Track Race Report Thread

vander

Re: Track Race Report Thread

Postby vander » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:29 am

A bit of a quiet night at Lidcombe with the fields being quite small, not sure why.
Started out with the normal scratch (10laps) only 4 on the field not much to report on my mate Dave tried to go off the front early, I let him go and slowed down the group when I got to the front. He got pulled back in in about 2-3 laps. Other then that it was just status quo till about 1 lap to go the pace started to ramp up a bit, the girl in front of me left a 10m gap to the front 2 which I had to bridge then with 200 to go I upped the pace (staying in the saddle) and came around the other 2 with about 50 to go picking up first.
Scratch race again didnt work (+they cut my handicap 20m on last week despite me only coming 6th). Me and Dave havent figured it out yet and he isnt sitting on my wheel when I take off, he said he couldnt find his rhythm today until the last lap. I sat behind the 2 other C graders for about half a lap then when it settled down I accelerated in the next lap I picked up everyone infront of me then with about 1lap to go I had a B grader sitting on my wheel. With a little over 1/2 a lap to go A grade came past me (3 of them) the B grader started his sprint and I tried to pick it up but didnt have anything left. Ended up 5th.
Then we had a 2lap sprint race. Me and Dave were the only C graders left so we raced with 2 B graders. 1/2 a lap in one of the B graders took off I tried to catch him and thought I was I settled down to slowly catch up to him and he ended up just going away more. I had the other B grader on my wheel and not sure where Dave was. I gave it my all (not much left) with about 1/2 a lap left but the guy on my wheel came around me with ease. Ended up 3rd with the guy that went off early winning by a good 30+m.
Last race of the day was again a combined scratch race. There was only about 12 in it this week. Started off at an alright but fast pace. Then with about 4 laps to go the B grader that one the previous race jumped on the front and did a big 2 lap effort putting me and a lot of other people in a bit of hurt. He pulled up with only about 2 laps to go and for 1/2 a lap it eased up then with about 1.5 to go one of the A graders (the one that wins everything) took off, taking another A grader with him. I jumped hard and managed to hold them at about 10m. With about 3/4 of a lap to go I started to die, the other 2 A graders that were sitting on my wheel came around me, I was really dead now looked back and there was noone for a good 50-100m. So I pushed the little that I had to the end and ended up about 50 maybe more meters behind but only got beaten by the A graders so happy with that.

Pretty good night 1 win in C and 2 5ths in the combined races and a third in a C/B mixed race. Not too bad. I feel strong in C but and nowhere near up to B yet. Just need more time out there and practice racing. I seem to find myself always reacting when someone jumps and bringing others up to them, should probably try and sit in a bit more.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:57 am

Don't be in a hurry to chase down every breakaway Vander. To me, it seems that you are exposing yourself to the rest of the field all the time. :x
With you doing this, all of you're oppositition are able to figure you out and then ride in such a way, so as too nullify, any hope of you beating them. :wink:

Like I have said previously, be patient and learn the craft as much as you can in the lower grades and then, move up to the next level because in A grade and Elite, there is a huge difference in the compitition around you. :twisted:

One of my old coaches once (well many times) said to me. ride the handicap races as hard as you can from, start to finish and you will be surprised at how much it will help you. Keep in mind also, that if you have enterd a race meet with a big payout for a handicap, then back it off about a month before to get a good handicap. :mrgreen: Nothing wrong with a bit of foxing to get some payment for effort put in. Gets harder once you're in the top grades though. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

vander

Postby vander » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:20 am

Yea I know I should let others chase but in C grade I know that as long as I am with them for the sprint I can win it I just have to get there in contact. I think I need to be more tactical up the grades. The problem was the 2 B graders were friends so I didnt know if they would chase each other.

That is how I do the handicap. Thats why after about 1/2 a lap when they werent going fast enough I picked it up. I just need someone to share the time in the end with to stay away from A grade. I won the first handicap and came second in my second one that is why they have been cutting my handicap quite quickly. From where I am now I dont think I have the strength to do it on my own.

I am trying to learn to be patient.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:57 am

vander wrote:I am trying to learn to be patient.
:lol: Try harder! :twisted:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toppity

Postby toppity » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:43 pm

Raced on the big oval at Newborough/Moe in country Victoria on Monday night. There were about 12-14 in total going around (Glen Trevorrow was one, John's brother I think). An "A" and "B" grade field. I was in "A". We did a warm up scratch race, last out and another scratch race. I placed 4th in the warm up scratch (they keep jumping and I couldn't go the last time), 3rd in the last out (ran out of efforts again), 2nd in the last scratch (just couldn't match it). It let me know how far off race fit I am for the track. Good fun though, but I was smashed by the end.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:45 pm

Hey Toppity, you need to do more jump starts in your training. :wink:

This last out you talk of, used to be call a Miss and Out when I was racing. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

vander

Postby vander » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Raced again tonight. Another small field only 5 of us in C grade.

First race scratch. Rolled turns Dave had a couple of efforts on the front nothing serious but the guy infront of me (I think just came up from D) was struggling a bit so I went around him. Then with about 1.5 to go Dave took off (apparently thinking it might be the last). The guy in front of me did some work to keep him in check then with about 200m to go I went around the guy infront and Dave to take the win which to be honest was not too tough (though still not easy), they are saying some C grade riders have moved to D cause C has gotten tougher so next week I will be in B.
Second race was the wheel race (with my handicap 10m shorter again) and it was a mess, everyone was in the 1 wheel race so there was far to many people. After the last 2 weeks of dropping Dave right at the start I went out slower and we ended up getting caught quite quick and cause it was a mess of people I could not get the right wheels, not sure where I ended up maybe about 6th or 7th but really there was just people everywhere too hard to tell.
Next was an italian pursuit and it was good fun. I was about in the middle of the pack non of the people before me put me very close to the limit, I went pretty hard on my turn but still had a bit left in the tank at the end, I just wasnt the best at judging my effort as I wanted to keep the group together, anyway it was enough and we won (although the other group had some troubles).
Last race was a 10lap combined scratch again I was way off the back when it started and had to slowly pull myself up when I got in the group it was alright then at about 3 laps to go one of the kids pushed really hard off the front and the guy infront of me left a 20m gap for me to bridge which I did and it all slowed up I pulled up and noone came under me. Then there was another huge attack and I just missed the kick and I almost got back on (about 10-15m short) at about 3/4 of a lap to go then the A graders (atleast one of them) took off, I didnt have much left and ended up rolling over in 4th.

It was a pretty quiet night all grades were pretty short of numbers not really sure why there isnt many people out there hopefully it picks up again soon. Off to B grade for me to really push myself.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:37 am

If you know the abilities of the riders with you in a pursuit Vander, then the stronger rider/riders should do a longer turn to balance out the weaker riders. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

vander

Postby vander » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:52 am

foo on patrol wrote:If you know the abilities of the riders with you in a pursuit Vander, then the stronger rider/riders should do a longer turn to balance out the weaker riders. :wink:

Foo
It was an italian pursuit so it was all sorts of abilities and everyone had to do one lap. Its not like I had heaps left I just didnt leave everything out on the track in it. Looking at the stats from my first ride I must be getting faster. The average speed of the 10laps (or 12) was a bit over 44km/h and in the sprint I hit 58km/h

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm gunna have to google this Italian pursuit thing and find out what it is then, because never had these when I was racing. :?

Foo
Goal 6000km

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:20 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I'm gunna have to google this Italian pursuit thing and find out what it is then, because never had these when I was racing. :?

Foo
I think Australians are the only ones to call this an Italian pursuit. They probably call it an Aussie pursuit in Italy. Anyhow, here's how it goes. Riders are divided up into two teams with an (ideally) equal number of riders from each grade. The slowest riders ride at the front of the pack and the fastest riders at the back. The two teams start on opposite sides of the track. No rider is allowed to overtake the rider in front of their group. After the first lap, the front rider on each group pulls up and is out of the race. After each subsequent lap, the same thing occurs until you're down to one rider on each team who sprints for the win. The length of the race is determined by the number of riders on each team. The Italian is a great team event that includes everyone in the race and gets faster as the race progresses.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks BF I had a look to see what it is about and it is pretty much the same as the teams sprint but with the strongest rider at the back. It would work the same if you had a sprinter that was real strong at the end and could hang on for the ride. 8)

Is there any limit to the number of riders or is it decided on the nights attendance :?:

Foo
Goal 6000km

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:55 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Thanks BF I had a look to see what it is about and it is pretty much the same as the teams sprint but with the strongest rider at the back. It would work the same if you had a sprinter that was real strong at the end and could hang on for the ride. 8)

Is there any limit to the number of riders or is it decided on the nights attendance :?:

Foo
At Lidcombe it's whoever is around at the end of the night. At Dunc Gray we had 6 or 8 teams of ~15 per team. Lidcombe can easily handle bigger fields, but on the 250 m track at DGV 15 is probably too many.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Yeah, you'd right about that on a 250mtr track.
Rode a 50k points score at Hawthorn Park once (400mtrs) and that was crowded enough. :shock:

Foo
Goal 6000km

vander

Postby vander » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:14 am

Noone else likes to post here oh well.

My club had a Christmas carnival on tonight so there was fairly low attendance (of racers) and I was not sure why. Then I figured it out only raced a 6 lap scratch and 2 lap something (pretty much a scratch). However I signed up for B as I had been told a few weeks ago before my trip away (a cruise where I put on 6kg in 2 week :P ) that I should. However cause there were only 2 A riders (and not the ones that usually win). So B was combined with A. So I went out for the 6 lap scratch in A grade :?: Anyway the pace was pretty high from the start and I found myself on the back, kind of on purpose as I didnt know how tough it would be and didnt want to get in others way. However in the first lap A guy pulled his foot out of his pedals and left me a 30m gap to close all on my own and the pace was really on at this stage as someone went off the front. Kind of thinking my race was over I just rode tempo and eventually it all slowed down. Then I was in a group of 3 chasing 2. I noticed everyone around me seemed in a world of hurt and I felt ok so I did a bigish turn on the front just at the tempo I was doing before and pulled the other 2 in, as they werent working together at all. By the time all of this happened there was a little under 2 laps to go and it was just fast but nothing happened really for a lap then one guy jumped with about a lap to go left a few behind and surprisingly I was able to stay on third wheel then with about 200 to go I picked it up again and to my surprise went around them all of them. I crossed the line in first surprisingly. First race in A grade first win :D . To be fair but it was more like a B grade group as the A graders were not the strong A graders.
Second race was kind of a 2 lap handicap but not really it was first year riders got about 30m over second year riders. First year riders was just me and a girl and as we werent really racing for anything I told her I would just ride at her pace and she could sit in. After about a lap one of the second year guys (a strong B grader) I picked it up a bit but wasnt really racing I dropped the girl and there wasnt really anyone close and I didnt get on the wheel so I just rode a steady tempo for the lap and got second.

Tonight wasnt really racing it was more for the kids there were lots of kids and family races and Santa came and there was food it was more of a party then racing but I did have one hard and fast race which was good and all up it was a pretty good night.

Now I need to decide whether to do the Christmas carnival or not.

BTW I bought a new track bike (thanks Deon) and rode on that tonight and it felt pretty nice, after lots of adjusting to get it to fit me well. It also seemed to give me a pretty good result.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Sounds like a good night for you Vander! 8)

Don't knock the win in A-grade for the night. It's still A-grade and a win is a win. :mrgreen:

If I were you, I would race the Christmas Carnivals and get the jump on most of your competitors for the new year. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:59 pm

christmas racing , bankstown @DGV

scratch race - nice close race with field of about 10 all crossing within 4-5 bikelengths
6 lap handicap race - i'm given a generous 80m (the max) and decide that draughting a 50kg girl aint gonna cut the mustard. about 5 laps of pain and i finish first, about half a lap in front. apparently the bunch formed early and slowed right down. the christmas pudding is mine
final 12 lap scratch race. i already had a pudding so the plan was for me to lead out the other two penrith riders. with about 6 laps to go i end up at the front. a bit early but oh well. the bankstown lads had been working well together and we couldnt let that continue. pushed hard, by the bell lap i was dead but we had been going flat out for 2 laps so the boys did ok, got the puddings, and i died

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Pudding is fattening Scotto but if it has rum in it, then it's good for you. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:26 pm

If you're working that well with your Penrith boys, grab another chocolate rider and sign up for the state Masters Team Pursuits next year.

Well done, btw. Bankstown don't often put money up for their races, but it's always nice to win a tube or some lubricant - or a pud.

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:49 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:If you're working that well with your Penrith boys, grab another chocolate rider and sign up for the state Masters Team Pursuits next year.
I haven't been on the track since RAW finished, but I've got my eyes on flying the chocolate flag in the State Masters.

Can anyone confirm whether you can still enter on the day for individual days of the Christmas Carninval coming up? Am keen to do the DGV days, but the cycling nsw website says entries are closed. I was expecting you'd be able to just roll up on the day and sign on?!
Last edited by nickj_d on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:02 am

brades68

Postby brades68 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:56 pm

I'll add my little bits to this thread.

Raced last night in D Grade, started with a 10 lap scratch race on restricted gearing and found myself on the front coming into the last lap, more out of good luck than tactics however. Kicked hard down the back straight to hold the lead through the final turn, back off a touch on the straight :roll: , had to go again when someone come up alongside but too late, into 2nd by half a wheel. Lesson learnt, DO NOT back off until after the line.

We then had a 500m sprint - 44 odd seconds for my 2nd ever 500m beating my previous mark by about 1.5sec (loooong way from the nights winning time of 34 odd sec) but i still managed to take out D grade :D

Final race, C Grade, 25 lap motor paced. Holy crap, we started at 38km/hr and i dropped out after 19 laps. one of the seasoned riders asked as he passed by if i was still on my smaller gear (the only gearing i have is 48x15, that's how much of a noob i am). i spoke to him afterwards and he suggested i try a 48x14 which should help me a little. Lets hope so, i want to make it to the end of a 25 lapper.

A good night, still learning, keen for more

Happy New Year,
Cheers
Mick
n = Specialized Tarmac SL4 (racing!), 89 Specialised (more info to come)
n + 1 = Felt TK3 (track - woohoo)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:09 am

48x14 will be the way to go for you Brades in the motor paced stuff. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:20 am

Yeh go 48*14 next time

The most common gears used are 48*14, 49*14, 50*14

However 48*15 should of still been usable, as 120rpm gives you 48kph. So some training for higher cadences will probably help you too
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

vander

Postby vander » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:07 am

Signed up for the Goulburn track open next week. Should be good to do an open event. Any tips from anyone? Anyone raced at Goulburn before whats the track like?