Swansea 2 Swans..can anyone tell me the year of manufacture

Bigkev57

Swansea 2 Swans..can anyone tell me the year of manufacture

Postby Bigkev57 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Hi folks, I am wondering if any of you here can assist me...I have just accquired what appears to be a Swansea 2 Swan with the 2 Swans on the headstock and 1 either side of the fork shoulders it is a pale/dark blue in color and has the shorter version vintage swayback cruiser handlebars you see on most old bikes(so based on what i have read here not a racer model ..though they could be just handlebars so that remains to be qualified) It is a Single back pedal brake and has these unusual hooped rear chainstays similar to a Malvern Star "Skidstar" configuiration and not seen on any of the bike pics you have here which lead up to and fixing to the seatbolt which appears to be the fixing point of the whole rear drop out system..they actually fold/fall backwards and pivot at the axle bolts when you remove the parcel rack and seatbolt..which by default makes the rear end look very ancient but loses some of the geometric rigidity(maybe i will put the rack back on???)...It has a sprung seat with an unusual Shell pattern design like a sunray or limpet shell found on the beach which is patterned into the surface of the leather.I notice talk of 3 and 5 Swan designs here in this forum...is it the same as the Malvern Stars starting with the more stars the better and older etc..or is that not how the Swansea nomenclatures work?????could you please date my 2 Swan generically for me as i have no other knowledge of it and could you offer me any other knowledge sources or links other than what i have found here in this forum which was a link from the aforementioned Canberra bike museum after days of searching ....i live in the Perth suburb of Nollamara..rgds Kevin

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Swansea 2 Swans..can anyone tell me the year of manufact

Postby Kalgrm » Mon May 03, 2010 4:02 am

This thread has been moved to the Retro forum as it seem most likely to get an answer there.

The second thread posted was removed as a double of this.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

scubadave

Postby scubadave » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:22 am

I have just read your post and the description of the bike you have given matches one that I have come across and begun restoring, did you ever find out the model name and year of this frame, I live in Fremantle and would be like to find out more about this particular swansea bike style.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Crikey! me too, see here

Advice I was given suggests that the year number is the last two digits of the number on the bottom bracket. If that's the case mine would be a 1961 frame, but bicyclepassion tells me that the cranks and rims are late 60's.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:12 pm

yeah na, its never been that easy (malvern star excepted in some years) your frame number is 39348 and its not a '48 ,well I dont think it is , but can you post up a photo of the head lugs? it looks like they may be English ones which may help date it better. the other numbers are some sort of casting detail for the BB

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:42 pm

Torana68 wrote: your frame number is 39348 and its not a '48 ,well I dont think it is , but can you post up a photo of the head lugs? it looks like they may be English ones which may help date it better. the other numbers are some sort of casting detail for the BB
The numbers Torana68 is quoting are off my bike not the OP's
here're a couple of shots of my headlugs - does your bike look the same Kevin?

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:02 am

[quote="RobertFrith"][quote="Torana68"] The numbers Torana68 is quoting are off my bike not the OP's
here're a couple of shots of my headlugs - does your bike look the same Kevin?

yep both the Swanseas on one dating thread, cant be bad :)
your headlugs are the earlier type, normally gone by the mid 1950's BUT being a small maker, with their own lugs, perhaps they had stocks that kept them going till the early 1960's? I dont think its muuc newer than '60 ish

Bigkev57

Postby Bigkev57 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Hey guys back on again after an extended hiatus..my 2 Swan actually has 2 Swans on the headstock..not surprisingly..and some would say of course it does..YES the shape of the swans is the same as the single Swan in the shown pics but does not have the logo and what appears to be rigid brake or cable line connectors..or are they the legs of a front parcel rack connection..???...either way..its a 2 Swan guys and thanks for your input..im gonna clean it up and then post some pics..cheers Kev.

Bigkev57

Postby Bigkev57 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:31 pm

And i shouldnt be so lazy Robert..i will get some pics of mine when i find the way to post pics..been so long i think i have forgotten how to attach them..humble apologies Kev.