be very custom fitted (e.g smashed spine = lose of 2 inches height). Steve was more than happy to spend a couple of hours fitting me out and making sure that the bike fit would suit my individual needs. He was more than happy to explain and educate me on what he was doing and provide some tips to improve my riding technique. I would highly recommend paying the extra money to have steve fit your bike. I also found steve was more than happy to provide any follow up adjustments without any extra charge.
Ouch, glad you are still around.

I too have found Steve to be pretty good and very approachable. Will be seeing him again once the new bike is all ready to ride
Cheers Michael, though i am still very much affected by the injuries I am luckier than most. Just last year a friend was riding along and had a crash that resulted in her becoming paraplegic. They are not even sure what happened, but think she might have hit a pot hole and forks bent. The only reason the docs can explain I can walk etc is because i was so ridiculously fit, so my muscles held me together! Great excuse to be out staying fit on the bike!!

Glad Steve is getting a good rap on here, very deserved! Good luck with the new bike!!! The excitement must be building!!

Dr_Mutley

Bike Fit In Adelaide

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:28 pm

GWH74 wrote:Might call past these guys one day and have a talk to them.

They are Physiotherapist so they should have a good understanding of the bio-mechanics of the human body and applying that to cycling.

I do not think that I have spoken to a bike shop / fitter that has approved of another fitter. I have been told "Fixed a few of there dodgy fits up" by a couple of different fitters. Be fun to put them all in the same room.
Going the physio route can be a good option in bike fitting, and some can be quite inexpensive if they take your private health insurance into account. I did have a look at the bfit2ride group awhile back and thought it was quite an expensive exercise for what it was. I know of a few physios around who charge about a 50$ gap for a full bike fit, if u have private health insurance (with good extras cover)...

GWH74

Postby GWH74 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Could you list some of the Physios or provide a way to find them?
Pity my Physio part of my private health has been slammed in the last 6 months trying to get over a leg complaint.

thefishsniper

Postby thefishsniper » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:40 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:Which megabike? Claude did a fit on a friend, and it was reasonably precise,
Yes I had heard a lot about Claude but unfortunately he wasn't there on the day. In fact I'm yet to have run into him whilst in the shop.
Dr_Mutley wrote:maybe u should feedback your experience?
I quite likely will by finding another LBS to do my ongoing maintenance...but yes I will be letting Claude know as surely I can't be the only one that gets his bike back covered in grease.... I recently had another tweak and yes...grease on forks and more on the white bar tape. I think their head mechanic was there when I first purchased the bike as this guy is a different bloke. Don't get me wrong either he certainly seems to know what he's doing and fixes my issues but just covers everything in grease.

Corsa cycles or Bio Mechanics are both on my way to work so they may become my new LBS when the bike is due for major service.

I also still find that I get sore shoulders on rides over 40k or especially on long down hill runs...eg Greenhill Road..so my bike (or my body) still need some tweaking.

Liquidchild

Postby Liquidchild » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:08 pm

HI Pardon the ignorance, but I just recently got a MTB (dual sus, Merida). Does this Bike Fit thing also applies to MTB's or just road bikes

buzz

Postby buzz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Liquidchild wrote:HI Pardon the ignorance, but I just recently got a MTB (dual sus, Merida). Does this Bike Fit thing also applies to MTB's or just road bikes
A bike fit involves having your bike custom altered or set up for your individual needs/body. A bike fit can be conducted on any bike be it MTB, roadie or even a recumbent.

The key idea when having a bike fit is to allow an individual to ride their bike in a optimal manner (power, speed, etc) and to minimize and prevent injury and allow the greatest comfort level.

curiost

Postby curiost » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:16 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
GWH74 wrote:Might call past these guys one day and have a talk to them.

Going the physio route can be a good option in bike fitting, and some can be quite inexpensive if they take your private health insurance into account. I did have a look at the bfit2ride group awhile back and thought it was quite an expensive exercise for what it was. I know of a few physios around who charge about a 50$ gap for a full bike fit, if u have private health insurance (with good extras cover)...

A list of physios who do this would be great, I'm keen to get fitted by one but would like to be covered by private health insurance for at least a part of the cost. Any recs?

dreamer0

Postby dreamer0 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:35 pm

It seems this thread died off.

So I am gonna try revive it, any suggestions for physio fits in Adelaide? :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:15 pm

dreamer0 wrote:It seems this thread died off.

I'm in the process of getting some treatment for my knee at PhysioStudio (Goodwood Rd), and one of the guys there (Scott I think) is a cyclist and will do a fit session. Not sure of the ciost and quality, but I'll ask and let you know next week.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:49 pm

MichaelB wrote:

I'm in the process of getting some treatment for my knee at PhysioStudio (Goodwood Rd), and one of the guys there (Scott I think) is a cyclist and will do a fit session. Not sure of the ciost and quality, but I'll ask and let you know next week.
Booked in for Wed night - is apparently charged as a std session, so will let you know how it goes.

dreamer0

Postby dreamer0 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:46 am

MichaelB wrote:
MichaelB wrote:

Booked in for Wed night - is apparently charged as a std session, so will let you know how it goes.
Look forward to your results :)

Incidentally I bought a bike as my knee has been giving me hard time for over 12 months and I was told cycling can help strengthen it. :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:09 pm

The session was a static measure up and comparison to the AIS "setup" guidelines. Turns out that the bike setup is pretty spot on, other than potentially raising the saddle 5 - 10mm.

Still may get a dynamic refit at Corsa whne I go to use the new shoes.

Dr_Mutley

Bike Fit In Adelaide

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:24 pm

MichaelB wrote:The session was a static measure up and comparison to the AIS "setup" guidelines. Turns out that the bike setup is pretty spot on, other than potentially raising the saddle 5 - 10mm.

So pretty useless then eh?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
MichaelB wrote:The session was a static measure up and comparison to the AIS "setup" guidelines. Turns out that the bike setup is pretty spot on, other than potentially raising the saddle 5 - 10mm.

So pretty useless then eh?

Sort of. Ends up being a confirmation of what is already a good setup. Not completely useless ..

laserdirect

Postby laserdirect » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Just went with a mate to check out his bike fit at Leading Edge Physical Therapy on Kensington Rd - James was great at eye-balling and video review of the setup to achieve maximum function and efficiency. They use a two camera setup with "SiliconCoach" software to break down the action and pick up minor flaws - found his speed play pedals had too much float in one direction and on adjustment you could clearly see the issues in terms of the tracking of his knees resolve instantly. Also saw that his pedaling technique was with the toes being pointed down too far, overusing the calf - and he has had calf pain so with some technique correction was again resolved on the spot. They did some other minor modifications of the seat fore/aft and the positioning of cleats which improved foot over pedal position.

Charge was in initial consult for $84 and with about $30 off from private health was only about $5 for an hour with a professional and video analysis.

Have booked mine in for Monday - apparently Marco there does them too - just ask the receptionist for either James or Marco