Open triathlon training blog

leighthebee

Re: Open triathlon training blog

Postby leighthebee » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Nice honest review ST. I'll put mine up here too.

Been training a fair bit for this. Dropped quite a few keg's over the past couple of years and tri's have been quite fun despite being a swimmer only (and even then I use "swimmer" loosely). Still a big bloke at 95 kilo's, so should have gone in the Clyde's category as the 35-39's were off a 8.55am and I've done zero hot weather training. Would have much preferred the 6.20am start or whenever their's was.

Anyway, watched the Elite's finish then wandered over to transition for my wave start.....

Swim was good. I'd noticed from transition that everyone on the way back in was following the bend of the canal rather than straighlining the can on the left to the finish can on the right, so as always my main goal is too make the swim as short as possible. If there is one bit of advice I'd impart to those not to comfortable with the swim leg or see it as a weak link, practice sighting as you swim. It makes a huge difference. Anyway hopped out of the water with a 25.21 and puffed my way into transition for some water and fuel etc.

I was prepared to lose a little time in transitions for this race as I always head out onto the bike/run legs feeling like I've forgotten something despite being well and truly over-prepared. Anyway, I'd like to know the odds but I had 4 people I knew well in the race, and three of us were line astern rolling our bikes out onto transition 1. One had a wave start of 8.43am, the other 8.51am and mine on 8.55am. Needless to say there was a fair amount of stick thrown back and forth and some barging, but all in good fun....

Ride was good, easily the best course I've done so far for interest and speed. The "Garmin Hill" was good and there were plenty of others to pass and be passed by. My average speed at the start of the hill was 33k's or so, and that had dropped to just under 30k's as I cleared the top. I was hoping to keep to an average of 30k's over the whole leg, but as I had cleared the hardest part and feeling good decided to push on and see if I could crack the 35's. Past an ambulance carting someone off at the turnaround and headed back in towards Noosa. Still yet to crack the 80kmh down the hill, but had fun trying with 2 guys drafting me and passing as we got towards the bottom. Into transition for the run and faffed about putting socks of before burning my mouth on some gels that had been sitting in the sun since 5am and drinking warm water bleh....Including transitions ended up with 1.19.53 so pretty happy overall. Link to stats of the ride only (no transition as my 405cx is a pain to change sports on the go, here we come 910xt!)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/125497547

Shot out onto the run feeling superb. Happy with the first k at 5.12 then blew up from there. 5.46, followed by 6.12, then it all became more about survival rather than cracking 2hr's 45. In the end, I struggled through the run onto a blistering 1hr 03.34! I was hoping for a 55odd but it was just too hot and I was too tired. Overall time of 2hr 48min 49 secs. Stats below for the run make for some pretty funny reading.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/125497535

Great fun and some great people along the way cheering for family and friends and the odd fat man like myself. Will be signing up again for next year and by then hopefully beating this years time by 20 minutes. But we'll see.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:12 pm

First swim session wit a coach ever tonight. Went very well, learnt lots, have direction now, got quite tired, but could feel the difference.
Will be back for more. Lots of kicking to be done.
Just need some warmer weather. I'm a lizard, have trouble getting into a cool pool unless the sun is out.
You have officially become your parents.

Matthews

Postby Matthews » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Love the report. Think i may need to look at getting a new watch/GPS. makes it very easy to get a good gauge on your effort

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:06 am

First bunch ride won't a group of triathletes today. Gracious, my legs may need some time in a regeneration chamber.
Didn't puke, but thought about it.

KD1988

Postby KD1988 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Just did a 2:22 for the Sri Chinmoy OD in Canberra on 30 Oct.

Hoping for 5 hour Canberra 70.3, but I don't think it will happen. Spilts I want: 0:30 swim(1.35/100m), 2:49 ride (32mk/h), 1:40 (4:45min/km)=4:59 + transition time. I think I will fall down by the swim (up to 34min), I hope I will do better in the ride (hopefully 2:43), I reckon the run will blow out to about 2:00 + about 5 min for transition. Maybe realistic is 5:30...

Since I am more interested in OD at the moment I have Nowra on 22 Jan, Geelong on 12 Feb, Wollongong on 11 Mar and Batemans Bay Sprint on 1 Apr.

Ultimately I would like a swim quicker than 25min, a ride of 1:08 and a run of 42 min. Goal total time is... 2:15.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Great to hear everyone's getting amongst it. Congrats on your great Noosa efforts LTB, especially the swim and bike legs.

Have picked my next event: Kingscliffe OD triathlon weekend of 18 Feb 2012. Maybe see you there Ken? You can book on QSM website and it's a relatively cheap $100 entry fee.

Noosa 2012 entries open next week I think (check U$M website): >$200 I think but I will try to get another start.

Currently having a bit of a break from training, but it won't last long.
New tar seal in front of my wheel

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:04 am

Yes, the Kingy event is right on my doorstep, and I will likely do it.
Reasonablementry fee tqo. I'll have to make suare I ammhome fora it.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Ken Ho wrote:First swim session wit a coach ever tonight. Went very well, learnt lots, have direction now, got quite tired, but could feel the difference.
Good to hear, as they say k's in the legs for runnning, k's in the bike for riding......

No magic bullet.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Matthews wrote:Love the report. Think i may need to look at getting a new watch/GPS. makes it very easy to get a good gauge on your effort
I'm a stats man. That thing cost me about 400 hundred out of my wallet and 20+ kilo's off my carcass.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:54 pm

KD1988 wrote:Just did a 2:22 for the Sri Chinmoy OD in Canberra on 30 Oct.

Hoping for 5 hour Canberra 70.3, but I don't think it will happen. Spilts I want: 0:30 swim(1.35/100m), 2:49 ride (32mk/h), 1:40 (4:45min/km)=4:59 + transition time. I think I will fall down by the swim (up to 34min), I hope I will do better in the ride (hopefully 2:43), I reckon the run will blow out to about 2:00 + about 5 min for transition. Maybe realistic is 5:30...

Since I am more interested in OD at the moment I have Nowra on 22 Jan, Geelong on 12 Feb, Wollongong on 11 Mar and Batemans Bay Sprint on 1 Apr.

Ultimately I would like a swim quicker than 25min, a ride of 1:08 and a run of 42 min. Goal total time is... 2:15.

Quick on the OD there KD. I'm hoping for a sub 2.30 next year at Noosa, but I can already hear the "tell him he's dreamin" from the Castle.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:03 pm

SeditionTrial wrote:Great to hear everyone's getting amongst it. Congrats on your great Noosa efforts LTB, especially the swim and bike legs.

Have picked my next event: Kingscliffe OD triathlon weekend of 18 Feb 2012. Maybe see you there Ken? You can book on QSM website and it's a relatively cheap $100 entry fee.

Noosa 2012 entries open next week I think (check U$M website): >$200 I think but I will try to get another start.

Currently having a bit of a break from training, but it won't last long.

There's also the OD at Toorbul out Bribie way in early December. Same cost at a hundred bucks.

How'd you guy's go for the Noosa tri. Seems like the Individuals are all sold.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:19 pm

I'm in for Noosa 2012 (there's a separate thread for Noosa entries started in 2010 by someone else where I dropped that piece of very important news...) 8)

Did a couple of training exercises this afternoon / evening.

Two 8.5km intervals on the bike (about 17 min each). Plan was to try to increase speed by decreasing overall distance, but it didn't come off: 30kph is a pretty standard avg for me over 40km TT, so I didn't get a great boost by not going as far. I think I probably wasn't pushing hard enough (will take HRM along next time to check).

Also 5.5km run this evening, looking to break 4:30 per km (I think that means 24:45 was my goal time). Completed in 25min flat, so just a little off. I am hopeful of eventually cracking 45min over 10km, but I think it may take some time. Was feeling pretty ordinary afterwards. HR was mostly between 160 and 170 during the run.
New tar seal in front of my wheel

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Squad this morning 4.2klms

KD1988

Postby KD1988 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:32 pm

Leigh... you'll eeeeeaaaaasily get your 2:30 if you keep doing sessions like that! How was your squad session? I want to join a squad, hopefully will in the new year.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Had a really good run a few days ago. Did a half Mt Warning climb in the morning, then ran 11 km at night without any leg pain which is big progress. Groovy new shoes didn't hurt. Red !!
Finally found a bike circuit here at Ipwich too, though got dropped by the bunch quickly. Got separated by a slow truck on the on-ramp and never caught up. Never mind, have been off the bike for a couple of weeks, so will take a few rides to get the legs moving again.
All good, no rush, now I know where to ride.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:42 pm

KD1988 wrote:Leigh... you'll eeeeeaaaaasily get your 2:30 if you keep doing sessions like that! How was your squad session? I want to join a squad, hopefully will in the new year.
The swim and the ride are no probs, it's the run that is. Being 6 foot 3 and 95kg's doesn't lend itself to quick k's.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:59 pm

Last reply vanished. Squad is my favourite part of the week training-wise.

It's taken 12 months, but I'm now getting through a complete session strongly.

It does get easier, and I prefer the swim squad rather than triathlon specific swim squad. Personal choice though.

KD1988

Postby KD1988 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:36 pm

what are your swim, bike and run times like at the moment?

From what I have heard from some people on this forum they ride insanely fast (compared to me anyway) but run very poorly indeed.

Just a point, after I stopped running due to a knee injury I picked up the km's on the bike, lots of low intensity km's and with literally about 2 runs back I ran the fastest I have EVER run in a race, so there's some food for thought :)

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:48 pm

swim, i can comfortably do 1min 30sec 100's, bike i can ride (AT) 35kmh averages, run is where it falls down.

not in a tri i can run at 5's, as soon as i get the first 2 disciplines before it, i'm out to 6's

it's just a matter of k's in the legs, but !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! its hard work in relation to the other 2 for me. mentally as well as physically.

KD1988

Postby KD1988 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:02 pm

Not that this is gospel as I am by no means an expert in the field but what worked for me was running 3-4 times a week and like people on here say...consistency is key! For me, being only 23 my 'cruising' HR was about 155, so I would just sit at that. Run anywhere from 6-12 km per run during the week and have a longer run that extended to about 20km on the weekend and my runs got miraculously quicker, with NO speed work. The key is consistency like I said. As for running off the bike I found that the 4-4.5 hour ride helped with that as it gave me the leg endurance, but I find if you can combine your long weekend ride with a 5-10km run afterwards, not hard, just cruising, you will get there in no time!

BTW I started 'cruising' at 6min/km and within about 6 months or so I was 'cruising' at 5:12min/km and could do a 42min 10km. I am significantly lighter than you at 65kg on a heavy day, but I feel the concepts are still the same. Also I found that technique work has MASSIVELY improved not only my times but comfort and is a LOT better on all the joints. Forefoot running stops the shocks from being sent up through the bone structure and sends it up through the muscles instead, hence preventing injuries.

Let me know your thoughts. BTW you're a quicker rider and swimmer than I am :)

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:53 am

Okay guys.

Say you are a 50 year old bloke that can swim near like a fish for shorter periods, cycle at about 30-35 kmh, but haven't tried running for like 30 years and you think you might like to try a triathlon to 'see what that is like'. The questions are:

- How to teach myself to run again
- How to train correctly
-What is a realistic time frame for training
- What additional equipment I might benefit from
- What sort of event should I look for 'to give this a whirl'

KD1988

Postby KD1988 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:33 am

There are plenty of shorter 'joyathon' events that you could try or just go right for the 'sprint' distance.

For me, I would start with an EASY 20 min jog three times a week and slowly build up at 10% extra distance each week to avoid injury. It will take about a month or so (in my experience) for your body to adapt and find it easy. I would use a HR monitor to ensure you don't push it too hard from the start (you mind find it annoying going that easy). Once you are comfortable with the easy jogs start to add in some brick sessions, so when you come back from a ride go for a 10-15min jog initially and build this up to as many km's as you like.

Focus on technique!!! Since you're coming back to running you might as well get out of the bad habits that provide injuries!!! Look up forefoot running on google and youtube for some technique ideas. Make sure you don't go out too hard and get injured like I did!

Hope this helps :)

P.s don't worry about speed training until you're weekly sessions are at least up to an hour long.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:16 pm

This is what has worked for me at 47, not having run for as long as I can remember
Use an interval timer. I use Gymboss, which is a free app for my iPhone.
I set it on 60 secs. I walk/ run/walk/run etc. Initially I changed every beep. I slowly built it up to running for more than one beep. I warm up that way each time I run, and it's a good idea for an old bloke. Now I do 3 cycles of 1/1, then 1/2, then settle into a steady run rhythm.
It's not the only way to use it, and you can use different intervals etc
There is a programme called "couch to 5km" which is a graded interval program me, designed to take someone from a total couch potato to a 5 km runner in 6-8 weeks, I think. I did not follow it, but I've glanced at it, and I followed the principles, if not the detail.
The forefoot stike running thing is very trendy at present, but is not the only way to run. It creates its own issues, particularly calf strain.
Read the article on slowtwitch in the training section on running.
He describes it as a primal skill which needs no specific training and I'm inlined to agree. It not like swimming, which is not a natural human activity and benefits form a lot of technique training.
Good shoes are nice for us modern softies too.
Eccentric loading exercises, essentially walkngndown stair, are good for tight calves. I've recently sorted out an old leg injury that way.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:44 am

KD1988 wrote:Not that this is gospel as I am by no means an expert in the field but what worked for me was running 3-4 times a week and like people on here say...consistency is key! For me, being only 23 my 'cruising' HR was about 155, so I would just sit at that. Run anywhere from 6-12 km per run during the week and have a longer run that extended to about 20km on the weekend and my runs got miraculously quicker, with NO speed work. The key is consistency like I said. As for running off the bike I found that the 4-4.5 hour ride helped with that as it gave me the leg endurance, but I find if you can combine your long weekend ride with a 5-10km run afterwards, not hard, just cruising, you will get there in no time!

BTW I started 'cruising' at 6min/km and within about 6 months or so I was 'cruising' at 5:12min/km and could do a 42min 10km. I am significantly lighter than you at 65kg on a heavy day, but I feel the concepts are still the same. Also I found that technique work has MASSIVELY improved not only my times but comfort and is a LOT better on all the joints. Forefoot running stops the shocks from being sent up through the bone structure and sends it up through the muscles instead, hence preventing injuries.

Let me know your thoughts. BTW you're a quicker rider and swimmer than I am :)
Yeah, I need to up my running, I am just VERY gun shy about leg related injuries from over-training. Had quite a few friends and family get all keen on the Goldy marathon, and end up with some pretty good overuse injuries. Now I am nowhere near that amount of running, but I am also a LOT bigger and heavier than them also. In relation to yourself, 30 kilo's is massive in running terms. The principles may be the same, but I will get a lot less time improvement than you if we both did the exact same amount of running.

Thats where the difference lies in tri's. Swimming and cycling, size is nowhere near as big a factor as opposed to running.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:51 am

dynamictiger wrote:Okay guys.

Say you are a 50 year old bloke that can swim near like a fish for shorter periods, cycle at about 30-35 kmh, but haven't tried running for like 30 years and you think you might like to try a triathlon to 'see what that is like'. The questions are:

- How to teach myself to run again
- How to train correctly
-What is a realistic time frame for training
- What additional equipment I might benefit from
- What sort of event should I look for 'to give this a whirl'
This is exactly where I was 12 months ago. Definitely give one of the enticer tri's a go. There seems to always be shorter distances at all events these days. If your opening line is true, be prepared to come out close to the front in the swim, have the tt bikes pass you in the ride and get bumped by all the runners flying past in the run. There are some super athletes in these things believe me. Even the average Joe is BLOODY quick when you first start out.

Still makes for a great day out though.

As for answering your questions, the one thing you need help with seems to be runnning and in that I am no help, other than find a run club with coach and do what they tell you. Mine has one of the best blokes around and although he runs sub 4's, tells me what I should be running and where to pick it up.