Touring and Helmet considerations - Help

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Its time for a new helmet so I thought I'd ask for some feedback on choosing a helmet suitable for touring (perhaps more than others)
I'm thinking light color/colors (maybe white/silver) and lightish weight?
My last helmet has been with me for longer than I can remember but I've been neglectful and I've ignored for a while that its time to say goodbye.
I'm a tightwad and will run gear into the ground before disposing of it. :roll:
This isnt a good policy with safety gear so I'm going to bite the bullet and fork out for a new one.
A quick peruse showed I'm spoilt for choice. :o
I nearly bought one a while ago, a Limar from memory but in the end I couldn't part with my dosh for a helmet that was far from appeasing to my eye.
A very cursory look on bikeexchange brought up a Bell Solar
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bike_acc ... /100350158
which looked reasonable bang for buck.
However I'm well out of touch on what are good products so I'm asking for some opinions.
I dont mind spending more if I feel I'm getting good bang for buck.
I think my current helmet is a Netti and possibly a mountain bike design(?) as it has a peak/visor and I've noticed the guys whizzing around
on the racing bikes dont seem to have them.
A helmet without a visor would be good for a product like this:
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bike_acc ... /100350899
which I thought "might" be good to have for riding in the hot Aussie sun.
Thoughts, opinions and drunken ramblings welcome :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Re: Touring and Helmet considerations - Help

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi

I have never thought of getting a "touring" bike helmet. I just use my Bell Sweep with a cycling cap underneath it to keep the rain off my glasses/sun off my face a bit. Seems to work fine for me.

Andrew

glennb

Postby glennb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Safety's not really an factor since they're all made to the same standard.

And they're all a rort except for the $20 models.

I used a Limar for five or six years. Not cheap, not pretty, but comfortable, light, and breathed well.

Using a Cratoni now. Happy with it.

p.s. visors are removable.

p.s.s. you can paint your helmet any colour you like, pink/orange/lime ones are often cleared out at half the price of blacks/whites/greys/silvers

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

I have never thought of getting a "touring" bike helmet. I just use my Bell Sweep with a cycling cap underneath it to keep the rain off my glasses/sun off my face a bit. Seems to work fine for me.

Andrew
Not so much a touring helmet as a helmet more suitable for touring.
A friend who visited me here in Aus from NZ spent a lot of time whingeing about his black helmet and the heat (last summer).
I hadnt thought about it before his comments but decided not to buy a dark helmet and to get one with ample vents.
Realising that there might be other considerations worth thinking about I've opened this thread in the hope
that should there might be other "obvious" no no's that I might otherwise overlook someone more clever than me might
kindly point them out..
If there isnt, well more power to me for not overlooking them but hey, why not ask the people who tour?
I'm putting it out there having remembered the dark color thing having been out for a ride the other day
and getting slightly crispy because I hadnt considered how hot it was.
I might as well ask about decent sunscreen lotions whilst I'm here.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:30 pm

glennb wrote:Safety's not really an factor since they're all made to the same standard.

And they're all a rort except for the $20 models.

I used a Limar for five or six years. Not cheap, not pretty, but comfortable, light, and breathed well.

Using a Cratoni now. Happy with it.

p.s. visors are removable.

p.s.s. you can paint your helmet any colour you like, pink/orange/lime ones are often cleared out at half the price of blacks/whites/greys/silvers
Good tip about the visor - I didnt know that.
"comfortable, light, and breathed well" are things I too feel are important.
Do you get this from your Cratoni? What model is it?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:43 pm

The main issues tend to be weather-related. However the helmet provides limited solutions to this.

Rain-cap for the helmet (stick it over top of the helmet, it really is very effective... and cheap)

Sun-protection and evaporative cooling

If you're a radical you could try this sort of helmet-mod for sun protection
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:02 pm

rifraf wrote:I hadnt thought about it before his comments but decided not to buy a dark helmet and to get one with ample vents.
Okay. Mine is a very faded red with plenty of vents and it is relatively light ... I guess that it while it works for me, even on days where the temp has hit 50 C on the bike I will not change it. MInd you it was not cheap, over $200 IIRC.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glennb

Postby glennb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:21 pm

There's plenty of options for cold/wet weather - many (most?) rock-climbing, snow skiing, and skateboarding helmets are made to the same standard.

I have two of the models linked below

http://www.cratoni.de/en/bike-helmets/1 ... c-kid.html

It was the lightest sleek helmet I could find, and a good candidate for further modifications for improved fit, air channeling, and weight reduction (143g).

No longer legally compliant of course, but so be it.

The differences between the summer and winter helmets are the summer one I altered the vents and painted it white, and the winter one I sealed some vents and painted it black.

Even in an unmodified state it'd make a good helmet, just have to remove the pads if you have a big head.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:52 pm

I only have one head, so I'm wearing a Giro Atmos - very light and very well ventilated. Before that I had a Met Stradivarius. If you have two heads an "el cheapo" helmet may do.

I really don't think the colour makes much difference, since there is around half an inch of insulating material between the outer shell and your head. My last helmet was black and the current one is titanium - I'm not sure there is any noticeable difference. I do always wear a cap under my helmet, it helps to keep sweat and sun out of my eyes. Visors are for mountain bikers, and have no credibility for road riders.

Caps - Prendas is probably the best ever value-for-money cycling clothing merchant - get 4 caps for $33. For more upmarket style, try Waltz Caps. Love 'em.

Don't modify a helmet, or buy one from overseas - they are not approved for use in Australia. So what? - some might say. Well, if you are involved in an accident and want to make a damages claim for a head injury, and you're not wearing an approved helmet - good luck, the lawyers will love it...
Last edited by RonK on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:02 am

RonK wrote:I do always wear a cap under my helmet, it helps to keep sweat and sun out of my eyes. Visors are for mountain bikers, and have no credibility for road riders.
So you wear a cap to keep the sun out of your eyes but then you say there's no credibility in wearing a visor on your helmet :?:

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:05 am

Exactly - road cyclists don't wear MTB helmets, they wear caps.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:16 am

RonK wrote:Exactly - road cyclists don't wear MTB helmets, they wear caps.
:lol: :mrgreen:

Andrew

Max

Postby Max » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:49 pm

But what if I'm riding a mountain bike on the road?!?!?!!! What then! Will the universe implode in the visor/cap/mountain/road paradox? Is it like a piece of buttered toast strapped to the back of a cat?

Sorry for derailing your thread, rifraf :mrgreen:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Max wrote:But what if I'm riding a mountain bike on the road?!?!?!!! What then! Will the universe implode in the visor/cap/mountain/road paradox? Is it like a piece of buttered toast strapped to the back of a cat?

Sorry for derailing your thread, rifraf :mrgreen:

Max
I think the "derailing" thread is here:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=46560
cheers
Aidan :D :lol: :wink:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:04 pm

but what about a recumbent which does need a visor. I'm going to need to get one.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Max wrote:But what if I'm riding a mountain bike on the road?!?!?!!! What then! Will the universe implode in the visor/cap/mountain/road paradox? Is it like a piece of buttered toast strapped to the back of a cat?
Well - if you are riding an MTB on the road, does that make you a road cyclist? :? Probably not. When I'm on my MTB, I wear an MTB helmet (with visor), regardless of where I'm riding. :roll:

But you must realise that Rifraf has for a long time been isolated by living a freezing shed in the black blocks of darkest NZ, where he has been constrained to use a blast furnace for cooking, and to cycling with toe-clips and straps, so poor fellow, he needs guidance to bring him up to date with modern cycling technology and custom. :lol: :lol: :lol: And also he needs leadership to show him how to properly max out his credit card. :lol: :lol: :lol: At least he is suitably located in Mudgee where his drinking problem is now properly taken care of - there is plenty of McGuigan Black Label Shiraz to drink, so no problem. :mrgreen:

Get the Giro, Rifraf.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Baalzamon wrote:but what about a recumbent which does need a visor. I'm going to need to get one.
A sombrero maybe - you should have read this article. Then bought a Tour Easy Ti Rohloff frame.

BTW, do I get the impression that you are going to sell the Nomad to Polishbiker?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:11 pm

RonK wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:but what about a recumbent which does need a visor. I'm going to need to get one.
A sombrero maybe - you should have read this article. Then bought a Tour Easy Ti Rohloff frame.

BTW, do I get the impression that you are going to sell the Nomad to Polishbiker?
NO WAY!!!!! That thorn is with me for life! Just4thehellabut showed me a carbon visor to be used on recumbents which simply zip ties on. Hmm do I need a new helmet so I don't waste cable ties....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:56 pm

When your head hits the pavement, does it care whether you are touring, road training, shopping, or whatever. I went into a bike shop expecting to pay $200 to $250 and saw an Adura helmet for $49. I asked the salesman why I should spend more, explaining frankly that I had come prepared with $250. His honest response was "no reason at all". The helmet comes with a visor, which is totally uncool for an over active ego that fancies itself as not too fast, but pretty to watch.
The visor was easily removed, and the $49 Adura helmet blends in as just another in the bunch.

I'm still pretty to watch. Wish I was faster!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm

RonK wrote: But you must realise that Rifraf has for a long time been isolated by living a freezing shed in the black blocks of darkest NZ, where he has been constrained to use a blast furnace for cooking, and to cycling with toe-clips and straps, so poor fellow, he needs guidance to bring him up to date with modern cycling technology and custom. :lol: :lol: :lol: And also he needs leadership to show him how to properly max out his credit card. :lol: :lol: :lol: At least he is suitably located in Mudgee where his drinking problem is now properly taken care of - there is plenty of McGuigan Black Label Shiraz to drink, so no problem. :mrgreen:

Get the Giro, Rifraf.
:lol: I'll get a Giro Ron" :lol: :lol:

I had a few parcels arrive today from the wiggles and another English store.
My long awaited suspension parts for front fork have arrived and I think I can now fully recondition it.
I have all the moving/wearing parts.
I also got in as a spare a rear brass pivot bearing set for the rear frame (swingarm?).
A spare bottom bracket and rear derailluer are now in my "just in case" parts box.
My Ortlieb yellow and black handlebar bag arrived - I ended up going with the plus.
My Ergon grips/bar ends arrived and are now on and will be test run shortly.
A Ortlieb 10 litre water bag.

As most of my purchases came under advisement of some sort from here, yes indeed of "modern cycling technology and custom",
my card is maxed out and alas I am now indeed a "poor fellow".
Think I"ve just enough left for tomorrows McGuigan.
Cheers
Aidan :D
Last edited by rifraf on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Be 'one with the bike' :P

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:30 pm

rifraf wrote:As most of my purchases came under advisement of some sort from here, yes indeed of "modern cycling technology and custom",
my card is maxed out and alas I am now indeed a "poor fellow". Think I"ve just enough left for tomorrows McGuigan.
Now we just have to wean you off that old roaring blast furnace and get you onto a lightweight stove that won't rip the bottom out of those shiny new panniers! :lol: :lol: :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:35 pm

il padrone wrote:Be 'one with the bike' :P
Tsk, tsk. Well the bike designer did a fantastic job, but according to my style consultant (wife) the rider is sadly lacking in colour coordination and should be wearing a yellow jersey. :roll: :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:46 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:As most of my purchases came under advisement of some sort from here, yes indeed of "modern cycling technology and custom",
my card is maxed out and alas I am now indeed a "poor fellow". Think I"ve just enough left for tomorrows McGuigan.
Now we just have to wean you off that old roaring blast furnace and get you onto a lightweight stove that won't rip the bottom out of those shiny new panniers! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I bought the hard anodised Trangia for moments (tours) of weakness.
Funny enough the wiggles first sent the wrong one (no coating on it).
After me moaning they told me to keep it and sent me the right one.
The whole exercise took some weeks to complete mind you which threatened to
put me off online purchases - saying that I'm now a platinum customer.
I do find the alcohol a little slow but acknowledge that the 111C is really a base camp
stove rather than a light weight, travel friendly implement.
I"m working on changing my mindset. The 111C has been one of my favorite toys for a long time now. :D
I do like the fact the Trangia doesnt seem bothered by wind and in fact seems to prefer a bit of a breeze. :shock:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:59 pm

rifraf wrote:My Ortlieb yellow and black handlebar bag arrived - I ended up going with the plus.
and how do you find the material?

Andrew