Pothole Amy's ride

Re: Pothole Amy's ride

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:03 am

Nice 1st post & welcome.

Have no issue with it not being good, and something could have been done, but sometimes, crap happens. My original advice still stands.

Life aint fair sometimes. My boss is in the final stages of losing his battle with cancer and has a wife and 2 young kids. My Mum is also losing her battle with cancer and is in hospital at the moment. A broken wheel is a minor thing in the whole scheme of life.

Deal with it and move on.

Safe riding :D
MichaelB

by BNA » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:57 am

BNA

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:57 am

arknotnoahs wrote:I must say, overall I am disappointed with the lack of support from fellow cyclists on this,

I don't think anyone wants to see property damaged nor riders injured in anyway but for me I'm sick of the folks in this world passing blaming for everything and not standing up and owning it themselves in all manner of situations we face in our life. I bet no one in that 3000 rider pack ever gave it a thought to stop there ride and stand near that pothole warning others of the danger or even one of the good folk that wrecked there bike stood around after to help be the warning system. Crap happens in life so get over it and move on and stop blaming others no wonder we are loosing so many events or fun times we used to have because the cost of insurance and possible litigation which now seems the norm.

Sue the council and organisers then it will be another event taken from the calendar like so many other events that have been removed due to such trivial BS. Litigation and the need for insurance is what makes so many great things in life no longer available to the public because of those few cry babies that can't stand up and take responsibility for there own actions. (I surprised that the 3000 odd riders haven't been counselled over this tragic pothole event) Suck it up and toughen up.........

Ricky
}SkOrPn--7

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:30 pm

arknotnoahs wrote:Hate to deactivate the original thread, but only just got around to reading up on it. I must say, overall I am disappointed with the lack of support from fellow cyclists on this, and statements like withdrawing sympathy after other valid points raised. I was right next to a person in a pack when they hit the pot hole, and there was nothing they could do. So either it is expected that a group of 3000 people are going to ride not in packs, and anyone who thinks that is likely not to have sufficient IQ to read anyway so won't see this forum, or if accepting that 3000 riders will be riding in large groups and therefore will be unable to see dangerous pothole, then come on people, surely this is not acceptable. Especially ironic in a ride promoting rider safety! It should not have been there, and when I pulled over I saw many people with very expensive wheels broken, or pinched tubulars unable to be fixed on the road. Simply unacceptable for an event like that, and very dangerous, it was just sheer luck a whole pack wasn't brought down, or maybe it was and we just haven't heard about it. Any of the people saying eyes up and things like that I hope to god have nothing to do with oh&s in your workplace..... Hard to imagine how not in support of riders who had no chance to see an avoid a shocking pothole that should never have been allowed to be there. Good luck all those affected against the council, if enough of you keep pursuing it may force them to come to some sense, and good luck to those not in support, I hope you have better thoughts about things in the future.

I disagree with a fair bit of this. On a community ride on public roads then the onus is on the rider to ride according to the road rules, ie keep a safe distance.
If a rider chooses to ride in a pack with a group of strangers then they take a risk in doing so.
If a rider rides in a pack with riders he is familiar with, then I would expect the lead rider to call out "pothole" and the rest of the group to relay that down the line.
Why riders continually jump on the back of riders/packs they are unfamiliar with on these larger community rides often amazes me. I see lots of very ordinary riding in these "groups" and can't keep far enough away from them if I'm honest.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:18 am

I'm with you Sirrus. Whilst it would be nice if all roads were 100% it ain't going to happen. So when riding with unfamiliar groups take care. I almost hit the same hole. I was in a big group and there was zero signalling of the hazard so I simply put myself at the front of the group and stayed there so I could see for myself. Sorry for those with damaged bikes but it could happen anywhere, anytime.
Certified Brand Snob
Daccordi Rider

Postby alex » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:51 pm

this is the exact reason a lot of keen riders don't do these 'community' type rides

i personally prefer to avoid the huge groups of what appear to be people who have not spent much time riding in bunches so i avoid amy's ride, challenge tour etc

that said, i have gone straight into some massive pot holes while on rides with people that i know - nobody is perfect
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:27 pm

alex wrote:this is the exact reason a lot of keen riders don't do these 'community' type rides

i personally prefer to avoid the huge groups of what appear to be people who have not spent much time riding in bunches so i avoid amy's ride, challenge tour etc

that said, i have gone straight into some massive pot holes while on rides with people that i know - nobody is perfect

Amy's and RLC are about as big as I am comfortable with.

The TdU ride is just too big and roads are narrow/not closed at the beginning, so is a nightmare for traffic.
MichaelB

Previous

Return to South Australia