steel frames - Adelaide

bracko

steel frames - Adelaide

Postby bracko » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi all,

apart from hard rubbish, does anyone know where to acquire second hand steel road frames (I'm 54cm azzurri frame)? Riding to work, I'm not seeming to need any gears, or more than 2 at best, so I'm considering as a little side project building my own SS bike (please be kind, I'm not an arts student, nor do i wear tight jeans)

there is a bike which is basically what I want for (I think) $500 in a norwood bike store on the parade, but i think I'd rather build it.

MichaelB

Re: steel frames - Adelaide

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Keep searching, they come up.

One thing though is that if you do it yourself, it is really easy to go over the $500.

I have some alloy drop bars and a leather coloured seat to start you off !!! Look in the market place , and I'm in Adelaide to boot !!

zephy

Postby zephy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:50 pm

another good place is gumtree.com.au lots of older bikes (search for brands; repco, ricardo, standish etc) for less than $100 or so that you can spend some time and $$ on.... garage sales are good also....

Just an ol' man, riding an ol' bike.... every hill feels like Alpe d'Heuz....

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi Bracko
Up to when we moved from SA about 2 years ago there was a recycle yard up at Nixon Mill between Hahndorf and Littlehampton. Sometimes they had an assortment of old bikes in different states of repair. The fella running the joint seemed to have an idea if he had something decent and would price it accordingly, but he was open to a little bit of bargaining down.
Rob.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:58 pm

go have a look at the Ricardo frame in the for sale section RIGHT NOW!

no relation to seller et al

bracko

Postby bracko » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:05 pm

^^ thanks, he actually PM'd me as well. cheers for the other suggestions guys.

yeah, I'm aware that building one from scratch could send me over $500, but I think I'd rather keep this as a side thing to work on over the next couple of months and keep riding my old alloy road bike to work... unfortunately my work just doesn't have the security to keep my spanking new road bike :(

if i was desperate and wanted to spend as little as possible, I'd just buy the Cell fixie and a flip flop rear hub

alex

Postby alex » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:45 am

ive got a ken evans you might be interested in

54x54 frame

columbus cromor, original paint, suntour superbe groupset inc stem... brand new turbo saddle & schwalbe tyres

i was looking for 350 for it but ive since spent another about 150 on it for some reason... would like to get some of that back if i sell it

my plan was to repaint it (have matching decals ready) and tidy it all up but ive lost motivation

with a set of cables and some bar tape it will be good to go and would make a nice commuter
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

bracko

Postby bracko » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:53 pm

just to close the loop, I've purchased a second hand paconi bike which is possibly slightly too big, but perfect for my needs :) I will send the frame number off this week to the builder so he can hopefully get back to me with the tubing brand (I think I've read they either use Reynolds or columbus??)

all that's needed is some handlebar tape and most likely I'll swap the pedals out (they're normal pedals, I'll probably swap them out off my old road bike)

I'll post a pic when she's ready to ride.

many thanks to those that posed.

RoadToad

Postby RoadToad » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 am

alex wrote:ive got a ken evans you might be interested in

54x54 frame

columbus cromor, original paint, suntour superbe groupset inc stem... brand new turbo saddle & schwalbe tyres

i was looking for 350 for it but ive since spent another about 150 on it for some reason... would like to get some of that back if i sell it

my plan was to repaint it (have matching decals ready) and tidy it all up but ive lost motivation

with a set of cables and some bar tape it will be good to go and would make a nice commuter

Hey Alex

I am interested in that bike for sure - is it still for sale?

Cheers.

alex

Postby alex » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:32 am

nope, did a resto on it and its now in melbourne
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.