Peugeot Appreciation Society

CommuRider

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society

Postby CommuRider » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:52 am

Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi,
I have a very run-of-the-mill 'Peugeot DR10' but after riding it, I really like it.
Actually bought it for the wife from someone in Wellington, NSW for $50. It's a very ordinary DR10 which I assume is probably slightly lower spec than a UO8. Appears to have largely Japanese parts such as Suntour 7 GT derailleurs, Weinmann 'red label' brakes, Sugino (not Stronglight, damnit!) front wheel and cranks, Peugeot handlebar etc. Nothing flash. However by my amateur eye in very original state and no rust. Must be due to the dry clime in inland Wellington. Dated by the decals to about 1978. The previous owner's daughter verified this. She said her late dad hardly rode it.
I am of the 1970s highriser bike generation. Was too old when the BMXs came in, and by 1981 was too preoccupied getting my drivers license to bother about another bike. Consequently when I did get back into bikes in the 1990s and especially in the early 2000s, got a MTB and have been riding it ever since. However when I got on this rather ordinary tourer I absolutely loved the ride.
Notice there's very little info on the Peugeot DR10 anywhere. Am beginning to think it was a model only devised for the Australian market.

... 15km short of a cardiac arrest ...

koen

Postby koen » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Not an expert on the Australian industry (not an expert on anything !) but I know Cycles Australia were distributing Peugeots about 1977?? and that's when the change happened that resulted in them having Jap parts. I bought my French model in 1975 from Annand and Thompson in Brisbane which was a car dealership. Cycles Australia also produced Madison bikes which were euipped like the Aussie Peugeots but with Aussie made frames.
Anyone know ..did they stop selling the Peugeots for Madisons? This happened with Raleigh USA I remember reading somewhere, when they wanted to replace English/European parts on Raleighs in the US but were not allowed so they started selling Jap bikes called Centurion which later became Diamond Back.
I have a Madison and a cheap old Peugeot and the Peugeot rides much better.

koen

Postby koen » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 pm

Details are returning slowly to me about Cycles Australia. I think Mick Wilkinson was involved somewhere. He used to live near Chardon's Corner in Brisbane. I don't know if he is still around. Past CA President Mike Victor would probably know the history as I remember there was some sponsorship in the late seventies with Cycles Australia/Peugeot and either our club or the QACA,the state racing body then.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks Koen
There are a few DR10 owners around and I notice we all are aware of its lack of identity on Peugeot websites. Would appreciate more info if you do get it.
Thanks

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:07 pm

If the hubs are Normanby, or atom, they will have a date code on them, month and year. Warren

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:25 pm

Well some time ago a few of you may remember a short thread refering to this bike on flebay, well I bought it from seeing it there. I just cant resist oddball bikes.

So this will be one of two bikes I'll use as a pathway basher one modern and one retro. It was pretty easy to referbish this bike it only needed the usual cables, tyres "3 sets" bar grips, chain, saddle the original was ugly and NOS brakes and shifters because a dog chewed the original one's and polishing also new grease.

The main features of the bike are the Reynolds 531 frame a Tange fork, Mavic wheels and Shimano LX 500 Groupset.
Enjoy some pic's.

Fitted with NOS Ritchey speed max tyres.

Here it's fitted with 1.4 Michelin wild run'r tyres there quite fast rolling but comfortable.

This is with Michelin Advanced wild run'r tyres a 200gram folding tyre for speed.

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:35 pm

jbchybridrider wrote:
Here it's fitted with 1.4 Michelin wild run'r tyres there quite fast rolling but comfortable.
I like this! My vote goes to the wild run'r tyres

koen

Postby koen » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:52 pm

I love this old mountain bike. A great find in really good nick. Thanks for posting.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks, I'm really enjoying strong and sturdy yet comfortable feel this bike gives.

spitfire

Postby spitfire » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:03 am

Great job with the MTB, it looks really good.
I like the look of the roadie pedals too.
Well done.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:29 pm

I've got the road equivalent in the same colours - an Izoard from 90-91. Keep forgetting to get some pics on here. Will have to look out for a Hurricane so I can have a matching pair.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:40 pm

DarrylH wrote: Will have to look out for a Hurricane so I can have a matching pair.

Better still if you ever find a Europe Express that was sold in Aust. in the similar condition to mine I'll swap ya. :lol:
That was the top model with full XT and oddly a leather springer saddle, the Hurricane was the third model from the top.

Because I can :mrgreen:

A lesser model but a great old brochure.

stnfldr

Postby stnfldr » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:58 pm

There is a nice peugeot going on ebay at the moment, its a signed model,

for all you peugeot lovers.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:56 am

For all you Melbournians - there is a Nervex Professional lugged (maybe PX10?) for sale on ebay located in Malvern East . The price is presently sitting on approx $90 - 10hours left.

Title is "VINTAGE PEUGEOT RECORD DU MONDE EARLY 1970'S ROAD BIKE. RED. RIDES WELL." It is a large frame. I'd buy it if it was in Sydney. I have no affiliation with the seller.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-PEUG ... 4ab14c8d12

Happy bidding.
marc

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:07 pm

This is my early 90s Izoard and how it gets used.
Just about to start a 40km time-trial, a lone steelie among all the carbon TT bikes. Finished in 1hr 15min, but I do need a new stem as the bolt in this one is had it and I can't stop the bars creeping forward - luckily don't have to brake much in a TT.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:09 pm

Hey DarrylH thanks for putting pic's up, its really interesting to see.
Its an exact match to my Hurricane paint job, its also interesting you say its a early 90's model because I was thinking mine was 89 until someone on another forum said the LX groupo first came out in 1990 or 91.
So now we can think of your bike as the road king model and my bike as the dirty bastard child. Thanks for posting and its good to see the Lzoard getting used the way it should.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:32 pm

The peugeot PX10 featured in Ride Cycling Review is on display at the shop Northside Wheelers in Prahran in Melbourne. This is a 1976 model.http://s996.photobucket.com/albums/af81 ... t=3365.jpg

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks jbchybridrider, I hope to give it a few more outings like this. I don't like to ride it too much as I can't find replacements for the white hoods and the white (pearl) RX-100 gruppo seems to have been made in very low numbers. I am missing the RX-100 front derailleur and have found a new one in silver finish but none in white. Have also found black hoods and they both should be here for Xmas.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:58 pm

marc2131 wrote:For all you Melbournians - there is a Nervex Professional lugged (maybe PX10?) for sale on ebay located in Malvern East . The price is presently sitting on approx $90 - 10hours left.

Title is "VINTAGE PEUGEOT RECORD DU MONDE EARLY 1970'S ROAD BIKE. RED. RIDES WELL." It is a large frame. I'd buy it if it was in Sydney. I have no affiliation with the seller.

This bike is back, and is sitting at $90. Nervex Professional lugs. Malvern East in Melb.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-PEUG ... 4ab218d430

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:24 pm

marc2131 wrote:
marc2131 wrote:For all you Melbournians - there is a Nervex Professional lugged (maybe PX10?) for sale on ebay located in Malvern East . The price is presently sitting on approx $90 - 10hours left.

This bike is back, and is sitting at $90. Nervex Professional lugs. Malvern East in Melb.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-PEUG ... 4ab218d430
I'm pretty certain that it's not a PX10 or even a PR10 at best (but still unlikely) it might be a PA10. "Record du Monde" appeared on every Peugeot made during the 1970s is really meaningless.

It's probably a lowly AO8 or maybe a AU8. $90 sounds about right, I wouldn't go much above that even if I wanted it.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Hamster wrote:I'm pretty certain that it's not a PX10...
Agree with Hamster.

Plate dropouts, steel rims and cranks, pump pegs, 27" wheels, and suicide levers. These would all point to something much lower in the food chain, methinks. :wink:

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:40 am

rkelsen wrote:
Hamster wrote:I'm pretty certain that it's not a PX10...
Agree with Hamster.

Plate dropouts, steel rims and cranks, pump pegs, 27" wheels, and suicide levers. These would all point to something much lower in the food chain, methinks. :wink:
It sold for $90 with a single bid. About what a low-end Peugeot in average condition is worth. With an injection of $$$ it will be a very pleasant ride.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Picked up this little beauty from the tip the other day, 22 x 1-3/8 wheels, Peugeot branded steel centrepull brakes, cottered cranks and plastic Simplex rear derailleur. Little bit of TLC and it should scrub up really well.

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

spitfire

Postby spitfire » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:18 pm

I like the little folders, I just finished one for a friends child, the internal cable routing nearly did my head in...
Have fun and enjoy.