Any climbing groups in the brisbane area?

Le Velo

Any climbing groups in the brisbane area?

Postby Le Velo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Wondering if there is a climbing cyclist group in the Brisbane area?
I have been doing a lot of riding and looking to extend to some climbs but not so fun on your own as most of the guys I ride with are mostly fast also but always decline a proposed ride that involves a climb ..... They won't even do Coot-tha :shock: :shock:
If there is such group out there let me know where to find them so I can tag along to one of their rides at least once a week to mix it up with other ride schedules I do .... Cheers :D

Comedian

Re: Any climbing groups in the brisbane area?

Postby Comedian » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:25 pm

I've never heard of any groups devoted to climbing. Thing is with climbing it's a bit different to normal group rides. It's kind of something that you have to do on your own. Most people climb at different speeds and it's fairly intense usually so there isn't usually a lot of chatting. :mrgreen:

I can say thought if you do Cootha it's unlikely you'll be doing it on your own. On the weekends there are always people out there and Tuesday and Thursday are the big days mid week.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks Comedian, I see your point. I actually met the GC climbers which is purely dedicated to climbing rides and do go to the Hinterland and thought maybe there would be a similar type of group around here in Brisbane.
I do Coot-tha every now and then on my own which I don't mind at all and as you said there are always plenty of other cyclist around there, I was more thinking rides such as Nebo, glorious, etc..... which I riden motobikes on but can't seem to find anyone willing to do such rides as all the guys I ride with are all flat and fast types .... I know climbing can be tough and am not the best climber of all and understand it can be just as a mental and physical thing at but thought that there would be enough people out there keen enough to do such rides.
I'll try to sus out a few different riding groups schedules and see what's out there ...... Cheers

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:44 pm

Comedian wrote:On the weekends there are always people out there and Tuesday and Thursday are the big days mid week.
Plenty of rabbits out this morning too :D

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:32 pm

Grand Colombier looked good in the distance today...looks small with Mont Blanc straight behind it looking from my region...but bet you can't wait to get up there next year!
You think you need some practice before getting home? :lol: .

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:15 am

What side of town are you on?

The River City Bunch rides Wednesdays and Fridays, and every Wednesday ride includes plenty of climbing.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:37 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Grand Colombier looked good in the distance today...looks small with Mont Blanc straight behind it looking from my region...but bet you can't wait to get up there next year!
You think you need some practice before getting home? :lol: .
Hi Toolonglegs, now you are talking ! Looks like the grand colombier is a goer for the tour next year as they are going through it till Bellegarde ..... mum and dad are in Seyssel not far from there so yep, I'll be bringing the bike for sure ..... (Maybe a 12-29 cassette would be in order tho :D )
Practise makes perfect they say ...

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:38 pm

uncle arthur wrote:What side of town are you on?

The River City Bunch rides Wednesdays and Fridays, and every Wednesday ride includes plenty of climbing.
What time is wednesday meet? How long? Where? Infos please :)

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:47 am

Le Velo wrote: I actually met the GC climbers which is purely dedicated to climbing rides and do go to the Hinterland
where does one find/contact this group? Sounds like fun :twisted: , painful fun :shock:
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

ozdavo wrote:
Le Velo wrote: I actually met the GC climbers which is purely dedicated to climbing rides and do go to the Hinterland
where does one find/contact this group? Sounds like fun :twisted: , painful fun :shock:
Look up GC climbers on Facebook and voila ...... They are pretty hardcore riders and very competitive and enjoy organizing some uphill TT :shock:

notwal

Postby notwal » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:54 am

Is that GC as in 'Gold Coast' or 'General Classification'? Could be serious. :lol:
judged, insulted, gone