Update on collarbone

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
trailgumby

Re: Update on collarbone

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:31 am

jules21 wrote:
elStado wrote:
Oxford wrote:much better than taking pills.
The other alternative is the natural herbal pain remedy. :wink:
oh yeah
<image snipped>
thanks for the suggestion. :lol:

Given the mounting evidence that maryjane is a trigger for paranoid schizophrenia among other mental illnesses in an unknown percentage of the population, I think I'll pass. :P

Still a little sore this morning, but better than yesterday. Have been much more careful to avoid actions that involve lifting my arm above shoulder height.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:00 pm

Tried a 35 minute session on the spin bike last Tuesday, which included some single leg drills. Collarbone was OK when I got off the bike but knew I'd pushed it too far by the end of the workout. Very sore for the rest of the week pretty much up until yesterday afternoon. Should have kept the bike work to the 20 minutes originally planned.

Gymmed with core strength and some leg weights work on Thursday and again today. Only bike work was 5 minutes to warm up. Shoulder is back to how it felt last Monday. Nurofen has been surprisingly useful in helping to settle it down.

I've been able to do some rotator cuff work on the right shoulder so long as I keep the arm down low, and have been doing that for 2 weeks. The left used to be the weak side after the shoulder dislocation 2.5 years ago, up until just the last few weeks before the crash. It's amazing how quickly I've lost strength in the right side.

I'm seeing the physio Monday. Hope to get an update on when I can recommence upper body work. Will continue with lower body and core strength work in the meantime so I don't completelyfall back to square one.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:36 am

Don't over tax your recovery Trailgumby. :|

My sister wouldn't listen to the Doc or us after shoulder reconstruction and is now going to need it done again, as well as her knee. :roll:

As much as it is frustrating, do it right the first time and you lessen your chances of things going haywire later on. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:14 am

Visited the physio this morning, he seemed happy with progress and wasn't too concerned about the soreness I mentioned in my last post. He said the good news is I've learned where the limit is for the moment, and just to go to the point where the collarbone "says hello" and no further.

He said I can expect it to "say hello" again the first couple of times I go road riding in a few weeks, and again when I go off-road for the first time a few weeks later. He's given me some gentle free weights work to do to keep the neural pathways to the pectorals and triceps active, and I'm pleased to say the collarbone didn't protest at all during those exercises.

Icing post exercise was recommended - should have thought of that myself - duh! :lol:

So it seems that everything is on track. Driving a car is OK, too, subject to comfort limits. The only out-of-bounds movement is crossing my right arm over to the left side and going to the end of range of movement under load for the next few weeks.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:32 am

First gym session after 12 days away while down in Melbourne last week and starting a new role this week.

We did many hours walking last week around Melbourne's CBD, and it is apparent that some parts of the drive train ;) (knees and pelvis/lower back) weren't used to the continuous effort for that type of movement.

The strength loss was readily apparent in a few areas, and the knees let me know they weren't entirely happy. I expected it after nearly two weeks, so started on lower weights for the first set, which was just as well. Concentrated on the eccentric side of the movement (lowering the weight slowly as the muscle lengthens) to get the work in without injuring anything.

Successfully completed 2 sets of lat pull-downs at reduced weight, and three sets of lying-on-side core strength exercises for the first time in 6 weeks. The issue with the latter is the pressure it puts on the shoulder as I need to keep the lower abdomen off the ground. Did better than expected, although collarbone is sore this morning. Forgot to ice it last night. :oops:

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:09 am

Nicely coming along! Moderation is good. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:08 pm

Survived a spin class tonight without drama. Woohoo! 8)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Tis looking good then! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Ah good news - the perfect antidote for the whingers & whiners threads 8)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:50 am

The collarbone has continued to survive spin classes, but the lower back issue has come back. 5 minutes countinuously out of the saddle at the end of the class on Thursday night exceeded the ability of my core muscles to hold me stable :( Had to stay seated and soft-pedal quite a few times towards the end of the class tonight. :cry:

Lower back is still a bit sore, but will now focus on making sure I don't exceed the limits of my core strength endurance. Not a great way to start training for the Mont, but you gotta play the cards you're dealt.

On the upside, I managed to do a few sets of push ups off my knees. The collarbone said "hello" but no discomfort afterwards or this morning, so that's a great sign. Also did some of the rotator cuff and glute (abduction) excercises I've had to put on hold for the last 8 weeks.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Managed 3 sets of 5 pushups off the toes this morning. Collarbone murmered slightly instead of saying "Hello!", so much better than last week.

Came down with a cold on Friday last unfortunately so was unable to take the bike out for a spin on the weekend or do any weight training, but it's a recovery week anyway.

Will be awhile before I get back to doing off-centre pushups on the upturned Bosu but I'm happy with the start.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:21 am

What is it with you southern blokes and colds? :|

Foo
Goal 6000km

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:31 pm

foo on patrol wrote:What is it with you southern blokes and colds? :|

Foo
Bunch of softies!
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Letting myself get sleep-deprived and run down didn't help, but I reckon we have world-class virus transmission facilities here in Syddenee (aka Sydney Buses :( ).

The good news was hitting it early and hard with vitamin C and echinacea, I was over the worst of it by Monday morning and able to participate in (and absorb) an important training course I had booked for that week.

Took the hardtail for a blat down the descendy bit of Manly Dam from Allambie to the Hydraulics lab yesterday, and pootled around some fire trails this morning for an hour or so, so I think the collarbone is pretty good. It let me know it was there when I had to pop the front up and over gutter-height-and-above tree roots and the like, but was otherwise fine.

Limiting factor now is the lower back strength and core stability that I've lost over the last 8 weeks or so ... hasten slowly and I should befine. :)

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:09 pm

trailgumby wrote:Limiting factor now is the lower back strength and core stability that I've lost over the last 8 weeks or so ... hasten slowly and I should befine. :)
Yoga will help fix this. + go see a good physio.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Either yoga or Pilates is on the game plan for the longer term, but I need to get the right muscles firing first. These are the deep ones we're generally not even conscious of day-to-day. It's important to avoid short-cutting otherwise I end up with bad habits that (like firing the superficial muscles close to the surface) that I need to then un-learn.

This is taking awhile as I've never had good posture or core engagement, even from very young. So I'm having to build a bunch of neural pathways that either didn't exist or are very under-developed. I'm seeing progress :) but it's a long-term project it seems.

Yes it's a pain... but you've gotta play the cards you're dealt, eh?