Jail term reduction for driver who killed cyclist

Livetoride

Jail term reduction for driver who killed cyclist

Postby Livetoride » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:37 pm

Why can't this be seen as a life for a life, someone with this persons driving 'skills' and drug and drinking abuse should NEVER be let out.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/jail- ... 1ny20.html
Happy Days

Sydguy

Re: Jail term reduction for driver who killed cyclist

Postby Sydguy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Motorist > cyclist ?

From the article it sounds like he will be doing 7 years inside a prison, 3 years on parole. Sounds about right for the drug offences alone.

Australia needs to get real on drug and alcohol offences. The costs of the abuse of both of these substances would probably payy off the Greek and Italian debt.

JM

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:45 pm

from the story...

"Justice Ross Robson wrote that he expected the family of the victims "may feel sorely done by" for the reduction in jail time, but stressed that the court must sentence all offenders according to well-established sentencing practices, while taking into account sentences delivered in similar cases."

I'm sorry judge, which part of this is merely self-serving justification?? A lighter sentence because no-one will give a stiff sentence? By your employment of such logic - judge - it might have been expected that the offender would have done exactly what he did, since he had previously shown a propensity for exactly that sort of behaviour. And once again - judge - having done so - in drinking four bottles of wine then driving off in his car seeking to purchase drugs the offender has shown that his judgement and this case is not of a norm tolerable in our society. In other words, his behaviour is outside the law and should be treated as such.

You - judge - are out of step.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Unfortunately, many progressives and drop kicks in Australian society think drug and alcohol abuse is not a big deal. Look at the support shown for Chapelle Corby and the 14yo caught in Indonesia; not to mention ABC journalist Peter Lloyd who was caught in Singapore with ice and had amphetamines in his blood test. On his release, which was mediated heavily and at great cost by our Fed Govt, he was eventually promoted to a senior editing position back in the ABC. Any other public servant would have been out on their butt forever.

I recall tax funded politically progressive radio stations Brisbane ZZZ and National JJJ heavily 'normalizing' marijuana use for several decades; at least until the adverse medical evidence became overwhelmingly compelling.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:39 pm

winstonw wrote:Unfortunately, many progressives and drop kicks in Australian society think drug and alcohol abuse is not a big deal. Look at the support shown for Chapelle Corby and the 14yo caught in Indonesia; not to mention ABC journalist Peter Lloyd who was caught in Singapore with ice and had amphetamines in his blood test. On his release, which was mediated heavily and at great cost by our Fed Govt, he was eventually promoted to a senior editing position back in the ABC. Any other public servant would have been out on their butt forever.

I recall tax funded politically progressive radio stations Brisbane ZZZ and National JJJ heavily 'normalizing' marijuana use for several decades; at least until the adverse medical evidence became overwhelmingly compelling.
I think racism has a lot to do with the empathy with shapelle corby (for worse not better)...

While I disgree with the response, I do agree with a lot of society that says drug abuse is an illness. However I don't agree with the lefties, when they say that is an excuse for your behaviour and grounds for NOT being called to task.

the other thing we don't have agreement on re: jail time is.
Is jail time
a) a punishment
b) a deterent
c) removing a dangerous person from society to protect us all?

When we can't agree on the above, or even the proportion each contributes to a jail term, there'll always be someone unsatisfied with the judicial outcome. Personally, I prefer 3 as the reason for jail time. But that's my personal (fairly libertarian) opinion.
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

Davobel

Postby Davobel » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:08 pm

ruscook wrote:
winstonw wrote: I do agree with a lot of society that says drug abuse is an illness. However I don't agree with the lefties, when they say that is an excuse for your behaviour and grounds for NOT being called to task.

the other thing we don't have agreement on re: jail time is.
Is jail time
a) a punishment
b) a deterent

When we can't agree on the above, or even the proportion each contributes to a jail term, there'll always be someone unsatisfied with the judicial outcome. Personally, I prefer 3 as the reason for jail time. But that's my personal (fairly libertarian) opinion.

I agree, I'm happy with 10% (a), 90% (c) and if (b) happens then it is a bonus. I've jokingly told my friends that if I wanted to kill someone I'd give them a bike and ..... wait in my car, ...... sick I know.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:17 pm

It's Victoria, waddyer expect?
We seem to have the softest judiciary to balance successive govts bringing in "Tough New Laws "
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sherlock

Postby sherlock » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:19 pm

ruscook wrote: Is jail time
a) a punishment
b) a deterent
In this case, it's c). This guy has a history of drug abuse and driving offenses, and as per the article, was driving to get MORE drugs.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:44 am

i'm in the minority here, but at least he got whacked with a big sentence. 7 years is an eternity in jail. the reduction won't be leading any motorists to say "wow, now i can knock cyclists over and only get 7 years!"

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:34 am

jules21 wrote:i'm in the minority here, but at least he got whacked with a big sentence. 7 years is an eternity in jail. the reduction won't be leading any motorists to say "wow, now i can knock cyclists over and only get 7 years!"
I'm in that minority with you jules
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:49 am

Might as well let him out of jail right away. And let him have as much heroin as it takes to kill himself without him and the GF
getting into a car and killing other people. If we're really lucky, someone might cut it up with some alprazolam or other lethal contaminants to speed him on his way.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia