Where do you commute from to

dino_onabike1969

Re: Where do you commute from to

Postby dino_onabike1969 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi guys,

daily commute to Nedlands/Crawley [ UWA campus] from Success/Cockburn via Kwinana PSP ...54km round trip commute :D been riding for 12 months and loving it!teh ride is awesome but am learning to respect those afternoon headwinds! i ride a Giant TCR 2 composite...see you out there!
Giant TCR 2 Composite 2011

BPT

Postby BPT » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Dural to the City via the North Shore...

Old Northern Rd - New Line-Boundary-Pennant Hills -Commenara- Fox Valley- Pacific Highway to Gordon then with the Easy Riders to the city.

Return...any which way...just working through the options...probably via Epping Rd and M2 goat track. Old Castle Hill Rd - Old Northern...
I think therefore I ride

joomz

Postby joomz » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:06 pm

BPT wrote:Dural to the City via the North Shore...

Old Northern Rd - New Line-Boundary-Pennant Hills -Commenara- Fox Valley- Pacific Highway to Gordon then with the Easy Riders to the city.

Return...any which way...just working through the options...probably via Epping Rd and M2 goat track. Old Castle Hill Rd - Old Northern...
That is quite a distance before starting work! Worthy of an afternoon desk nap? What are the roads like? might make a trip of it one weekend

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:02 am

Aushiker wrote:
elStado wrote:... but the last 4km is along a busy multilane road with no cycle facilities. Won't be very fun to ride on with a flat bar urban bike.
What road are you referring to? There may be other options.
Stirling Hwy, after the western shared paths ends just after UWA.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=mounts ... a&t=h&z=17
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:45 pm

elstado, I do 10km each way pretty easily on an entry-level fat hybrid and I doubt my fitness is much above average.

Looking at that map, going around Hackett Drive past RPYC and then feeding into Princess Rd at the back of the U-dub campus looks reasonably direct and no doubt less harrowing than Stirling, have you checked that out?
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Lizzy wrote:Looking at that map, going around Hackett Drive past RPYC and then feeding into Princess Rd at the back of the U-dub campus looks reasonably direct and no doubt less harrowing than Stirling, have you checked that out?
Yep, that is one good option. The other is take the underpass at UWA and come up the northern side of Stirling Highway. The Fremantle PSP is one option for starters.

Andrew

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:08 pm

Lizzy wrote:elstado, I do 10km each way pretty easily on an entry-level fat hybrid and I doubt my fitness is much above average.

Looking at that map, going around Hackett Drive past RPYC and then feeding into Princess Rd at the back of the U-dub campus looks reasonably direct and no doubt less harrowing than Stirling, have you checked that out?
Yeah I just had a look on Google and compared it with the (now outdated but still useful) cycle path map and it seems like this is the best way.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Kw ... 2&t=h&z=14

Although it adds an extra ~1.5km to the journey, ~16.2KM all up each way. Better than risking my life battling with cars on Stirling Hwy in peak hour traffic.

Doing this ride twice a day, 4-5 times a week on a heavy flat bar and loaded pannier bags over summer will keep my legs strong that's for sure. Still better (and probably faster) that taking the train.

The other way that Andrew suggested is the same length. So I guess I can try out both ways (if I get the job) and see what is easier and more enjoyable.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Kw ... 1&t=h&z=14
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:39 am

As often as the legs permit I commute from Redcliffe to Wooloowin (71 kms return). When the legs aren't up to it or there are strong adverse winds from Redcliffe to Deagon (30 kms return).
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Just started again 2 weeks ago after 6 months of achilles recovery but the usual day is...

AM Bike from East Gosford - Gosford station then a train to Artarmon then bike again from Artarmon - Lane Cove.

PM Bike from Lane Cove - Artarmon then train to Woy Woy then bike from Woy Woy - East Gosford (to get 12 to 13 km extra in).

BUT I was doing one afternoon a week bike to Artarmon then train to Berowra and then bike from Berowra - East Gosford (for a hilly 50) I'll start this up again soon when my bike legs return properly.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

giantguy

Postby giantguy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:39 pm

Perth..

Heathridge to Wangara mostly on psp Several different ways I go to add some interest. Usually around 5:45am and return 3:15pm most days.