Stoves and Cookwear

rifraf

Re: Stoves and Cookwear

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:12 am

Max wrote:Oops, I think RonK just went fishing, and didn't rifraf take a bite at the bait! :lol:

It's interesting to read about the experiences people have had with different cooking gear. Keep the comments coming, guys :)

Max
The baits just cooked faster on an Optimus, though its a shame its nowhere as lite as most of the other offerings available. :wink:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:26 am

I've posted this earlier, but for trips of up to 10 days, you can't go past the MSR Pocket Rocket

2-3 of the 230g canisters will do for about 10 days. The Kovea ones are a lot cheaper than the MSR canisters. Great boiling times and excellent flame control for cooking, with no need for pressurising or priming.

I use the GSI Bugaboo teflon cookset with it. They have machined concentric heating groves on the base that hook onto the Pocket Rocket's pot supports to keep the pot very stable. The stove and accessories pack inside it (lined with Chux cloths and padded ot with cleaning cloths, to protect the teflon) and it all makes one pack the same size as a Trangia.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:44 pm

il padrone wrote:I've posted this earlier, but for trips of up to 10 days, you can't go past the MSR Pocket Rocket

2-3 of the 230g canisters will do for about 10 days. The Kovea ones are a lot cheaper than the MSR canisters. Great boiling times and excellent flame control for cooking, with no need for pressurising or priming.

I use the -bugaboo-non-stick-cook-set-medium with it. They have machined concentric heating groves on the base that hook onto the Pocket Rocket's pot supports to keep the pot very stable. The stove and accessories pack inside it (lined with Chux cloths and padded ot with cleaning cloths, to protect the teflon) and it all makes one pack the same size as a Trangia.
As I've said before thats a very nice looking potset IP.
What would your choice of stove be if you were buying new, buying once and without the means to change your mind for six months or more?
Due to what appears to be the easy availability of fuel (well here in NSW it is), was it weight only that made you move away from your 8R?
I found white spirits and shellite not easy to source in NZ but its at all the hardware stores in the town I'm in here.
I never went short of fuel in Northern Ireland as most houses seemed to have a huge central heating oil tank beside the house.
The 111C burnt this with aplomb. :D
Do you remember the price of the fuel canisters off the top of your head, for the pocket rocket?
I'll remember to write down Kovea so I can try to check out the local prices here and for the Rocket.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:11 pm

rifraf wrote:What would your choice of stove be if you were buying new, buying once and without the means to change your mind for six months or more?
Hmm... that's a very interesting question. It'd probably be a toss-up between the Pocket Rocket or the Trangia, mainly because of simpicity of start up and the one package with a pot set.

I believe there is a useful role for more than one stove however, to suit different types of travel - balancing weight, fuel availability, length of tour, area of tour etc.
rifraf wrote:Due to what appears to be the easy availability of fuel (well here in NSW it is), was it weight only that made you move away from your 8R?
I found white spirits and shellite not easy to source in NZ but its at all the hardware stores in the town I'm in here.
Yes, shellite has a generally fairly good availability, but meths is even better in most smaller town stores. A number of years back there was a trend to take shellite out of supermarkets and such - I think it was seen as too dangerous. That seems to no longer be the case. I stopped using the 8R when I bought the Trangia, way back in the mid-80s. The lower fuel volatility and the 'complete package' nature of it was what made me change.
rifraf wrote:Do you remember the price of the fuel canisters off the top of your head, for the pocket rocket?
The MSR canisters are about $12-13 each for their 230g ones. Last time I bought them the Kovea canisters were about $7, but that was 2-3 years ago now (for the past 2 years I've been using the old Trangia again). The canisters last for a 4 day tour for me - not cheap fuel but it is easy to use. For longer tours shellite or metho is cheaper and generally easier both to carry in the pannier and to source from country stores, one of the reasons I've gone back to the Trangia.

If you do buy this canister type of stove don't use the largest Kovea canisters (~450g). They don't seem to burn out to empty very efficiently in my experience. Also don't use the ordinary butane/propane canisters (Coleman, Primus) as they perform poorly when they are half full.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:21 pm

il padrone wrote:
rifraf wrote:What would your choice of stove be if you were buying new, buying once and without the means to change your mind for six months or more?
Hmm... that's a very interesting question. It'd probably be a toss-up between the Pocket Rocket or the Trangia, mainly because of simpicity of start up and the one package with a pot set.

I believe there is a useful role for more than one stove however, to suit different types of travel - balancing weight, fuel availability, length of tour, area of tour etc.
rifraf wrote:Due to what appears to be the easy availability of fuel (well here in NSW it is), was it weight only that made you move away from your 8R?
Yes, shellite has a generally fairly good availability, but meths is even better in most smaller town stores. A number of years back there was a trend to take shellite out of supermarkets and such - I think it was seen as too dangerous. That seems to no longer be the case. I stopped using the 8R when I bought the Trangia, way back in the mid-80s. The lower fuel volatility and the 'complete package' nature of it was what made me change.
rifraf wrote:Do you remember the price of the fuel canisters off the top of your head, for the pocket rocket?
The MSR canisters are about $12-13 each for their 230g ones. Last time I bought them the Kovea canisters were about $7, but that was 2-3 years ago now (for the past 2 years I've been using the old Trangia again). The canisters last for a 4 day tour for me - not cheap fuel but it is easy to use. For longer tours shellite or metho is cheaper and generally easier both to carry in the pannier and to source from country stores, one of the reasons I've gone back to the Trangia.

If you do buy this canister type of stove don't use the largest Kovea canisters (~450g). They don't seem to burn out to empty very efficiently in my experience. Also don't use the ordinary butane/propane canisters (Coleman, Primus) as they perform poorly when they are half full.
Thanks Pete,
some good tips and plenty of food for thought

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi

New stove and pot ordered today. I am getting a Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti Tri and a Evernew Titanium Ultra light 0.9 litre pot.

There is a review on the system here if interested.

Andrew
Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Nice buy Andrew I like the kit you got and the stove looks like my PackaFeather one. Hope you do one of your reviews on it for others to ponder if it will be there next upgrade.

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:17 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Nice buy Andrew I like the kit you got and the stove looks like my PackaFeather one. Hope you do one of your reviews on it for others to ponder if it will be there next upgrade.
Thanks and will do. I didn't realise you had a PackaFeather stove. How do you find it?

I did consider them last night but really couldn't find much in the way of reviews bar the one at CGOAB and I wasn't that convinced plus I needed a new pot anyway so going with the Sidewinder allowed me to get it all in one hit. Good reviews on it plus it can be used as a wood stove so hopefully it works out okay.

Oh also ordered via eBay a Light my Fire Fire Steel so no more playing with wet matches :)

Andrew
Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:35 am

Yeah Andrew I have the PackaFeather XL and I also have the MSR Whisperlite International the later being used when I have set-up for the night in most cases. I use the PF for the quick road side brews and the likes plus as a back up because as you know these type of stoves are real light hence why I'm happy to carry 2 stoves. Added to that Shellite isn't that easy to obtain out in the back blocks to use with the MSR and yes it is a multi fuel stove but who wants to be bothered changing the jets over so PF is my backup.

Out of all the stoves I looked at I decided on the PF because it had the largest base diameter which is larger than most for stability reasons. It's not the fastest boy on the block to boil water but the 6 inches of flame control knob that is used to adjust airflow is one of the main reasons I went down the PF path as you can have the windscreen in place and not fuss around you can control heat with real simplicity plus the simmer really is a treat to get that low heat going. The worm screw for heat control is super fast and smooth so no boil overs. I went with the PF XL model for one reason and that was the pot stand in my opinion is more stable for all size billies,mugs and pots then the FeatherFire model. The only bitch I have with the PF is the exhaust port is prone to being bent or bashed in if your not careful with packing it away but that is minor once you know this can happen and take measures to be careful.

I think you made the right move buying the pots as you did because you have quality on your side and if your not happy with the stove that is a cheap upgrade to something better for a similar style of stove if need be anyway. Not only that but your ready for burning wood if needed so the bases are covered.

Like you I also use a fire starter to light all my stoves or fires but I purchased a http://bear.gerberuk.com/gear/fire-starter/ 12 months back and I highly recommended this product it really does deliver the goods and cheap.

Look forward to your review on your new purchase and I reckon you mad a good choice.

Ricky

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:36 am

Aushiker wrote:New stove and pot ordered today. I am getting a Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti Tri and a Evernew Titanium Ultra light 0.9 litre pot.
I must be missing something - how do you fit the cone in the pot?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:32 pm

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:New stove and pot ordered today. I am getting a Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti Tri and a Evernew Titanium Ultra light 0.9 litre pot.
I must be missing something - how do you fit the cone in the pot?
Haven't got mine yet, so cannot be specific but it you go to the link, the first photo I believe should show it all packed in the pot. Might give you an idea.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi

My new cooking system has arrived; don't you love Christmas? Sunday deliveries :)

It consists of three parts:

Light My Fire FireSteel 2.0

Evernew 0.9 litre Titanium Pot

Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti Tri Cooking System

More photos in the Picasa album.

Andrew
Andrew

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Humm, titanium pot, hunh?

I found mine was too thin and couldn't distribute the heat properly leaving things to get burned. I went back to one of those hardened aluminium ones.

Maybe it was just my cooking. Then again it is a common enough issue.

Looking forward to the field report on how it, ie, you, perform.

Cheers

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:39 pm

GJ_Coop wrote:Humm, titanium pot, hunh?

I found mine was too thin and couldn't distribute the heat properly leaving things to get burned. I went back to one of those hardened aluminium ones.

Maybe it was just my cooking. Then again it is a common enough issue.

Looking forward to the field report on how it, ie, you, perform.

Cheers
I have the exact same one as Andrew got. The evernew 0.9l Loved it on my 14 day tour. Cooked things beautifully and didn't slip off stove either.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:02 pm

GJ_Coop wrote:Humm, titanium pot, hunh?

What was your heat source? On the box (not with me) it says something about medium heat. I suspect the alcohol stove will not be that hot as to be an issue, but will find out as you suggest soon enough.

Andrew
Andrew

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Yeah, I guess that Whisperlite (flamethrower) running on unleaded petrol puts out some energy.

I think gas burners would give the same result.

They tell me meths is the way.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:49 pm

GJ_Coop wrote:Yeah, I guess that Whisperlite (flamethrower) running on unleaded petrol puts out some energy. .
I am surprised you didn't blow a hole in the pot :)

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:I think I mentioned in an earlier post needing a new alcohol nipple and some perforated burner caps for
my Optimus 111C stove.
Well Da Daaaah (Cymbol clash) Just bought both via the same seller on ebay - good price too! :D
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270832796599 ... 1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280743921782 ... 1439.l2649
I'd forgotten the nipple somewhere in NZ and the caps on my stove are approx 15 years old and paper thin from
oxidisation from usage.
I'm a happy camper! :D
Mate, the amount you are spending on that thing, you could afford to get a modern hip stove :)

Andrew
Well the new burner perforated flame spreading burner caps and alcohol nipple/jet arrived late last week.
Today was pretty wet here so I spent some time adding the new additions to my stove.
After some initial problems with the nipple cleaning needle falling out and needing some web searching to determine
the correct procedure to restore it to the desired height, twas all done and I was able to give it a test run using my two cup/1 mug
stove top expresso maker - face it, one cup of coffee just isnt enough.
Short story expanded and then edited to make short - working great!!!!
The benefit of the alcohol nipple is that I now only have to muck about with the one fuel.
That of course being meths and the same fuel as the Trangia instead of alcohol (to prime) and kero (my usual choice).
The kero in NZ was much cheaper than the meths so thats what I used there but over here of course its the metho thats least expensive.
The results of a fuel spill with the meths is much more pleasant to deal with long term than the lingering, all pervading smell of kerosene
on clothing or camping gear. I managed to pick up 3x1 litre bottles of metho from a shop called Go-Low for $9.00 which was a pleasant
surprise to my lately much punished wallet.
Whats left of my kero will go towards keeping my chain cleanish in the dusty locale I currently reside.
I'll try to remember to take a pic of my cooker in action tomorrow as I wait for my surprisingly pleasant budget Aldi coffee
to perk. :D :D :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:43 pm

I delated this post from the tent thread as I found myself a little off topic and on tangent :oops:

Anyway.....
Just adding for anyone else with an Optimus stove.
There is now nipples available on ebay to allow you to run alcohol (meths/isopropal etc).
You will need the optional pump on your stove as alcohol is not as volatile as white spirits so
like kero it needs to be pressurised with the aid of a pump to keep it going.
For some models you once needed the addition of a restricter to run alcohol as well as a nipple.
This may no longer be so as the newly available jet/nipple is made in such a way as to not need the
restricter. They are noisier than the kero jet by a large margin but not quite to the degree of the
roarer burner. I imagine those used to the roarer (8r, Svea etc.) wont notice the difference.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0851111060 or there is the:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Optimus-Alco ... 3f0f55bfba
but the second option I think will need the restricter - ask before you buy is my advice.
Hope this helps someone :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi

Just read about this stove at CGOAB. Thought it might interest someone :)

It is called the BRS-8 Multi-Fuel Functional Oil/Gas Stove.

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:46 pm

What do you guys do to contain those type of stoves?
I mean pack them away when you've finished.
I hate soot and food offerings in my pack or panniers which is one
of the reasons I love the Optimus stoves so much.
Snap the lid down until you can be bothered and forget.
Looks like lots of sharp edges to perforate a cloth bag.......
Tell me your tricks Andrew and Co. :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:18 pm

First part of the answer is usually the stuff sack they pack in.

As well as that the pot supports all fold in and I gess you could use an elastic band or strap to hold them in together. Most people then pack it into their pot-set.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:55 am

Not sure what to make of this one ... Cook dinner while charging your phone!

It is called the BioLite Stove. It is a wood burning stove which uses the heat to generate electricity. Details here.

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:46 am

Aushiker wrote:Not sure what to make of this one ... Cook dinner while charging your phone!

It is called the BioLite Stove. It is a wood burning stove which uses the heat to generate electricity. Details here.

Andrew
Almost an extra kg weight compared to a dynamo charger. Seems like unnecessary weight to me if you have a dynamo charging system, or solar system.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:54 am

Baalzamon wrote:Almost an extra kg weight compared to a dynamo charger. Seems like unnecessary weight to me if you have a dynamo charging system, or solar system.
Good point. I hadn't looked that closely into it so missed that. Also it seems that it uses the generated electricity to run the fan with any surplus then being used for charging. Could be a slow burn so to speak.

Andrew
Andrew