Tour De Tamborine 2011

hosko

Tour De Tamborine 2011

Postby hosko » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Well this one really in in my neck of the woods!

The tour this year is set for the 20th November. Not a lot of information on their website as yet as there is still a while to go, however this one should be good for those who want to do some nice climbing and see some of SE Qld beauty.

There are also Run and Walk events on the day for those who don't want to ride.

My wife was the one who pointed this one out. Apparently she had an issue with me doing the GC100 but no issues in watching me suffer this one :?:

Facebook = TheTourdeTamborine
www.tourdetamborine.com.au

Have never ridden Tamborine, will have to get some practice in and do it soon I think! :D
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

heay

Re: Tour De Tamborine 2011

Postby heay » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:59 pm

Great event which I did last year. The decent down the goat track is an eye opener :shock: . I sent an email to the people whom run the event last year saying how much I enjoyed it and could they put timing chips in just to get times for the climb. Response was they looked at it and were willing to do it as well as looking at putting into the mix also a 75 or 100km option for this year. The climbs sorts those out in the 50km so I would love to see what it will do in a longer ride.

I will be doing this one again. :D

hosko

Postby hosko » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:17 pm

I think from the card my wife picked up about this there is a 76km, 26km and 5km bike ride.

Guessing the 5km is for the kids.

hosko

Postby hosko » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:21 am

The event is now open for registration and according to their facebook page, timing devices will be used this year!

Also if you have family who want to also have some fun on the day, it's not just for the cyclists:

Cycling Events
76km, 26km and 5km Sprint

Running Events
5km, 10km and 15km

Walking Events
5km, 10km and 15km

heay

Postby heay » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:28 am

I'm in :D .

Hosko what distance are you doing? The climb is not that bad only the first half has the steeper parts but when you get to Thunder bird park is levels out a fair bit and you can throw it up a couple of gears.

hosko

Postby hosko » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:31 am

76km will be what I do. Don't think any of the other distances include the climb.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Just looking at the website and seems they have updated some info, including more details about the timing...

from Event Info page
Timing Devices this year!
This year, cycling participants will be able to use our digital timing devices, to time their cycle.
With limited numbers for our timing devices, be sure to register online early - and on the day be sure to check in early to snap up one of our digital timing devices. Remember - Tour de Tamborine is not a race, but a fun and friendly cycle, run and walk event.

First in Best Dressed!
500 time pieces (Cyclists only - pickup your timing device on the day)
Timed distance within the event >
6.6 km total - 430 m elevation within this distance.
So, only 500 timing pieces (may be plenty, I don't know how many entries they are expecting, and only timing a 6.6km section. I get the feeling this could be an insurance thing, to prevent "racing" on the DH sections, by only timing a section that is predominantly a climb.

I'm gonna be away for 11 days from 4/11 - 14/11 without access to a bike, and while my bike fitness is improving greatly, I'm not sure going into this with effectively two weeks off the bike is the best idea! (Would be my biggest climb to date!).
I currently plan on having a crack at the climb in about two weeks, then making my decision of entering as late as possible.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

heay

Postby heay » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:05 pm

ozdavo wrote:Just looking at the website and seems they have updated some info, including more details about the timing...

[url=<A class=vglnk title="Link added by VigLink" href="http://www.tourdetamborine.com.au/event_info.html]from" rel=nofollow target=_blank vglnk_1318392029677="1">http://www.tourdetamborine.com.au/event_info.html]from</A> Event Info page[/url]
Timing Devices this year!
This year, cycling participants will be able to use our digital timing devices, to time their cycle.
With limited numbers for our timing devices, be sure to register online early - and on the day be sure to check in early to snap up one of our digital timing devices. Remember - Tour de Tamborine is not a race, but a fun and friendly cycle, run and walk event.

First in Best Dressed!
500 time pieces (Cyclists only - pickup your timing device on the day)
Timed distance within the event >
6.6 km total - 430 m elevation within this distance.
Pretty sure they had more than 500 last year that did the ride (but that was total over 2 events). As for the DH section (goat track) the gus at the front where controlled by the police, but if you stay back a little at the start you have free access to go the speed you want as long as people do not get in your way. I will not care if I get one or not I will use my garmin which will tell me everything when I get home.

So, only 500 timing pieces (may be plenty, I don't know how many entries they are expecting, and only timing a 6.6km section. I get the feeling this could be an insurance thing, to prevent "racing" on the DH sections, by only timing a section that is predominantly a climb.

I'm gonna be away for 11 days from 4/11 - 14/11 without access to a bike, and while my bike fitness is improving greatly, I'm not sure going into this with effectively two weeks off the bike is the best idea! (Would be my biggest climb to date!).
I currently plan on having a crack at the climb in about two weeks, then making my decision of entering as late as possible.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:01 pm

Am thinking about it.
The climb is quite civilized as climbs go but that descent is very hairy.
Some savage gradients, narrow road and sharp hairpins.
Then a T intersection before the last section of descent into Canungra.
If it is wet or cold bring a MTB :shock:

notwal

Postby notwal » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:20 am

I think I'll have a go at that one. A timed climb sounds like fun.

Its a week after the Rainbow ride. I'd like to do do that too, I think - not sure.
judged, insulted, gone

heay

Postby heay » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:17 am

elantra wrote:Am thinking about it.
May I ask why a MTB if it is cold or wet?

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:45 pm

heay wrote:
If you slide off the road on a hairpin you might be able to continue through the bush :(
And then i will be able to catch you on the flats with my roadie.

heay

Postby heay » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:56 pm

elantra wrote:
heay wrote:
If you slide off the road on a hairpin you might be able to continue through the bush :(
And then i will be able to catch you on the flats with my roadie.
:mrgreen: Elantra you know the course very well in detail as above that if you come off it's into a guard rail and over a ledge, don't think you will be getting back on your bike to chase anyone down after that.

If there are any BNA noobies doing this event take the decent easy as you can over commit on the goat track and make sure your brakes are working. :shock:

dobby

Postby dobby » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:48 pm

The descent from Tamborine to Canungra would not be suitable for full carbon clinchers IMHO

marsbe

Postby marsbe » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:31 pm

How does this course look for difficulty? Seems fairly tough to me..

hosko

Postby hosko » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:34 pm

If you have ever ridden Beachmont/O'Reillys then you will be able to do this one.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Had a great time doing this one today, the goat track to Canungra was IMO inappropriate for a charity ride, not because of the hairpins (which were actually quite enjoyable, but the serious gradient and very dodgy surface in the upper sections (lost my only water bottle on a bump i couldn't avoid right near the top). Myself and 3 riders i spoke to were also a little annoyed that the 76k distance was made up by doing what felt like pointless loops around Tamborine township, especially as by that stage the traffic was starting to get up quite a bit.

That aside, i thought it was pretty well organised (though the signage could have been clearer), all the marshalls were fantastic and the climb was an absolute ripper. Trim a bit of fat from the end of the route (or make the distance up with another climb/different route through the valley if there is one), sort the dangerous surface on the descent and it would be perfect. Will be back next year for sure.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

heay

Postby heay » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:15 am

Maybe they could go backwards next year?

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:09 pm

heay wrote:Maybe they could go backwards next year?
no i prefer it like it was yesterday.
a fantastic event.
yes maybe by the time we got back up onto the plateau there was quite a bit of motorised traffic.
the descent is awesome and the ascent even better.
an obligatory event for 2012 and almost the best event of 2011 (well for me and also a few of the other cyclists i spoke to after)

A_P

Postby A_P » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 pm

+1 elantra, who would want to miss the chance to bomb down these corners!