Rear view mirrors - What do you use?

westab

Postby westab » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:01 am

Folks - Could I please get some advise. Today after dropping my machine on the shared pathway outside work (wet and slippery with leaves) I got lucky and only scrapepd one pannier, right shoe, but I broke my mirror off (a Zefal bar end type). And dented my pride.

I currently have a spare on my bike but will need to get another for my other machine I am currently rebuilding - I was just wondering what people are using that are road bike compatible for in the bar end.

Thanks everyone.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Cycotic

Re: Rear view mirrors - What do you use?

Postby Cycotic » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:40 am

I have a Zefal tear-drop shaped one on my mtb and a Cateye round mirror on my roadie. The Cateye is much better - wider view, clearer optics and cheaper.
http://www.this link is broken/cateye-bm-300g-race-mirror/

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:54 am

Cycotic wrote:I have a Zefal tear-drop shaped one on my mtb and a Cateye round mirror on my roadie. The Cateye is much better - wider view, clearer optics and cheaper.
http://www.this link is broken/cateye-bm-300g-race-mirror/
S'funny, I have a Zefal Spy on my roadie as well as the same Cateye and much prefer the Zefal - though it's smaller, it's more convex so has a wider field of view and much better optics than the Cateye. Also much less likely to be bumped as it can be easily twisted to the inside of the bars, easier to remove and reposition etc. So much so that I swap it between bikes and the Cateye has been sitting in a box since shortly after I bought the Zefal. That said, I bought the Cateye about ten years ago, so they've probably improved since.

The 'Italian road bike mirror' gets a very good wrap for drop bar bikes - I haven't tried one as I tend to hit the end of the bars with my knee when pedaling through a turn already...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:25 pm

i have a zefal spy on my roadie.

there are 10 billion threads on this already tho.

I bought an italian road bike mirror one. still in packaging. For sale.
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

bodyboarding_bum

Postby bodyboarding_bum » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:21 pm

I also recently bought 'An Italian Roadbike Mirror'. Haven't used it as I don't want to remove my bar tape to install as my tape is only new.

Not as well made as I was hoping either, especially considering the price!

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:17 pm

bodyboarding_bum wrote:I also recently bought 'An Italian Roadbike Mirror'. Haven't used it as I don't want to remove my bar tape to install as my tape is only new.

Me too. I put them on one of my bikes and removed them; they ended up in the bin. I found that my handlebar was much longer and it hit my quads if I tried to stand on the bike.
I still have 2 more in the package if anyone wants them, waste of money and taps.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Apple wrote: I found that my handlebar was much longer and it hit my quads if I tried to stand on the bike.
I'm not sure how your handlebar ended up much longer, Apple ... did you slide it all the way in?

Maybe on a quality woman's road bike (I'm trying to not sound like Kyle Sandilands here) the bars are closer in the first place because of the shorter top tube, etc.

Here's mine ... even allowing for the angle of the face there's not much difference:

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:48 pm

Schmenz wrote:i have a zefal spy on my roadie.
Yeah, I use one on my commuter ... I like the way it quickly comes off, so I don't have to risk donating it to the local youths at the shopping centre when leaving the bike.

I'll only put it on for certain journeys, because it's so short in length that with panniers it has to take the RH bar end grip to be of use.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:31 pm

bodyboarding_bum wrote:I also recently bought 'An Italian Roadbike Mirror'. Haven't used it as I don't want to remove my bar tape to install as my tape is only new.

You don't need to remove the tape do you? You just have to take the end plug out of the bars and stick the mirror in?
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:48 pm

jet-ski wrote:You don't need to remove the tape do you? You just have to take the end plug out of the bars and stick the mirror in?
No, they don't go inside the bars like a plug, they go on the outside and then the tape goes over the top to hold them, so you do have to re-wrap the tape.

Great piece of kit though, it's the only mirror you wouldn't be embarrassed to have on a road bike. Can't understand the poster who said they hit his leg, must be some strange fit if that's happening. The only downside to them is that you can't adjust them much. If the end of your bar doesn't happen to be at the angle they need then you'll end up seeing either the sky or the ground.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Ah, more complicated to fit than I thought.

I think on bikes with very short top tubes I can kind of see this happening - but I can't see it happening on my roadie, but I was borderline fit-wise for my bike and got the S (535 ETT I think) instead of the XS (which is 520) since I have long arms/legs for my height. I think if I got the XS it might be a tighter fit with my longish legs and the slightly shorter top tube and I might hit it pedalling through corners. Still I have this issue a bit with the bar-end shifters on my Surly LHT when they are in a certain position (ie middle gears), but you just get used to it like you do with toe overlap.

Could anyone measure exactly how far their italian mirror sticks out from their bars?
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:08 pm

Check out my photo above, JetSki ... a couple of centimetres when finished?

I got my LBS guy to fit it, wanting a view when I'm on the hoods rather than the drops (you want something else if you need both, such as a helmet mirror).

He said if the tape has been put on 'properly' it just needs to be peeled back for installation, but in my case he had to unwrap the whole thing.

I didn't pretend to understand the difference!

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:34 pm

clackers wrote:Check out my photo above, JetSki ... a couple of centimetres when finished?

I got my LBS guy to fit it, wanting a view when I'm on the hoods rather than the drops (you want something else if you need both, such as a helmet mirror).

He said if the tape has been put on 'properly' it just needs to be peeled back for installation, but in my case he had to unwrap the whole thing.

I didn't pretend to understand the difference!
Funny I have little trouble using mine in both the hoods and the drops, all bikes are a little different, just like the riders I suppose.

I've tried a few different mirrors and the Italian bike mirror is the only one I would recommend.

Calling Mulger, come in Mulger..... :lol:

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:37 pm

clackers wrote:
Apple wrote: I found that my handlebar was much longer and it hit my quads if I tried to stand on the bike.
I'm not sure how your handlebar ended up much longer, Apple ... did you slide it all the way in?

Maybe on a quality woman's road bike (I'm trying to not sound like Kyle Sandilands here) the bars are closer in the first place because of the shorter top tube, etc.

Here's mine ... even allowing for the angle of the face there's not much difference:

LOL, you are funny. Well the bike I used the mirror for was on the 650c and it has a very short top tube, there for the handle bars where very close to me and it was a custom built bike a Teschner.
My other bike is a Pinarello, and there is no way in the world I will put those mirrors on.
But hey, your bike looks great with it. :wink:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:46 am

Apple wrote: My other bike is a Pinarello, and there is no way in the world I will put those mirrors on.
Ah, a fashion crime! :wink:

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:00 pm

In that case I probably would have room on my TCR for one. I do tend to move around on the bars a fair bit, drops for headwinds and descents, tops for climbing, hoods for 'cyclotouristing' ;)

Am also thinking about changing the tape (mine's white and is quickly turning grey), so maybe I'll do it all at once.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:45 pm

bosvit wrote:Calling Mulger, come in Mulger..... :lol:
:lol:

Apple me mate, if you've got some Italian you don't want, PM me, I'll be into that. :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:36 am

Mulger bill wrote:[Apple me mate, if you've got some Italian you don't want, PM me, I'll be into that. :D

Shaun
LOL,
I believe you have some at home already. :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:36 pm

I do but I need one more, I've decided that three is the right number of dropbars for me :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

giantguy

Postby giantguy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Well after deciding that I needed a mirror I have tried three different ones in the last month. As I was busy, I first asked my missus to pick up a mirror from Kmart for about $5. I had seen them there before when buying a few tubes.

Next day I clamped it on and rode to work. I couldn't see a thing due to the mirror moving around and vibration due to the long flexible arm on it.

Next I decided to modify it by using an old bar end plug by drilling a hole in it, removing the clamp on the end of the mirror arm and then pushing it into the bar end plug so it had a nice tight fit with the mirror sitting just next to the bar end. I used this for a couple of weeks with limited success. When the mirror was in position it was ok, good view behind but still some vibration but I kept having to realign it to view properly.

I decided I needed something better. I was in the LBS and picked up a cheap mirror with a clamp that pushes into the bar end and then uses a screw to secure it. The mirror was on some sort of a ball joint and could rotate. I just fitted the mirror and went to align it by rotating the ball joint. The plastic arm between the ball joint and mirror snapped off without much pressure.I should have taken it back to lbs but couldn't be bothered for ten bucks.

Next after reading this forum and some reviews, I decided to buy the zefal spy mirror online as no local bike shop had it in stock (why not? ...sorry lbs no business from me). After waiting a while (I'm in WA) 2 weeks pass and it arrives from the east coast ( why so long ?)

I must say that after the first week of using it I am very happy. There is no vibration and I never have to re-align it. If I have any critisism of it, I would prefer it if the mirror was slightly larger but its not too much of a problem the way it is and it looks like the rubber band to secure it, could be a weak point. It has the advantage of being able to be secured with the rubber clamp in many positions.
I hope this helps anyone considering buying mirror. I have found it gives you a much better idea of what is happening behind you and I would find it difficult now riding on the road without a mirror.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:48 am

Italian road bike mirror. End thread.

I have one here you can have for $50.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:40 am

elStado wrote:Italian road bike mirror. End thread.

LOL, I gave mine away to someone on this foum, hope he liked it. :D

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:31 pm

I tried helmet mounted and bar mounted but never really warmed to them. I preferred mostly moving from the hoods to the drops in advance. That position affords much better (read less time not looking forward) blind-spot and rear-view than sitting-upright despite what some ignorant critics of cyclists may think.

I would find a mirror more useful now as it is VERY difficult to get body and head around sufficient to see behind. It is also quite difficult to do so and be confident that I am not deviating from my intended direction. But then, where would I mount a mirror? Maybe a wrist-strap mount?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:29 pm

Apple wrote:
elStado wrote:Italian road bike mirror. End thread.

LOL, I gave mine away to someone on this foum, hope he liked it. :D
That's a very kind and generous gesture. Kudos for you.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:43 am

Does anyone still have a spare IRBM lying around? I'm thinking I might give it a go.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0