mark field

Re: Hard Rubbish/Flea market finds

Postby mark field » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:48 am

that has to be one of the "finds of the year" :D
steel is the real deal.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:55 pm

I know we're bike geeks and all, but the mind still boggles as to how someone could throw such a piece of art in the rubbish..

Even a layperson could surely tell the difference between an old bike from K mart (or the period equivalent) and something with ornate lugs and such quality gear on it.

Madness!

PS : restore the hell out of that bike.. and get the top tube repaired! what a find :)

austy37

Postby austy37 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:41 pm

i too thought is was weird someone threw it out, it also came with some 80's road shoes -way too small for me, stuffed with a pair of socks!
i think the front forks are out of alignment though, i took a bike to a shop once and they said they dont fix bent forks, i thought there was a tool that can at least realign the dropouts? i took off those rubber tires, that was hard work, but the wheels spin up a treat. i am not sure i am up for a resto. as its not really my size, bike is 55 and im more of a 54....shorter stem maybe? i live on canberra, is there anyone around who could fix that top tube? i like the cinelli bars though, they are an interesting shape.

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:04 pm

understandable, that your not up for a resto, in the past ive gone over my bikes with de-greaser, let them soak and then taken them to the self serve car wash, parked them upside down and or against the wall and hit them with the soap brush then hit them with the high pressure soap hose to remove the grease. its a quick way to let you really know the condition of what youve got. and if you want to leave it a quick lube and your done.
steel is the real deal.

koen

Postby koen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:15 pm

As others have said...a great find! I so miss the tip in Rockhampton. Now that I live in Brisbane I never even get to dream of finds like that.
It is not obvious in the photos but has it got an unsual seat cluster? I have a Holdsworth that looks very like this and the seat stays wrap right over the top tube.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:08 pm

WyvernRH wrote:Kicker here is they were absolute horrors to get on and especially off. I broke a couple of tyre levers getting the MTB version (yes there was one! :shock: ) off a set of wheels for a friend back in the 90's and most mechanics hated them.
I'd just get the box cutters out and slice it off.. you aren't going to keep the tire anyway so why bother removing it intact.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

koen

Postby koen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:14 pm

austy7's tip bike may be a Holdsworth?? Mine is such a nice ride. It is the opposite of stiff and hard riding so I'd be getting it roadworthy again one day.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:38 am

koen wrote:austy7's tip bike may be a Holdsworth?? Mine is such a nice ride. It is the opposite of stiff and hard riding so I'd be getting it roadworthy again one day.
Hmmm, could be, but the headbadge rivet holes are not in the right place for the later model badge that matches this frame's period. The frame number might be your friend here. However, lots of other makes used the 'either-side' rivets and you could use that fact to exclude some makes that used 'top-bottom' rivets (Claud Butler/Elswick) or three rivets (Raleigh). The rivet holes maybe tends to suggest it is not Australian as riveted headbadges seem rare on Oz bikes (Tho' Speedwell used a chrome 'S' for a while)
It could also be a "Put your British Framebuilder Here" as everyone used Nevex lugs including Raleigh, Dawes, Falcon, Viking and a host of other big builders including Peugeot, Motobecane, Gazelle, RIH etc on the continent. Better class Malvern Stars and other Oz marques used them too I believe.
Unless there are particular frame quirks like wrap-around stays, fork embellishments (or even a head badge!) unlabeled Nervex lugged frames are almost impossible to identify as these lugs were so commonly used.
They do not always indicate a class frame (though in this case it does look very good) as Peugeot for one used Nervex lugs with their 'own brand' unbutted tubing ( I have one) to produce a class looking frame lower in a lower price range.
Cheers
Richard

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:45 am

Hope I'm wrong but I just looked at this picture again.
Just above the brake cable on the headstock, running between the back of the lug point to the back/bottom of the top head lug is a black line. I'm hoping it is dirt or just a scratch but it looks like a crack :shock: .
Tell me I'm wrong ...please...
Cheers
Richard

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:13 am

i think your looking at the cable has worn away at the lug leaving a destinctive shape, and the "crack" is actually the lug shape. compare the shape of the line to that of the down tube lug and you will see it has the same linear curve. however at that point where the cacle has worn there does appear to be a tiny horizontal line that intersects it. assuming your looking at what i am anyway.
steel is the real deal.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:52 am

mark field wrote:i think your looking at the cable has worn away at the lug leaving a destinctive shape, and the "crack" is actually the lug shape. compare the shape of the line to that of the down tube lug and you will see it has the same linear curve. however at that point where the cacle has worn there does appear to be a tiny horizontal line that intersects it. assuming your looking at what i am anyway.
Yup, you are right. Obvious now I'm looking at it on a screen with decent resolution!
Cheers
Richard

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Nice pick-up. Looking for clues: What is the patent date on top of the rear derailleur. Is the bottom bracket threading italian, english or french? Is the head stem quill 22mm or 22.2mm? Is there a tiny hole just above the hanger bolt on the rear hanger? What is the rear axle spacing? Ian Downing in Canberra would be able to true up those forks. Warren

Tasman

Postby Tasman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Not my sort of thing but I found this Haro BMX at the local tip shop and they only wanted $5 for it, couldn't resist. There's a few minor things to fix and then I'll give it to a mate who works with underprivileged kids. I'm sure he will find a deserving recipient.

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:10 am

nice one Tasman, money well spent for a good cause.
steel is the real deal.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:34 am

lunar_c wrote:I know we're bike geeks and all, but the mind still boggles as to how someone could throw such a piece of art in the rubbish..

Even a layperson could surely tell the difference between an old bike from K mart (or the period equivalent) and something with ornate lugs and such quality gear on it.

Madness!

PS : restore the hell out of that bike.. and get the top tube repaired! what a find :)
Believe it or not i actually found a mid 80s Pinarello Frame at the tip once :shock:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Haakon

Postby Haakon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:47 am

Got this for $20, pretty rough but I wanted a cheapie road bike so this fits. Good excuse to put a chainreaction order in :lol:

Needs tyres, cables, chain, and a lotta love. A seat and clipless pedals for me. Also need to find some Suntour stem shifters from somewhere... (anyone?)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

koen

Postby koen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:39 pm

Nice one. Is it the DR10 or a french model...nice either way.

Haakon

Postby Haakon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Nah, its just a UO-8 I think. Its one of the Melbourne assembled bikes distributed by Cycles Australia, so lots of Japanese components and forks.

Just getting it going rat rod style for now :wink:

This where its at now!! [img][IMG]http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4236/imagevjc.jpg[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Ferrovelo

Haminex

Postby Ferrovelo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:02 pm

Not quite as special as austy's find, but the price was right so I couldn't just drive on past.
The old lady who came out for a chat was well pleased that someone was happy to take it home.

Image Image Image Image

elStado

Re: Haminex

Postby elStado » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:58 pm

amrjon wrote:Not quite as special as austy's find, but the price was right so I couldn't just drive on past.
The old lady who came out for a chat was well pleased that someone was happy to take it home.
Nice. Bit of a clean up and TLC and it'll be a nice old vintage cruiser for someone.

maccayak

Postby maccayak » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:39 pm

Found 2 in my travels today.
Repco Olympic 12

Ricardo

Geoff

zephy

Postby zephy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:03 pm

picked up this morning, looks to be pretty well all original Raleigh Cameo 3 speed.... it all works both front and back rims a little out of whack but not much.... the Raleigh seat is so comfy :P ..... any idea on age? '70's, '80's?

head stem badge

and the bike...

Just an ol' man, riding an ol' bike.... every hill feels like Alpe d'Heuz....

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:40 pm

sturmey archer hubs have a year date on the hub. My guess is 76 AW :)
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Picked up a very nice Repco Olympic 12 from the tip yesterday, very rusty spokes on the front wheel (Wolber rim-Joytech hub), and the front and rear derailleurs need a very good scrub but the frame is in exceptionally good condition. A good wash, then i'll swap the front and rear derailleurs and badly scratched brake levers for some Exage bits i have and it will be ready for the Noosa L'Eroica show and shine :D . Apologies for the poor quality pics.

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:18 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Apologies for the poor quality pics.
What did you use to take those pics, a potato?