Cycle tour - campsite needed

il padrone

Cycle tour - campsite needed

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:35 am

OK, I have a problem and seek some local advice. I'm organising a group of 17 cyclists doing a tour of the east of Tasmania. We are planning to travel across the Central Plateau down to Richmond then up the east coast. Planning to be in Richmond on New Years Day. I've just spoken to the caravan park at Richmond and they cannot do us a single night - 3-night minimum :( . This is a stop on our way through to Triabunna. Most of our other camping in towns has already been booked.

We need an overnight stop on our way through from Bothwell to Triabunna, and Richmond was the obvious tourist stop (plus their bakery is wonderful). Now we have to consider a bush camp. There is a caravan park at Cambridge, but it's a bit too far south and they may have similar 3-night min. over Christmas/New Year. We may be better to just bush camp - something our group is experienced with.

Does anyone have any local knowledge to recommend a campsite in the area around Richmond, or Colebrook perhaps?? Maybe we can just camp under the Richmond bridge :P
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

zephy

Re: Cycle tour - campsite needed

Postby zephy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:03 am

mmmmmm..... I remember Richmond very fondly....

Curried Scallop Pie.... wasn't cheap, but hell it not only looked good.... :mrgreen:

stayed at the caravan park last trip, can't recall a freebie in the camps book off hand.... I'd stay away from that bridge or at least keep off the grass.... they've killer ducks there..... be on your guard passing through Bagdad too :lol:

Just an ol' man, riding an ol' bike.... every hill feels like Alpe d'Heuz....

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:17 am

Scanning Google Maps I see that there are a couple of footy ovals in Campania, and possible camping next to a large reservoir, Craigbourne Dam, near Colebrook. These may work for us.

Does anyone know anything about these?
Mandatory helmet law?

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Try ringing the Pres of the richmond football club on 0408-129-561. His name is John Conway. the ground has a set of change rooms etc and is a regular stop for such things as the BV Tours and camper van tours etc. I'm sure he would be interested although don't knwo if there would be a clash given it is a sunday. good luck.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Being a sook with a wife and caravan, I am not sure of what your requirements are for a bush camp site. Are you familiar with the Richmond area? There is an area beside the old Brinktop Hill road, about 2 km out of Richmond on the way to Sorell. You can pick up the Tasman Highway about 8 km away. The site I have in mind is secluded, with no facilities whatsoever, except for a magnificent view over the Richmond valley. I live 30 km from Richmond, so might be able to answer any questions or get some photos to you if you have queries relating to a particular area.
Do you know Black Charlies Gap, on the Tasman Highway about 14 km north of Sorell? About half way up the gap an area on the side of the road, created by a realignment of the road, could be of interest.

I frequently see the odd motor home park overnight in a little used carpark in the heart of Richmond. It is located on the road coming in from Campania . You take the last exit left before hitting the main street in Richmond, and you will find a spacious bitumenised area with an excellent toilet block. It is on the opposite side of the main street to Richmond Bakery, and has a little walk lane to a general store.

PM me if you want my phone number; happy to help you.
Jeff

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:31 pm

master6 wrote:Being a sook with a wife and caravan, I am not sure of what your requirements are for a bush camp site. Are you familiar with the Richmond area? There is an area beside the old Brinktop Hill road, about 2 km out of Richmond on the way to Sorell. You can pick up the Tasman Highway about 8 km away. The site I have in mind is secluded, with no facilities whatsoever, except for a magnificent view over the Richmond valley.
Do you mean somewhere around here? It's a possibility. A bit basic but would be OK.

master6 wrote:I frequently see the odd motor home park overnight in a little used carpark in the heart of Richmond. It is located on the road coming in from Campania . You take the last exit left before hitting the main street in Richmond, and you will find a spacious bitumenised area with an excellent toilet block. It is on the opposite side of the main street to Richmond Bakery, and has a little walk lane to a general store.
I saw that, but it seems to be a bus parking area - in fact if I recall, that's exactly where our school tour bus parked when we did the Tasmania Tour 5 or 6 years ago. There does appear to be some grassy treed parkland here though. I would think it'd be a bit too cheeky to camp here, right in town ??

I'm more interested in this area, on the edge of town beside the Coal River. What is it used for? Would a mob of 16 cyclists camping there attract unwanted attention? The other curious area is the large grassed area behind the Richmond Arms - looks almost like a village square of some sort :?:
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:45 pm

BenevolantDictatorD wrote:Try ringing the Pres of the richmond football club on 0408-129-561. His name is John Conway. the ground has a set of change rooms etc and is a regular stop for such things as the BV Tours and camper van tours etc. I'm sure he would be interested although don't knwo if there would be a clash given it is a sunday. good luck.
Thanks for the contact info. I shall give him a call :D
Mandatory helmet law?

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:26 pm

il padrone wrote:I'm more interested in this area, on the edge of town beside the Coal River. What is it used for? Would a mob of 16 cyclists camping there attract unwanted attention?
This is in fact the Richmond Football Ground, which my friend B/DictatorD has suggested. I was not aware that this area might be available, however B/D has had considerable experience in the area and is far more knowledgeable than my unhumble self. An excellent venue if you can arrange it.
Let us know how you get on there. If necessary, we will do more hunting.

David_G

Postby David_G » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:27 pm

il padrone wrote: Maybe we can just camp under the Richmond bridge :P

When I was in Tassie for the first time on a school trip, the local story is there are bodies buried in side it'
Make sure you leave a light on if that's where you end up sleeping :wink:
I just love riding my bike!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:15 pm

master6 wrote:
il padrone wrote:I'm more interested in this area, on the edge of town beside the Coal River. What is it used for? Would a mob of 16 cyclists camping there attract unwanted attention?
This is in fact the Richmond Football Ground, which my friend B/DictatorD has suggested.
Yes, saw the Football Ground and it may be a solution, but I was actually referring to the land between what looks like a BMX track and the river, just a grassy slope to the river bank. Is it part of the football club's land, or other council land?
Mandatory helmet law?

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:46 pm

il padrone wrote:
master6 wrote:
This is in fact the Richmond Football Ground, which my friend B/DictatorD has suggested.
Yes, saw the Football Ground and it may be a solution, but I was actually referring to the land between what looks like a BMX track and the river, just a grassy slope to the river bank. Is it part of the football club's land, or other council land?
I will ride by and have a squiz.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:24 pm

Sorted :D . Camping at the footy ground is going to be possible. Thanks for your help and suggestions, master6 and BenevoentDictatorD.
Mandatory helmet law?