Reynolds Assault wheels

toppity

Reynolds Assault wheels

Postby toppity » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:52 am

I'm posting this here as I reckon this section is a little more race orientated. I'm thinking of purchasing some Reynolds Assault tubulars. I probably (read definately) don't really need another set of race wheels, but I have an opportunity to get some that will be hard to pass up.

I'm a heavy bloke (around the 100kg) and would consider myself more a sprinter than anything else. The question is...is there anyone who has had experience with these wheels who is a "sprinter" type and what where those experiences?
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

rustychisel

Re: Reynolds Assault wheels

Postby rustychisel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:27 am

I have not owned or ridden these wheels but strongly suggest you do the research into rider weight limits etc as I have seen several pairs when they break a spoke (just the one). In one instance in the Adelaide Hills I saw a rider honking up a 15% gradient and when a rear wheel spoke went it sounded like a gunshot. More importantly, the wheel was out of true instantly by about 20mm and would no longer spin in his Cervelo frame, very nearly toppling him into the ditch. It really did bugger up his day.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:39 am

I've got Reynolds Assault Clinchers, and I weigh in at 88kg.

However, I do need to keep the spoke tension even across the wheel, else they creak and groan like my knees.
If you're a sprinter at 100kg, I reckon they will struggle (no offense meant, sorry).

Cheers,

Kev.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:46 am

i've seen 4 or 5 pairs of reynolds attacks/assaults break spokes first hand so be wary. but if you are getting them at the right price you can afford to have them rebuilt with good spokes before they break
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

toppity

Postby toppity » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll do some more investigation.

No offence Kev, even when I'm training hard I can't get under 95kg. Just big boned I think :oops:

This is me on the track.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:59 pm

toppity wrote:I'm posting this here as I reckon this section is a little more race orientated. I'm thinking of purchasing some Reynolds Assault tubulars. I probably (read definately) don't really need another set of race wheels, but I have an opportunity to get some that will be hard to pass up.

I'm a heavy bloke (around the 100kg) and would consider myself more a sprinter than anything else. The question is...is there anyone who has had experience with these wheels who is a "sprinter" type and what where those experiences?
I can't comment on the Reynolds.

At your weight though, the Pro-Lite Vicenza would be a really good choice. They are super stiff and very strong, we've tested them with some really strong track sprinters who were quite surprised with the level of stiffness.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:02 pm

i have had a set of Assault Clinchers since October last year and have done approximately 8000km on them. This has included riding them in all kinds of conditions.

My experiecen has been that they are great to ride on and the hubs are excellent. All i would suggest is that if you get a pair then make sure you check the condition of the nipples as they are made of alloy and I have found that whilst I have not been breaking spokes I have had the nipples corrode and break thereby causing the spoke to come lose and rattle. It has happened twice and once the wheeel went out of true.

Currently getting rear wheel rebuilt with new nipples which is pretty easy as spokes are std and very easily obtainable.
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

toppity

Postby toppity » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:51 pm

Life never turns our exactly how you think it will. So, a good offer on some 2009 Zipp 404 tubulars came up and I've taken it. I'll see how they go. If they work out then great, if not I should be able to sell them for what I paid for them.

Thanks for the advice, I'd done some more research as well, and was confident the Assaults would be a good wheel. But then everything gets turned on it's head and I jump without looking. :?

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:43 pm

just did 250km ride on my rebuilt rear wheel and no problems at all.
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert