Mmm tasty new Avanti

Comedian

Re: Mmm tasty new Avanti

Postby Comedian » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:47 pm

CommuRider wrote:Carbon for commuting? Cracked rear stay due to pannier weight. :|
You know... one day real soon you're going to have get used to trusting carbon fibre. Qantas has 50 of those suckers on order. :)

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Comedian wrote:
CommuRider wrote:Carbon for commuting? Cracked rear stay due to pannier weight. :|
You know... one day real soon you're going to have get used to trusting carbon fibre. Qantas has 50 of those suckers on order. :)
I don't mind carbon for a roadie but not for my commuting.

I see it as the difference between having a Clydesdale

and a thoroughbred.

Yee-ha!
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Trepidious

Postby Trepidious » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:30 pm

CommuRider wrote:It's still heaps lower than the life expectancy of my car belt though. I changed it at I think around 100K km so I wonder why he needed to change his belt drive - whether it had loosened or because of foreign objects from unsealed terrains.
Might be more apt to compare them to belt-driven motorbikes than fan belts. As an idea the '03 Buell XB9R gives a replacement interval of 24000km for the belt, roughly the same as most chain-driven sports bikes.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Trepidious wrote:Might be more apt to compare them to belt-driven motorbikes than fan belts. As an idea the '03 Buell XB9R gives a replacement interval of 24000km for the belt, roughly the same as most chain-driven sports bikes.
& yet my old 250cc Kawasaki gave 50,000 km of faultless service before needing replacement. An interesting design feature was that instead of the drive sprocket being bolted to the wheel, there was a rubber donut that compressed slightly when power was applied. While this slightly reduced performance, it greatly increased the durability of the belt.

I suspect this is the real answer, in that the manufacturer / designer makes a trade off between reliability / durability and other factors such as weight, performance and cost.

Oh & in relation to valve timing in cars, one of the main reasons for belts is that they do not stretch and so maintain much better timing over their life. They would probably last well past 100,000 km, but the consequences of a belt braking are so catastrophic that they are scheduled for replacement well before that is a possibility. None of these factors are an issue on a bike.

Oh and CommuRider, clarks make a nice PTFE coated chain, available in pink or green as well as more boring colours of black, blue, red and white. No doubt it's the wrong shade of pink or green though :D

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:56 pm

Have seen some coloured chains on some blinged up fixies. Saw one with goldchain. If coloured belt drives take off, I wonder if they can be easily interchanged as watches...handlebar grips, drive, saddle....different colour for different moods. The bike accessorised as an accessory.

Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:48 pm

Trepidious wrote:Might be more apt to compare them to belt-driven motorbikes than fan belts. As an idea the '03 Buell XB9R gives a replacement interval of 24000km for the belt, roughly the same as most chain-driven sports bikes.
Later models had much better belt life (and according to this site they had lifetime warranties) but even at 24,000km it is much better than you will get from a poorly maintained chain. I wish more motorbikes had them!

I've been watching the Gates Carbon Drive with some interest and this bike has everything I want in a commuter and then some. I want one.

Trepidious

Postby Trepidious » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:55 am

Biffidus wrote:
Later models had much better belt life (and according to this site they had lifetime warranties) but even at 24,000km it is much better than you will get from a poorly maintained chain. I wish more motorbikes had them!

Well given the lifetime of Buell, I guess most of the belts did survive the company's lifetime :lol: (if you'll excuse the dark humour, I thought the brand and company had a lot going for it). Reckon I'm due for a new commuter soon, I'm still keen on one of these bikes.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:52 am

I'm definitely due. I haven't bought myself a new bike since 1997!

the grid

Postby the grid » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Rode this sucker today.
$1295
Not a sexy as the OP

http://www.avantibikes.com/fitness/blad ... px?bid=267

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:56 pm

How did you find it, the grid?

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:54 pm

Just spoke to my local bike shop. They pre-sold their first batch and aren't expecting new stock until April.

:(

Anyone know where I can buy one?

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:06 pm

the grid wrote:Rode this sucker today.
$1295
Not a sexy as the OP

http://www.avantibikes.com/fitness/blad ... px?bid=267
sub $1K making them a little sexier....maybe ??
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /100177976
chop wood

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:41 pm

If there are any of these for sale in SA I can't find them. Guess I know what I'm not getting for Christmas. :evil:

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Biffidus wrote:If there are any of these for sale in SA I can't find them. Guess I know what I'm not getting for Christmas. :evil:
not sure what taking pre orders means, but you might be in with a chance before xmas for a good price... maybe. . Its SA ...
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /100102455
chop wood

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:51 pm

For what it's worth, my custom Ti belt drive frame is up for grabs in the for sale section.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:10 am

I am looking at getting an INC 3 - living at the end of the universe (Perth) I probably have to order it without getting a ride first. Has anybody ridden any of the Avanti Inc range of bikes?
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:02 pm

I'm hoping to in the next month or so when they arrive here in SA.

All the LBS folks I've spoken to about the bike are really enthusiastic, they reckon it's a great little bike. Shame they sold the one they got - would have got them a few preorders had it been on display methinks.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Tue May 15, 2012 10:48 am

So my LBS didn't get any more bikes and none of the other shops I have called could tell me when more will be available.

:(

the grid

Postby the grid » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Bought an INC 3 had the guys at Jindalee find me one in Melbourne.
Very nice , I like the gearing and smooth changes.
I am a bit concerned if I puncture on the commute, I guess I'll have to learn how to take off Alfine 11 equiped wheel before that happens.
Very stealth with the reflectors and belt guard removed.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:31 pm

the grid wrote:Bought an INC 3 had the guys at Jindalee find me one in Melbourne.
Very nice , I like the gearing and smooth changes.
I am a bit concerned if I puncture on the commute, I guess I'll have to learn how to take off Alfine 11 equiped wheel before that happens.
Very stealth with the reflectors and belt guard removed.
It's easy peasy as long as you bring a wheel nut spanner! If not it's probably still possible to patch the flat but the degree of difficulty goes up!

the grid

Postby the grid » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks S
I need to disconnect the cable? Thats my concern.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:32 pm

the grid wrote:Thanks S
I need to disconnect the cable? Thats my concern.
All you do is select a middle gear, push the spring back on the hub and pop the connector out (as it's not under pressure). Then, go about your business and fix the flat.

When you've got it all back in place slide the selector spring back again and pop the connector in. It's **really** simple when you know how to do it. Don't worry about it, and when you get the bike get the shop to show you or I will if we meet up sometime. :)

I actually think it's slightly easier than a normal bike!

the grid

Postby the grid » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Is it ok if I call you from out on the road with my first flat?
Thanks for the great advice

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:47 pm

I've had mine for a week now. I love how quiet and smooth it is.

From previous experience I expect the Sports Contacts to last me about 6 months before they start getting punctures from the glass and thorns along my route. I've ordered a set of 700x32 Vittoria Randonneurs to replace them and will fit some decent mudguards once they are fitted. Can you get lightweight spanners for the puncture repair kit?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Biffidus wrote:Can you get lightweight spanners for the puncture repair kit?
yeh. comes for free with the lightweight water