Wilson st Newtown

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Wilson st Newtown

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:18 pm

Those of you who know the Wilson st bike path may of come upon the same idiot

This morning I riding up the contra lane path and a motorist decides to put 2 wheels over the concrete partition and tries to overtake 2 cyclists going in the same direction as him. The problem was, that the cyclists were following a car, so it was impossible to overtake them (apart from being illegal), so he just drove along beside the cyclists, straight towards me.

I saw an imminent head on in the making, so I screamed at him, grabbed my water bottle and held it. Fortunately he stopped. So I utilised a strong mix of Anglo and Saxon languages to describe his action to him. His response was he was overtaking the cyclists, so I communicated that he was not permitted to cross the solid concrete partition. He took off, so I continued to use full communication in his direction.

It's days like this that I could of done with a helmet cam.

Article about the divider: http://sydney-central.whereilive.com.au ... h-divides/

What can be done about it? Do we need signage that states not to cross the divider?

One thing that Cyclists can do is not keep left when using the car lane (towards the city). This makes it impossible for motorists to do something that stupid. Besides, the left hand side is in the door zone.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Re: Wilson st Newtown

Postby sogood » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Good job Mike. I know you are highly effective in these situations.

One potential is to highlight the issue with the local police. If sympathetic, they'll eventually post a patrol here or there. Not perfect nor likely to eradicate, but likely the realistic outcome.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:28 pm

mikesbytes wrote: What can be done about it? Do we need signage that states not to cross the divider?

One thing that Cyclists can do is not keep left when using the car lane (towards the city). This makes it impossible for motorists to do something that stupid. Besides, the left hand side is in the door zone.
I'm not sure anything needs to be done. I ride and drive that piece of road frequently, and you'd have to be an absolute mumpty to think it was OK to put your wheels over the divider. Clearly you have encountered said mumpty, but is it happening frequently enough to warrant a change?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:56 am

The problem is the 0.1% of the motoring population. Most drivers are careful and considerate to all other road users and errant pedestrians.

At North Sydney they have put rubber dividers on top of a ridge that is designed to stop road users Cutting across 3 lanes of Pacific Hwy traffic to turn left
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:09 pm

mikesbytes wrote:The problem is the 0.1% of the motoring population. Most drivers are careful and considerate to all other road users and errant pedestrians.

At North Sydney they have put rubber dividers on top of a ridge that is designed to stop road users Cutting across 3 lanes of Pacific Hwy traffic to turn left
The next most needed material for action is evidence. If a photo or video could record the event, then there'll be a lot more fire power in any complaint. Maybe you should get a helmet cam.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.