Opperman Gran Fondo-- 160km

EvandalePF

Re: Opperman Gran Fondo-- 160km

Postby EvandalePF » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:18 pm

I'm a bit shocked by that 2700 number too. Of the 600 who did Sally's ride last week, there were only 55 (I think) doing the 140km and about 150 in the 94km. So 2500 160km capable cyclists either took the weekend off or arrived in town during the week. :shock:

And some more details about the course gleaned from Sally's ride last week... the handbook mentions a short section of unsealed road but I couldn't work out where they meant. Turns out they mean the gravel road that goes underneath the Batman Bridge, which was offered as an option on Sunday for people who didn't want to do the Sidmouth 'climb'.

So that is good because it means no Sidmouth descent, but I am not too keen on having to take the gravel option, especially in a large group.

Anyhow, am obviously excited about Saturday. Had a good solid ride on Sunday and so am feeling fairly confident in my fitness.

See you all on the road. :D

Releng

Postby Releng » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:19 pm

According to USM Events there are 302 entered as of this morning.
They are happy with the number, and it should go higher entries are open up until the start of the ride.

The hot tip is that Mat Goss will be doing the 160K for a warm up for the Crit in Lonnie on Saturday night.

You flash Southerners should come up and show us how to climb hills.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Releng, we shyould meet up, do you race up North or ride with any of the clubs? Im a regular at the crits and road races and known at the Dads Army ride on Sunday's.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:38 pm

Releng wrote:You flash Southerners should come up and show us how to climb hills.
Ha, just got back from a lunch ride with my bunch. We had a guest, a certain Cam Wurf, who showed us what hill climbing really is... /shattered-legs

I'll be there on Saturday but I'll probably need training wheels to stay upright.
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:43 pm

RobRollin wrote:I was told today, 2700 people have registered for the Fondo on Saturday!
Cross that source out of your little black book Rob.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:55 pm

mcdurdin wrote: Ha, just got back from a lunch ride with my bunch. We had a guest, a certain Cam Wurf, who showed us what hill climbing really is... /shattered-legs
That's awesome.

Ulpoaded to strava yet? EDIT; just logged onto strava then, its there haha.

Guessing you went up Strickland? Was Andrew Crawley's record in danger?

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:02 pm

doggatas wrote:Guessing you went up Strickland? Was Andrew Crawley's record in danger?
I sat up after the bridge (see my time from Brewery-Bridge... :shock: ), I could probably have hung on a little longer if I was really motivated but today I wasn't. Cam's time was about 7:37 from the bridge to the top but I think he was just cruising up!

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Yeh I noticed your KOM on strava from Brewery-Bridge, over 1400 VAM.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:17 pm

master6 wrote: Cross that source out of your little black book Rob.
it would seem so....and it was from the Wed bunch! :twisted: :)

skull

Postby skull » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:58 pm

RobRollin wrote:
See that would be your problem then, that wed bunch are old and senile. I mean they think they are holding a sunday race with the vets and well one it is actually wed and two the vets is no more.
Last edited by skull on Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:23 pm

RobRollin wrote:
master6 wrote: Cross that source out of your little black book Rob.
Thats the trouble with the world today; the young people suffer attention disability.

In the thread "Wednesday Richmond Ride", I gave you this advice on 15/11/11:-
"In keeping with Wednesday tradition, at least 50% of anything you hear will be BS.".

You were warned :D :D

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:26 pm

skull wrote:
RobRollin wrote:
See that would be your problem then, that wed bunch are old and senile. I mean they think they are holding a sunday race with the vet and well one it is actually wed and two the vets is no more.
I can see why there might be some confusion here skull. It all revolves around the number "11".

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm

weather for saturday isnt looking very nice :shock: :cry:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/tas/centr ... d-forecast
Felt AR2

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Considering how nice it will be tomorrow im tempted to just go up and ride the bloody course and come home saturday.

So disappointed with the forcast, I cant believe the luck.

Between the non refundable $90 entry. Same again for the jersey. Plus accom. deposit I cant stand to waste that much cash! So I'm going, despite how much I hate riding in the rain :roll: The tightarse trumps the fairweather roadie in me :lol:

So now it has gone from a nice, pleasant long ride at a solid pace[for me] To a road grime spitting,bike grinding sufferfest :twisted: If my good bike was not so much nicer/smoother/faster to ride I'd leave it at home and just take the old one :?

Say gday if you see me. I'll be the bloke swearing, a lot.

skull

Postby skull » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:02 pm

Yeah I too am sad about the forecast. I am also bringing out the race wheels for the event.

Releng

Postby Releng » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:58 pm

RobRollin wrote:Releng, we shyould meet up, do you race up North or ride with any of the clubs? Im a regular at the crits and road races and known at the Dads Army ride on Sunday's.
Yes, happy to say hello.
I will be on a Fuji SL1, sucking wheels and struggling up the hills.
I am just in the middle of the Lonnie Pro ex, 360K and over 4000M climbing in the last 4 days, and am feeling the effects.

I race with the vets when I get a chance, usually waving at the army on my way to the race on a Sunday morning.

Pity about the weather. Gives the Southerners an unfair advantage, as you blokes must be used to crap weather.
With a bit of luck it will arrive a bit later than forecast. Blowing in from the NE at least it should not be too cold.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:19 am

Baldy I too have considered taking my wet weather bike, but......The Prince is silky smooth to ride, Ill have the race wheels, race rubber and a coat!! Im not happy that there is a 2km section of gravel....or should I say mud!!

Releng I have to pick up my pack in the morning, around 7-7:15am Ill be at the registration desk.

Releng

Postby Releng » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:09 pm

RobRollin wrote:Releng I have to pick up my pack in the morning, around 7-7:15am Ill be at the registration desk.
Rob, I will probably still be in bed while you are checking in. I aim to get there at 8:20, I checked in this afternoon and it is about a 5 minute ride from my place.
They have given me a number on a big sticker for the bike, keep an eye out for a Fuji with 1016 on it.

Have a safe trip up.

skull

Postby skull » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:06 pm

Opperman Gran Fondo 160km ride today, met up with the taxman, mcdurdin, RobRollin and BarryTas beforehand. Weather abysmal and rained the whole time. Was in the lead bunch until the 50km mark when BarryTas had a mechanical, we stopped and waited for him to fix it and the bunch went on and the second bunch went past too.

We then continued on after the repairs and caught up with the second bunch after the hill climb. Riding hard try to catch lead bunch again, then from nowhere Richie Porte appears and helps our bunch in the chase. He disappears again after about 40km of riding. Was pretty cool.

25km out from finish we see the lead bunch and manage to get them. 15km to go I started cramping and dropped off the back of the bunch. Trying to keep busting thru at 6km to go "BANG" my tyre blew, the sealant failed to save the day and my ride was over, DNF.

154km in 5hrs. Slightly annoyed!

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:31 pm

Great ride, pretty wasted now. Rob, sorry we lost you when you stopped :( I went back but couldn't find you...

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:59 pm

:evil: :evil: Rob - very unhappy that there was no farking support! Not good at all. :evil: :evil:

Rode by myself for many kms, didnt a see the turn car chased me down to tell me. Started cramping in the stomache, rode another 12-14ks in pain, doubled over the bike, had diarrhoea, ala Greg Lemond 1989, stopped at the aid station after the climb Nicole came and picked me up.

skull

Postby skull » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:11 pm

RobRollin wrote::evil: :evil: Rob - very unhappy that there was no farking support! Not good at all. :evil: :evil:

Rode by myself for many kms, didnt a see the turn car chased me down to tell me. Started cramping in the stomache, rode another 12-14ks in pain, doubled over the bike, had diarrhoea, ala Greg Lemond 1989, stopped at the aid station after the climb Nicole came and picked me up.
you serious?

There was suppose to be support vehicles (wasn't there).

Luckily I had a guy who was out to watch part of the race drive past and offer me a lift back in, tho I was only 6km from finish.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:16 pm

I actually meant not one rider stopped or even slowed down. It wasnt a race where it could be expected to go, and I was a little disappointed.

Sorry to hear about your tire that really sucks :(

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:55 pm

RobRollin wrote:I actually meant not one rider stopped or even slowed down. It wasnt a race where it could be expected to go, and I was a little disappointed.

Sorry to hear about your tire that really sucks :(
Did you stop for some reason, you didnt mention it? There is not much another rider can do if you were sick/fatigued. And no way for them to know anything if you are still riding. There were so many people dying on the bike out there, you were not the lone ranger.

With the amount of people stopped with flats I stopped asking if they were ok after the first few. After that I just asked the ones that seemed to be looking at another part of their bike or like one guy walking back down the road[dropped phone] They all said they were ok.

I think most of us were suffering, just at different speeds. For me it was the cold. It got so bad after the aid station past the climb that I had trouble just riding/steering, I could not stop shaking which was making the whole bike wiggle via the bars!. I spent the next 40km alone, hopping from group to group, the only way I could stay warm was to work. Ended up riding with 3 Sydneysiders, two blokes and a woman. They were great company, gave me someone to talk to/have a laugh with. I had to soft pedal a bit on the hills to stay with them, but the legs appreciated a wheel to follow into the headwind at times. Even if my body temp disagreed!

You poor bastard skull :evil: I dunno if I could have handled that! Walking the rest in ya socks not an option? :P Either way, you did all the hard work, the last 6k were easy goin. I looked for you at the start, I was looking for the same kit you had on that day in the race? I had bmc stuff on.

Ive never eaten so much on a ride :o It must be part of where I go wrong because I finished in pretty good nick,just cold and fed up with being wet. Had my first gel as well, it did help a bit but I think I would just rather eat normal food.

My poor friggin bike! I dont think it will ever forgive me :lol: The gravel road, the "walking" mud section :wink: Both would have been fine in the dry, I mean they were easy enough to ride wet but they just munted the bike/rims/pads. The second bit I did no brakes because if I put them on it sounded like attacking the rims with an angle grinder...

No photos, I didnt want to risk the camera plus did not really have the room for it. And I dont have a mobile[lost mine last week] Google some pics of rain, you get the idea :roll: :lol:

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:06 am

Thanks for the first hand accounts guys. Would have liked to have been up there doing the ride. But unfortunately had a wedding to attend to.

The rain and weather conditions, whilst no doubt sucked, clearly made a difficult ride even more difficult. Must have been a good feeling to roll across the line, for those that did.

Skull, sorry to hear about the DNF, puncture BS in the last 6km must have hurt more than any part of the ride. How was it went Porte popped out if nowhere? Did he take massive long turns at the front? highlight of the day Skull?

Results anywhere for KOM?
EDIT: found them http://www.tomatoresults.com.au/default ... 16&RId=209