Gears auto shifting and not smooth

clumsy_oaf

Gears auto shifting and not smooth

Postby clumsy_oaf » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:37 am

Stacked my bicycle 4 days ago. Got a quick service to get handlebars straightened, wheels trued and derailers adjusted. Very smooth until today. Went 25km to work and the gears struggled. Didn't shift or mesh smoothly and would shift automatically when I'm peddling. Anybody has experience in this?

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:36 am

I have never had troubles with auto shifting gears but i have had troubles changeing gears.

Take it back to your shop if you aren't comfortable playing but it just sounds like your cables have stretched a little or are over tight (cant tell depending on which way the gears are over shifting).

That or you are changeing gears when you are supposed to be braking. :roll:

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

clumsy_oaf

Postby clumsy_oaf » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:38 am

Definitely wasn't braking. Was trying to upshift as I gained speed. Will definitely drop it off at a shop. This bike is only 5 days old. I hope the crash didn't damage the derailers significantly.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:08 pm

That was a joke champ.

5 days old. Just needs a cable adjustment mate. 3min job.

Some info can be found here.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:47 pm

G'day Clumsy_oaf,

Welcome to the forum. I hope your fall didn't put you off riding too much.

Ask the shop to check the alignment of the derailleur hanger (that's the place where the derailleur attaches to the frame). Your ghost shifting can be a symptom of a bent hanger, and I've bent one in a stack before.

Hopefully, it's just a cable adjustment though.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

clumsy_oaf

Postby clumsy_oaf » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:56 pm

Adjusted the low and high position on the front derailer and the cable tension. Also adjusted the rear derailer cable tension. Runs a treat now. A bit panicky because I didn't know what was going on and the bike is so new. Luckily a colleague is good with this stuff and he went over it with me.

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:35 am

New bikes generally need some adjustments due to cable stretch and just the parts bedding in.

Also ... now that you have a taste of bike mechanics, you will appreciate that its not so hard to do the work yourself.