Cool stories...

stryker84

Cool stories...

Postby stryker84 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:34 am

Some of you might remember me mentioning a mate of mine has a Mercian roadie his dad passed on to him? Tis just a beauty (I've already asked him for first dibs on it if he ever wants to sell!)... well was just catching up with him and some others at the pub today...

1) Well turns out that the dad bought it in England (it's only recently been shipped over when my pal went back to visit), where they still live (his parents) when he was 18 - the dad, not me mate. That makes the bike at least 40 years, nearly 50 years old, or so, since my friend is late 20s? And still looking in immaculate condition , so good you could slap some fancy modern gear onto it, respace the wheels and the only giveaway would be the downtube braze-ons for the shifters and the Nervex lugs (with stunning linework!)...

2) And he also ended up telling me how the LBS mechanic he serviced it at has already made an offer as well, and when he got it serviced, LBS guy also mentioned that he's only seen 2 other Mercians around town... Well, right after my mat told me this, what do we happen to walk past? One of the other Mercians, just locked to a roadside post.

... in other (totally un-Retro-related) breaking news, another mate came with a cool story today - on the way to the pub he'd seen some "weird lying down bike", with the "pedals in front of the front wheel" ;)

Cheers :)

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:48 am

Why on earth would you want to defile a beautiful thing like the Mercian by fitting it with modern componentry?
If something is needed to hang newer bits on then allow me to suggest something salvaged from the side of the road. There seem to be some good finds lately.

There is NOTHING wrong with top quality components from the time when the frame was new & rebuilding the original components, or better quality components that are period correct, will ensure that it either retains its value or even appreciates over the coming years. Besides, it's one of only three in town.

Few things short of a dramatic crash will ruin a lovely, complete, original, rare & rideable lightweight classic faster than bastardising it with newer stuff un-necessarily.

Well, ... that's my view anyway.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:50 am

Um, didnt say I would. In fact, I'm off your view, I'd ride the bike "as is" (well, if I were lucky enough to convince him to sell). Was just to illustrate the point, this is a 40-50 yo frame, yet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and something custom built brand new, it's been kept in such good nick. Not even paint fade/chips/anything. It might have gotten a new coat or some touch up over the years, but if so, it's been well done, there's no sign of it. :)

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:35 am

I always enjoy watching peoples faces when they view an older bike & they realise that the whiz bang technology on their ride that they assume is of recent origin was in fact well developed & almost old-hat before they were born.

Lightweight steel frames [mid 30's], singles tyres [20's], alloy components like one piece hubs, cramksets & chainwheels, brakes, etc, etc. [mid 30's] derailleurs [pre 1905] Cartrige bearings [40's] cassette type hubs [1930's] quality tensioned leather saddles [bronze age, well, OK, 1800's]
What's even better is that when it's all working the way it was supposed to when new, most of it not only works as well as new stuff, but, going by some of the posts here, it does so more reliably & for much longer too.

There's many a good ride left in an older bicycle & one should ride with pride.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:06 am

Kid_Carbine wrote:...quality tensioned leather saddles...
Oh yeah, did I mention it looked like a Brooks on it? Not sure which model (I'm not v familiar w saddles) might've been a B17. ;)

Iain Williams

Postby Iain Williams » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:47 pm

interesting