Southern expressway

buzz

Southern expressway

Postby buzz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:48 am

With the development of the southern expressway starting later this year does anyone have any knowledge of how or if this will impact upon the cycling track?

MichaelB

Re: Southern expressway

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:18 pm

buzz wrote:With the development of the southern expressway starting later this year does anyone have any knowledge of how or if this will impact upon the cycling track?
Contact DTEI and ask them, they are the best ones who SHOULD know

buzz

Postby buzz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:27 pm

MichaelB wrote:
buzz wrote:With the development of the southern expressway starting later this year does anyone have any knowledge of how or if this will impact upon the cycling track?
Full of good ideas Micheal. I'll let you know how I get on. I was just hoping someone might be in the know!

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:02 am

My 4WD club had a guest speaker recently who is a govt traffic planner. I asked hima nd he said it wouldn't be affected as most of the road duplication should be on the opposite side to the track. There might be some closures as bridge work and explosive work take place.

buzz

Postby buzz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Its reassuring to here that there should be minimal ramifications for cyclists. Thanks for the input.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:57 am

I know some road designers working on the project down there. It's a long shot but i can ask them if they know anything.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

buzz

Postby buzz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:56 am

Strawburger wrote:
I know some road designers working on the project down there. It's a long shot but i can ask them if they know anything.
That would be great thanks.

bracko

Postby bracko » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:52 am

MichaelB wrote:

DETI is now DPTI... energy is on it's own and planning has been brought in. my suggestion of DIPT, was not well received around the office.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:54 pm

bracko wrote: DETI is now DPTI... energy is on it's own and planning has been brought in. my suggestion of DIPT, was not well received around the office.

:roll: More money wasted on stationary changes ...

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:21 pm

From the DTEI website
"a slightly realigned – in sections – Patrick Jonker Veloway and Bikeway to maximise rider experience and safety in light of a wider expressway"

And a PDF I downloaded from their website

"The land to the western (and northern) side of the expressway through Darlington and Bedford Park
was reserved by the State Government for the duplication at the time of Stage 1 and Stage 2
construction, in 1997 and 2001. The existing expressway was located as far east and south as
possible (south of Marion Road Bridge) to provide the maximum available space in the road reserve for
the future duplication.
Therefore, the new northbound carriageway will be constructed to the west of the existing expressway,
with the existing expressway becoming southbound travel only.
The alignment option from Seacombe Road through the escarpment to north of Majors Road has also
been revised. The first concept suggested building this section of the new carriageway to the east to
avoid the rock on the western side. However, feedback from construction contractors suggests there
are advantages in continuing the carriageway to the west through the escarpment, with access and
processing of the high-grade rock for the use in construction of the road. This shift also avoids building near the 2.1 metre diameter water pipe located in this area, and complex road matching between the
new and the existing carriageways."

and

"2.3.6 Pedestrian and cycling
At various locations along the expressway, the Veloway and Patrick Jonker (Shared) Pathway will
need to be modified to suit the new duplicated expressway. The most significant changes occur around
the Reynella Interchange where the Sea and Vines Pathway will be taken up and over the expressway
to match into the Patrick Jonker Pathway. This pathway will also be modified to allow the new
northbound on-ramp.
The expressway currently has many informal, unsealed pathways on the western side. Where
possible, these pathways will be preserved or relocated as part of the works. Opportunities to extend
or enhance these pathways will be investigated as part of the final design."

The project is due to run for several years (2012-2014) so for a hassle free ride to McLaren Vale better start getting used to riding through Clarendon, Blewitt Springs and Chapel Hill.
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:08 am

Dahondude wrote: The project is due to run for several years (2012-2014) so for a hassle free ride to McLaren Vale better start getting used to riding through Clarendon, Blewitt Springs and Chapel Hill.
Hmmmmm, bugger. Oh well, plenty of other places to ride :D