Who got into Noosa Tri and how hard was it?

SeditionTrial

Re: Who got into Noosa Tri and how hard was it?

Postby SeditionTrial » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:37 pm

@Arthur: thanks for all those tips. I am in Greenslopes / Stones Cnr area -- there is a great path for runners from Stones Cnr towards Mt Gravatt through a park and next to the freeway. It is also a bikepath but too uneven and curvy for road bike training I think. I have posted a separate thread with my training diary in this part of the forum (titled Winter Training Diary or something like that). My training has been interrupted by a happy event (birth of my first child) and an unhappy one (hit by car while out riding), but I am soldiering on! I will use the Gold Coast Sprintman as my practice event, and do Noosa in late October. Will try to train up to 2km distance before then in the swim, and am planning to switch from 25m pool to 50m pool v soon, as I feel I have outgrown the shorter lengths (plenty of touching in, pushing off, but no enough actual swimming!) :) Not sure if you can recommend a safe way for a beginner to train open-water swimming around Brisbane?
New tar seal in front of my wheel

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:17 am

Repeats of Mt Gravatt is also good training for climbing Noosa Hill on the outward leg. Coming back down is good practice for coming down Noosa Hill at 80kmh + on the inbound leg :D (just don't do that speed down Mt Gravatt :D )

Don't worry too much about transitioning from 25m to 50m (although Sommerville House ha a very nice 50m pool that the public can use) and as long as you are comfortable doing the distance in the pool, that's good enough for the open water - in the event it is all about finding a good rhythm.... That said, a good drill you can practice is "head up" freestyle - like water polo - it helps you get used to spotting the markers out in the open water during the event. Pick a spot at the end of the pool and practice lifting your head every couple of strokes to sight it.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm in for 2012... I had to refresh the page about 10 times and it took me about an hour (although luckily I was able to work on some other things at my desk as I did it).

Anyone else?

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm in for 2012... I had to refresh the page about 10 times and it took me about an hour (although luckily I was able to work on some other things at my desk as I did it).

Anyone else?

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:34 pm

SeditionTrial wrote:I'm in for 2012...
I'm disappointed Sedition. I was hoping to see you in Canberra for the Olympic where the beers would have been on me!

I'm back training for Cairns so will start posting in the training thread.

licensed

Postby licensed » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 pm

im in for 2012, now i have 12 months to learn how to swim :lol:

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:34 am

bpmhigh wrote:
SeditionTrial wrote:I'm in for 2012...
I'm disappointed Sedition. I was hoping to see you in Canberra for the Olympic where the beers would have been on me!

I'm back training for Cairns so will start posting in the training thread.

Which event in Cairns are you looking at ?
I have faint hopes of doing the Challenge. I think I am running out of time to get the swim happening though.
I could do the OD event on the week before, but I want to do the RRR, which is running at exactly the same time.
You have officially become your parents.

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Ken Ho wrote:Which event in Cairns are you looking at ?
Ken

I'm doing the full iron distance race again. Last year was my first (race report and pics here (scroll about halfway down): http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... start=1400).

I'm hoping to go sub 11 hours next year - I'm following a much tougher program and hope to get to the start line at least 5 kilos lighter than this year.

I can strongly recommend Challenge Cairns (including the half) - a breathtaking bike course.

Kingaroy_Redant

Postby Kingaroy_Redant » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:12 pm

I got a gig at Noosa in 2012, think I need a new manager as the price seemed a little over the top. $250! :roll: I guess it is all about supply and demand. Wonder if I can sell on ebay? :wink:

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Back into Noosa for 2012 after a disappointing ballot in 2011.....

Looking forward to cracking a killer day :)
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Christina Brinkmann

Postby Christina Brinkmann » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:54 pm

I am in the mixed mates start for Noosa 2012 :D

TrekStar

Postby TrekStar » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Got in to the Noosa 2012 age group event, after 35 minutes of trying to get into the servers.

9 mths and counting. Keep training!

TrekStar

Postby TrekStar » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:07 pm

bpmhigh wrote:
Ken Ho wrote:Which event in Cairns are you looking at ?
Ken

I'm doing the full iron distance race again. Last year was my first (race report and pics here (scroll about halfway down): http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... start=1400).

I'm hoping to go sub 11 hours next year - I'm following a much tougher program and hope to get to the start line at least 5 kilos lighter than this year.

I can strongly recommend Challenge Cairns (including the half) - a breathtaking bike course.
What about the swim? I am keen to do the 2/80/20 but am worried about the swim. Where do you swim, and in June, will the water be cold enough to be a wet suit swim? I am not too worried about the 80/20 bike run.

TrekStar

Postby TrekStar » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:08 pm

licensed wrote:im in for 2012, now i have 12 months to learn how to swim :lol:
Same here! 3 months in, and I have managed to get to 1km in the pool, non stop :P