Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

rifraf

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby rifraf » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:22 pm

What tinkering have you been doing Ron?
Hows everything bedding in?
Whats your impressions of your grips?
This is your first turn with them?
What about your XT spd's - thoughts? Happy with them?
I just finished adding mine to my bike today.
Have you had to adjust your saddle much to find your seating position?
Is it similar to where you had it on the Sabbath?
Enjoying your dynamo hub lights? - Thoughts?

I had a couple of boxes from Wiggle turn up today.
I can finally proofide my saddle.
My shoes were in one box.
Really like them - glad I took your advice and went the extra mile for the Northwave Drifter GTX.
I think the size 43 fit is going to be fine.
I spent some time and add the XT 785's to my cranks today and cleaned my chain/cassette/chainring in anticipation of a lube and ride tomorrow.
Cheers
Aidan :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Not much tinkering Rifraf - I haven't fitted the lights yet as a bracket extender is needed for the E3 tail light. And I'm brainstorming some sort of extra bracket arrangement which will allow me to fit the Cateye TL-LD1100 along with the E3 tail light. Then I would like to integrate the wiring for the lights and charging system so they are as tidy as possible (I loathe untidy cabling) but I don't need the charging system until I go on tour, so I'm tossing up whether to leave it all off for now. Sunrise here is currently around 5:00 am so no need for lights anyway. I have fitted my favourite (Rox 9) computer though, and taken off the fat 2.0 " Marathon Duremes. I don't want to wear them out (or push them around) before I go on tour so I've fitted a narrower set of Marathon Supremes.

I've only had one ride so far, but will be heading out early tomorrow for a 60 km ride and similar again on Sunday. I'm pretty much delighted with the way everything is working. I adjusted the grips upward about 20 minutes into my first ride to support my wrists better, and so far they seem very comfortable. It's really the excellent reputation of these grips that convinced me to try the flat bars. Tomorrows' longer ride should reveal just how good they really are.

The XT Trail pedals are great so far, although I need to check the spring tension as there is one side of the right pedal that seems a little tight to enter. I do recommend you get a set of silver cleats asap though. With the silver cleats they allow a good range of float. There has been no sign of any hot-spotting of my feet - again, a longer ride will be the proof of the pudding.

Saddle height is never really an issue for me - from long experience I know it must be 775mm precisely from the centre of the crank to the top of the saddle measured along the seatpost, so I can get my saddle to the correct height first time every time.

Tomorrow I have arranged to meet Max at the Coffee Garage so she can look at the bike and we can talk touring. I'm looking forward to sharing what I have learned.

Have a good ride tomorrow, remember to practice disengaging the cleats, and keep the black side down :D
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:41 pm

RonK wrote:Not much tinkering Rifraf - I haven't fitted the lights yet as a bracket extender is needed for the E3 tail light. And I'm brainstorming some sort of extra bracket arrangement which will allow me to fit the Cateye TL-LD1100 along with the E3 tail light. Then I would like to integrate the wiring for the lights and charging system so they are as tidy as possible (I loathe untidy cabling) but I don't need the charging system until I go on tour, so I'm tossing up whether to leave it all off for now. Sunrise here is currently around 5:00 am so no need for lights anyway. I have fitted my favourite (Rox 9) computer though, and taken off the fat 2.0 " Marathon Duremes. I don't want to wear them out (or push them around) before I go on tour so I've fitted a narrower set of Marathon Supremes.
My set of Marathon Duremes 2.0 they are really a hard wearing tyre. I'm expecting them to last 7000km loaded and that is just for the rear. Really minimal wear over 1000km, only 1mm difference between front and rear.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:02 pm

RonK wrote:
I do recommend you get a set of silver cleats asap though. With the silver cleats they allow a good range of float.

Saddle height is never really an issue for me - from long experience I know it must be 775mm precisely from the centre of the crank to the top of the saddle measured along the seatpost, so I can get my saddle to the correct height first time every time.

Tomorrow I have arranged to meet Max at the Coffee Garage so she can look at the bike and we can talk touring. I'm looking forward to sharing what I have learned.

Have a good ride tomorrow, remember to practice disengaging the cleats, and keep the black side down :D
I did as you suggested and ordered the Rixen and Kaul Klickfix mount for my coming handlebar bag.
It arrived in the post with the shoes. Coming is the extender and I ordered from an ebay seller the Rixen & Kaul Multi Clip PLUS Light and Computer Mount as I saw my bars were getting a little cluttered.

Ok, I'll order the silver cleats on Wednesday (payday errr payout day)

Soon as my seatpost arrives I'm going to follow your lead and once I've got the seat to a comfy level I'll break out the measuring stick and
write it down "this time". - Hmmmmm I didnt think of that - good tip knowing the exact measurement.

Hopefully the practicing disengaging the cleats will be done whilst still vertical tomorrow..

Hi to Max and enjoy your morning!
Cheers

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Baalzamon wrote:My set of Marathon Duremes 2.0 they are really a hard wearing tyre. I'm expecting them to last 7000km loaded and that is just for the rear. Really minimal wear over 1000km, only 1mm difference between front and rear.
Well, it's useful to know the Duremes wear well but it's very noticeable how much better the Supremes roll. I'm not sure I'll put the Duremes back on - maybe I'll just buy a set of 2.0 Supremes.

Max

Postby Max » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Well, I met Ron and his bike yesterday. We talked mostly about my long-term plan of doing the Giro Tasmania, and Ron's experiences riding in Tassie. We also talked about bike stuff in general. It was a very informative chat. Thanks, Ron!

Staying on topic, WOW, that bike is nice. One of the sweetest rides I've seen in a long time! :D Its glistening beauty was such that I could barely tear my eyes away!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Max wrote:I could barely tear my eyes away!
Max
Eyes plural Max? :D
You mean thats not a photo? :lol:
Aww well, thats my bit of cheek for the day out of the way.
Max has looking at Ronks ride made you rethink any of your decisions with regards to getting a tourer?
Or how you'd set it up?
Are you considering a IGH before or after your Tassie tour?
You going to be happy enough with panniers or will you consider a trailer?
Given that Tassie has a reputation for rain, what weather gear are you packing?
Cheers

Max

Postby Max » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:49 pm

LOL Rifraf :lol:

Ron's bike is beautiful, no doubt. And from my perspective, it is pretty much an ideal configuration (though I would've gone disc brakes, but that's neither here nor there, what's important is that Ron's happy). I've been thinking about a custom build, based around an LHT frame with a Rohloff hub and all the various bits and pieces. Ron and I spoke about the Vivente Randonneur, a bike that ticks most of the boxes off the shelf. I'd been looking at one for my mum. Now that I've seen Ron's beautiful bike - and I know this will sound odd - I've pretty much changed my mind and decided I might go with a Randonneur myself.

What's that, you say, I saw a beautiful bike and decided I didn't want one just like it? Yes. I know. I didn't expect that either. But hear me out. I'm just getting into this touring thing. So new to it that I haven't even toured. Not even an overnighter. It's all just a concept right now, one that I'm learning lots about. I have grand plans, sure, but I don't know how it will pan out. I might do it and hate it. And then I'll have a beautiful custom bike that cost a fortune sitting around doing nothing. No. That's not cool. So I think I'll do some smaller tours (1-3 nights, or a week here and there if I can get leave) on my commuter (road bike with rack and panniers) and see how it goes. If I enjoy it, I'll get the Randonneur for Tasmania. Once I've done Tassie, I'll know if I want to keep doing it seriously, and I'll also know if the Randonneur meets my needs or if I really do need something nicer/swankier/better/whatever.

In terms of carrying capacity, I think I will be happy with panniers. I already have Ortleib back roller classics, and I think they'll be plenty for 2-3 day rides, even week-long rides. I can't think of any circumstance under which I'd consider a trailer. It's too much weight for my puny legs to carry, and the reality is that if I have so much crap that I need panniers front and back plus a trailer.. honestly, there's something wrong. That, or I'm riding a ridiculously long distance between resupply points. And I don't see that happening either.

RE wet-weather gear, I have a Ground Effect Flash Gordon jacket, GE Helter Skelter 3/4 pants and Sugoi Resistor booties. The booties are excellent, the jacket is very good, and the 3/4 pants are so-so. I've heard good things about Showers Pass rain pants, so I might check those out. Or, I might just live with getting wet. It's only water, right? Plus, I wear wool socks, so even when it's pissing rain, my feet tend to stay dry. That said, I remember one rainy ride early this year where I was really wishing I'd worn rain gear. It was 50Km of non-stop, pounding rain. I didn't realise it at the time, but the moisture made my skin so soft that my chamois actually abraded a 2-inch gash in my... "chamois region". :oops: :shock: This is something I never want to have happen again.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Max wrote:Ron and I spoke about the Vivente Randonneur, a bike that ticks most of the boxes off the shelf. I'd been looking at one for my mum. Now that I've seen Ron's beautiful bike - and I know this will sound odd - I've pretty much changed my mind and decided I might go with a Randonneur myself.
A wise choice Grasshopper - walk first, then run...

Max

Postby Max » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Only then will I be able to snatch the pebble out of your hand. :lol:

How was today's ride, Ron?

Max

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Max wrote:Only then will I be able to snatch the pebble out of your hand. :lol:

How was today's ride, Ron?

Max
Well, despite being another hot and humid morning, it was a pleasure Max.

When you already have a top-class touring bike, undertaking (for me, at least) a paradigm shift as I have with the Pioneer raises a few doubts and uncertainties. Will it be as good as the bike I already have? Will the Speedhubs' gear spacing work for me? What about the flat bars and Ergon grips - will they be comfortable. Will the handling be stable yet responsive? These questions have been running through my mind as I went about acquiring the components, and then finally bringing them all together into the gleaming machine they are now.

And after two days of solid riding, the answers are: Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

BTW, I didn't realise yesterday just how long I kept you, when it comes to touring there is just so much to talk about. But any time you feel like more just drop me a line... :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Solved my problem for mounting both E3 tail light and Shimano TL-LD1100 on the Tubus Cosmo rack. Good old Meccano - for a couple of dollars I ordered a few 1' long two-hole plates that will do the job just nicely...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:02 pm

[quote="il padrone"You'll be fine with those Ergon grips :wink: . They are the most comfortable thing around on two wheels. I am quite happy riding the bike for long distances without the mitts using these grips. No discomfort, vibration or numbness.[/quote]

My Ergon GC3 grips arrived today. I swapped them with my old gripshift grips and went for an hours spin.
Wow :!: :!: :!:
I'm more impressed with these than my new shoes and spd pedals (and I'm very impressed with them)
No numb outside two fingers nor tingling palms.
Very happy I made the switch. Its almost too good to be true. What an extraordinary difference.
The price is nothing if they keep up this level of comfort for 6 months.
Definitely changes my riding experience for the better. :D

Postby 93360 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:07 pm

rifraf wrote:
il padrone wrote:You'll be fine with those Ergon grips :wink: . They are the most comfortable thing around on two wheels. I am quite happy riding the bike for long distances without the mitts using these grips. No discomfort, vibration or numbness.
My Ergon GC3 grips arrived today. I swapped them with my old gripshift grips and went for an hours spin.
Wow :!: :!: :!:
I'm more impressed with these than my new shoes and spd pedals (and I'm very impressed with them)
No numb outside two fingers nor tingling palms.
Very happy I made the switch. Its almost too good to be true. What an extraordinary difference.
The price is nothing if they keep up this level of comfort for 6 months.
Definitely changes my riding experience for the better. :D
have a pair of ergon gs3 grips myself, best thing i've purchased for my bike and a close runner up would be the ergon pc2 pedals 8). however I absolutley can not wait for the ergon sm3 saddles to arrive on the shelves (albeit overseas) coz the stock saddle on my bike is a bit small and too hard, it's going to be a painful 4 months if I can't find a suitable substitute between now and then :(

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:03 pm

RonK wrote:Solved my problem for mounting both E3 tail light and Shimano TL-LD1100 on the Tubus Cosmo rack. Good old Meccano - for a couple of dollars I ordered a few 1' long two-hole plates that will do the job just nicely...
Come on now, wheres those Lumux pics we've been awaiting.
What are your impressions of the lights?
Any niggles yet?
Other than the seat swap have you changed anything else?.
Cheers

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:18 pm

rifraf wrote:Come on now, wheres those Lumux pics we've been awaiting.
Well, I haven't actually fitted the lights yet. With sunrise here at 4:49 am and sunset at 6:41 pm I have no need for them. But I'll have a few days at home after Xmas, so I'll probably fit them then.

I have now ridden more than 500 km on the bike. No adjustments have been necessary. Nothing has fallen off, nothing rattles - in fact the most noticeable sound (other than 7th gear) is some creaking from the B17. Time for some more proofide I think. I've just been considering what I'll write in my initial review, which I'll publish on my blog shortly, but suffice to say the experience has been extremely positive.

I've ordered a 17t sprocket, a sprocket tool and an oil change kit from Bike 24 - I've expected it to arrive before Xmas but not much time left for delivery. Well, no hurry anyway.
Last edited by RonK on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Wow.. that bike is ridiculously nice. I love those VN Ti frames. Just a pity they are so expensive! Way out of my league. The belt drive option looks pretty schmick too.

I really like the idea of a IGH for touring. I'd like to eventually build one up myself based on a LHT or similar. Just gotta put some $ aside and book flights.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:32 pm

elStado wrote:I really like the idea of a IGH for touring. I'd like to eventually build one up myself based on a LHT or similar. Just gotta put some $ aside and book flights.
Patience there. You've got time up your sleeve I believe. I've been cycle touring for over 30 years, and have been hankering for a Rohloff for about 10 years now and only got one this year. BTW, German sites (bike24, starbike) are the best options for purchase when the time comes.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:33 pm

Good to hear you've had no issues. :D
Zee Germans (bike24) can be a little pedestrian with their post it seems.
My Edelux and Son Delux was 30 days from go to whoa, so dont let it get to you.
I'll look forward to your impressions of your new lights.
Particularly if you notice any harmonic resonance whilst in use.
(I get some buzz through my front mudguard which is noticeable at certain speeds)
It apparently manifests as handlebar vibration in certain bikes but as mine has front suspension...........

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:23 pm

rifraf wrote:Zee Germans (bike24) can be a little pedestrian with their post it seems.
Order arrived at the office this morning. Now if the wider bottom bracket I ordered from c r c arrives I'll have a few tasks to keep me occupied during my Xmas break - install the bb, fit the lights and change the sprocket.

It will be interesting to see how good the E3 lights are - the benchmark they'll be rated against are my Ayups, which are dazzlingly good. But I really only got them as part of my rationalisation of devices, batteries and charging systems - since I have a dynamo hub to charge my batteries I might as well have a dynamo-powered lightset as well so I can run with the lights on permanently.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:38 pm

elStado wrote:Wow.. that bike is ridiculously nice. I love those VN Ti frames. Just a pity they are so expensive! Way out of my league. The belt drive option looks pretty schmick too.

I really like the idea of a IGH for touring. I'd like to eventually build one up myself based on a LHT or similar. Just gotta put some $ aside and book flights.
Yes, patience is essential - I could/would never have paid the list prices on the VN site, but by slowly accumulating components over an extended period, much of the financial pain goes unnoticed. Start with a frame from Planet X or FatBirds when they have a sale on, and get your Speedhub from Bike24. It took more than a year of research and watching the price and exchange rate to acquire all the componenets for my build.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:55 pm

RonK wrote: It will be interesting to see how good the E3 lights are - the benchmark they'll be rated against are my Ayups, which are dazzlingly good. But I really only got them as part of my rationalisation of devices, batteries and charging systems - since I have a dynamo hub to charge my batteries I might as well have a dynamo-powered lightset as well so I can run with the lights on permanently.
I've compared my Supernova E3 triple to my Ayup's. Both of mine are the older generation lights when I tested them, I have got a new model Supernova E3 triple on my Thorn tho. Ayup's are brighter than my triple, but I find the triple spits out a much more usable light and doesn't washout the road surface and I don't have batteries to worry about either.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:15 pm

Baalzamon wrote: I've compared my Supernova E3 triple to my Ayup's. Both of mine are the older generation lights when I tested them, I have got a new model Supernova E3 triple on my Thorn tho. Ayup's are brighter than my triple, but I find the triple spits out a much more usable light and doesn't washout the road surface and I don't have batteries to worry about either.
What, if any, feedback from oncoming folk have you had using the E3 triple on the road?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Once saw a cyclist lift hand up towards their face, but been past heaps of others and that is the only reaction I've had to it.
LED lights over here are brighter still. I've been blinded by people running LED's and my pet hate is coming around a corner and finding someone with Ayups bars and helmet going and they are a meter from you and you have no time to look away.

My next light will be an E3 pro for my bacchetta.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:56 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I've compared my Supernova E3 triple to my Ayup's.
You have the E3 Triple ??

Supernova wrote:Please note: The E3 Triple is probably not road legal in your country, it is more than twice as bright as any other dynamo light. Use it with care!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."