Cycle-Friendly Camping Spots?

Syd_Nathan

Cycle-Friendly Camping Spots?

Postby Syd_Nathan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking for some cycle-friendly camping spots within 2 or 3 hours drive of Sydney.

Basically somewhere we (my friends and I) can drive to, setup camp and take our bikes (we all ride MTB and road, so taking either/both would be fine) out and do some riding in the area, as well as swimming in waterhole's and rivers etc.

Preferably quiet, isolated and away from main roads, but amenities would be handy.

Basically more places like this that are kid/pet friendly, easily accessibly by car, and have some decent opportunities to go road or MTB riding, and swimming in the area.
http://www.hawkesbury.nsw.gov.au/commun ... lo-camping

John H

Re: Cycle-Friendly Camping Spots?

Postby John H » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:40 pm

http://www.sydneyhillsaustralia.com.au/ ... sp?ID=2923
Mitchell Park on Cattai Creek (part of Cattai Creek NP) Toilets, no showers & I would resist the urge to swim in any water close to Sydney these days.
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/Natio ... x?id=N0079
Cattai National Park. Full facilities, bookings may be required at certain times - On the Hawkesbury River.

panda1971

Postby panda1971 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:18 pm

Max

Postby Max » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:03 pm

panda1971, that's a really useful site. The QLD equivalent could take a lesson from how they've set it up, especially the "find campgrounds" page.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:02 pm

Kiwarrak State Forest. 30km of sweet singletrack. Suits a range of abilities from newby to all-mountain. Easy B lines around all the obstacles on themore techically challenging trail segment options.

Accomodation options at Taree, Old Bar or Black Head, all cycle friendly. Black Head would probably be the most child-friendly, with a surf club and 50m rock pool, but it's abut a 10 minute drive away. Taree is a lovely country town. Contact Bourke's Bikes at Taree for status updates regarding weather impact on trail conditions.

The guy in the second photo is Dave Brunner-Evans, the trail fairy responsible for most of the awesome trails in the forest. A great rider, too. If you're nice, and very very lucky, he may offer to show you around the trails, after he's dusted them off first with the leaf blower (I'm serious).

Unfortunately I missed out on his last unofficial guided tour, as I opened up a big ole can of stupid in the first 500m and broke my collarbone riding much too fast for how far ahead I could see. But the rest of the guys and girls on the trip away were more than enthusiastic about how good it was, with Dave kindly showing off his work.

Details here: http://mgltipriders.asn.au and the most recent trip here: http://mgltipriders.asn.au/node/31105

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Oh, also soem great road riding options in the Manning hinterland as well.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:57 am

Check out the Watagan State Forest, entry via Martinsville Rd, Cooranbong. Take the Morriset exit off the F3. Best if you have a 4wd but it's still accessible otherwise although it would be a bit hairy in the wet. The Pines camping area has pit toilets infested with mozzies (I used to take in a portable camping toilet to avoid using it) and nothing else, it's byo everything. A bit further up is another campground but I can't remember it's name, again byo everything. Ok it has fire pits (weather & fire restrictions permitting) and a creek but best byo wood too, because it's scrounged out. Plenty of 4wd tracks suitable for bikes, just watch out for bullbars. Plenty of smaller tracks that are used by trailbikes too. Best to take a gps and uhf radio, no mobile coverage.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Syd_Nathan

Postby Syd_Nathan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:55 pm

All great finds! Thanks guys. Really looking forward to doing some trips over summer, so this info will be extremely useful :-)