Beginner

Beginner

Postby fero » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:11 am

Hi,
from Adelaide here. Got a mountain bike but haven't taken it out on Adelaide roads. I used to work on cruise ships and the only time I got on my bike is on a port day. But Most ports(countries like Miami, Hawaii,etc.) I've visited had dedicated bike lane on the road. Anyone out there who'd like to take along an on road beginner for a ride in the city? I actually work in the City now. Thought might be handy to ride to work someday.

I'm normally off on Fridays... and sometimes on weedends.
fero

by BNA » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:32 am

BNA

Postby europa » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:32 am

G'day Fero,

Many roads in Adelaide have cycle lanes marked on the road. On a road marked with a cycle lane, you are required to ride within that lane ... and cars are required to stay out of them.

The Bike Direct Maps are a 'must have'. They are pdf files and can be downloaded from here
They show bike tracks (bike only or shared with pedestrians), bike routes (with marked lanes) and bike routes that follow the back streets. You'll find all these routes marked on the road with blue triangles on light poles etc so they are really easy to follow (some suburbs do this better than others).

Have a look at Jase's AdelaideCyclist site, and register for his forum - news, etc but all Adelaide based (he's a member here as well).

Drop me a PM if you want to go riding. This weekend's a bit tied up with the Tour Down Under and I'm really only free every other weekend (kids). After the school holidays though, I'll be able to meet you for a friday ride.

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby adelaidecyclist » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:54 am

Hi Fero,

I'd say this week is a perfect week to check out the Adelaide Riding scene. :D

Take a look at those BikeDirect maps that Richard mentioned. Map out a route to the city, and ride around while the Tour Down Under is on. The drivers seem to be a lot more forgiving during this week. :D

If you are looking for a leisurely ride, check out the Linear Park. It's a good trade off for the roads, and depending on your skill and fitness level, it might make "getting up to speed" easier, without having to worry about cars.

What side of town are you on? We may be able to suggest some good routes for you.

Jase
adelaidecyclist

Return to South Australia