Sydney to Canberra group ride

Wayfarer

Sydney to Canberra group ride

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:15 am

Hey guys,

Sydney is quite awesome, but a ride to Canberra seems to be a good idea as of late. Chatting with Dave (Bigfriendlyvegan), and Pete (MrHuong) it looks like this plan might get off the drawing board, most likely mid-December. Who'd like to join? It'd be roughly 240km in one day, averaging around 25km/h from Campbelltown, like what this guy does; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_kX1vqjCzQ

A stop off at a servo along the way (80km in), and Goulburn (80km to go!).
What are these salesmen peddling?

daniel.s

Re: Sydney to Canberra group ride

Postby daniel.s » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:37 am

I'm interested, depending on when exactly it's going to be.
2011 Giant Defy 1

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:07 pm

It'll be a long hot day in Dec though.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:03 pm

how will you get back?
You cant jump on the train with the bike, as there interstate trains they need to be boxed up and put in the cargo storage thing. this is what has put me off this ride so far.

But anyway this is on my Bucket list of rides (got to be easier than riding to jenolan caves i guess :wink: :lol: ).

I have organised a few rides before, IMO just lock in a date when you want to do it and then the crowd usually follows. Have in mind bail out options and know where you can stop to refuel water and eat a decent meal. Good idea to have a backup person with a van or car/trailer who can comed and pick up the gang should all go wrong.

Have fun :D

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:23 pm

leximack wrote:how will you get back?
You cant jump on the train with the bike, as there interstate trains they need to be boxed up and put in the cargo storage thing. this is what has put me off this ride so far.

But anyway this is on my Bucket list of rides (got to be easier than riding to jenolan caves i guess :wink: :lol: ).

I have organised a few rides before, IMO just lock in a date when you want to do it and then the crowd usually follows. Have in mind bail out options and know where you can stop to refuel water and eat a decent meal. Good idea to have a backup person with a van or car/trailer who can comed and pick up the gang should all go wrong.

I'll tell ya what, you do this ride Don and I'll do a share ride/drive with someone and bring a trailer behind my Navara. Fridge, spares, air con, drinks, BBQ, first aid kit and 5 get to ride home in comfort with bikes in the back and trailer. We'll all be back in Sydney 3 hours after the ride. If the numbers are up we can do a minivan and trailer and share the cost.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Old and Rusty wrote:
leximack wrote:how will you get back?

I'll tell ya what, you do this ride Don and I'll do a share ride/drive with someone and bring a trailer behind my Navara. Fridge, spares, air con, drinks, BBQ, first aid kit and 5 get to ride home in comfort with bikes in the back and trailer. We'll all be back in Sydney 3 hours after the ride. If the numbers are up we can do a minivan and trailer and share the cost.
thanks for the offer Steve and will def keep you in mind. Will let Wayfarer do this one. I have a few other rides i want to do first.

Sorry to hijack your thread wayfarer.
Resume normal operations. :lol: :lol:

zozza

Postby zozza » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Donny Rawks :P

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:21 pm

Sounds like a great plan, just also wondering how we would get back?
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

KD1988

Postby KD1988 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:54 pm

interested if we can get back...

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Have you considered a Canberra to Sydney ride instead? Go down the day before, sleep overnight somewhere cheap, then head back to glorious Sydney, sort of like riding from Perdition back to Salvation.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:29 pm

I was thinking stay the night and catch a train back in the morning (latest train back is 5pm and 50 bucks/ticket), but maybe not the best (or cheapest) idea.. Haha Don, the topography to Jenolan caves was massive! Here's a map of elevation from Syd to near Canberra courtesy of Steve; http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102287100

Anyone can bail out at Moss vale, and according to the train timetable, there's trains back to Macarthur all day. If we take the exit to Goulburn (bike lanes the whole way, including through the round about :shock: ) there's a mcdonalds and subway, which add less than 2km total to the trip.

If Pete (Mr Huong)'s brother drives down when we should reach the half way mark to check up on us, then meet us in Canberra for coffee and a ride back, but I guess we'd have to chip in to hire a trailer, unless someone has one lying around. I found they hire trailer for $87 from trailer rentals, at local petrol stations. $90 trailer hire + $90 petrol (if anyone else knows someone whose keen to drive, that'd be cool too - not too keen on conscripting Pete's brother!) equates to about $36/person. Is an 8x5 trailer big enough?

17th December?

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:25 am

Didnt someone post above saying you cant take bikes on trains without it being boxed? I am happy for anytime around December.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:46 pm

Yeah, screw catching trains; it's cheaper just to get someone to drive us back (accounting for fuel and trailer hire, vs train ticket and bike ticket)

David_G

Postby David_G » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Sounds like a great ride.
You could always have a bit of a relay with the driving, say change driver every 50k or so. That way everyone gets to have a ride.
Depending on the numbers, you could rent a covered furniture trailer, and if there were excess passengers for the car they could train it back with their bikes safe and sound in the trailer.
Have Fun
I just love riding my bike!

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Well im in for 17th if we can work out a way to get back, I dont mind staying the night, but ill bring the shot gun just in case :-)

KD1988

Postby KD1988 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:34 pm

Addictr3 wrote:Well im in for 17th if we can work out a way to get back, I dont mind staying the night, but ill bring the shot gun just in case :-)
Seconded, why don't we just ride back.......................? :twisted:

misterhoang

Postby misterhoang » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:37 pm

conscripting my brother was a long shot, he doesn't seem to be keen on driving down david
Either way im sweet for the 17th

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:13 pm

My girlfriend (Laura) seems keen on driving - and she has a trailer too :O things are looking up :D

KD, are you serious about riding back?

KD1988

Postby KD1988 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Just remembered I have the Chris McCormack training day on 17 Dec... :( Maybe another time.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:13 pm

Wayfarer wrote:My girlfriend (Laura) seems keen on driving - and she has a trailer too :O things are looking up :D

KD, are you serious about riding back?
If we have back up ill ride back (I'll buy your girl a nice bottle of wine!!)

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:50 pm

She doesn't drink but haha. We'll be right! That makes 3 (do you have facebook addict? You can find me as David Uranie (smartarse photo with kelly slater shirt)) so we can all three chat there, unless anyone else is interested..

The more the merrier! :D Big friendly vegan?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:33 pm

Wayfarer wrote:She doesn't drink but haha. We'll be right! That makes 3 (do you have facebook addict? You can find me as David Uranie (smartarse photo with kelly slater shirt)) so we can all three chat there, unless anyone else is interested..

The more the merrier! :D Big friendly vegan?
I'm working on it. Trying to get shore leave from the Captain.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:56 am

Sweet as :D Goddarn it, rain till next saturday.. how's a bloke supposed to train? :(

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:20 pm

Wayfarer wrote:Sweet as :D Goddarn it, rain till next saturday.. how's a bloke supposed to train? :(
Teaspoon of cement and ride in the rain. You can always tell the regular commuters from the rest. When it rains, you get wet. There is no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Wayfarer wrote:Sweet as :D Goddarn it, rain till next saturday.. how's a bloke supposed to train? :(

Haha why do you have my me quoted in your sig?