Lower back locking

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
ShanDog

Lower back locking

Postby ShanDog » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:05 pm

Ever since the spring cycle (yes that far back) my lower back seems to lock up whenever I sit in the eating a hamburger/reading the newspaper position or when I get off my bike after a long ride. First time I noticed it was the moment I got off the bike at the finish line for the Spring Cycle. The position is such that my butt is on a normal horizontal surface and I have my torso leaning forward. It doesn't really matter what i'm doing with my arms/legs. It doesn't seem to be painful, just that it gets uncomfortable and unpleasant and moving back to the upright position is a bit of a strain and my back seems to be weak or locked in that position. After 10 or so seconds upright my back goes back to normal. My flexibility and movement otherwise seems completely fine.

Does anyone have any idea of what is causing this? My primary suspicion is that maybe my lower back muscles are all knotted up and I just need some kind of physio or therapeutic massage. I'm just concerned that it may be someone a little more serious considering how long its lingered around for.
Shannon

Apollo Vanquish (Snapped Seat Stay)
LeMond Tourmalet (Still Kicking :D)
Raleigh Record (Sold)
Schwinn Avenue Hybrid (Sold)

foo on patrol

Re: Lower back locking

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Could be muscel spasms! :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Shouldn't that feel like spasms?

With this I don't feel anything, even if I'm sitting forward, until the moment I straighten up again. Then its bad.

EDIT: Yep, shouldn't spasms feel like spasms. Dumb question. I meant, should I feel contractions occuring?
Shannon

Raleigh Record (Sold)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:29 pm

sacroilliac joints.erhaps? Go and see a physio. If you're in northern Sydney I can recommend someone who has helped me. I was referred to him by Steve Hogg.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:49 pm

trailgumby wrote:sacroilliac joints.erhaps? Go and see a physio. If you're in northern Sydney I can recommend someone who has helped me. I was referred to him by Steve Hogg.
Hmmm possibly. The symptoms do sound similar "Stiffness in the lower back when getting up after sitting for long ". It may be a bit higher than that. Not sure.

Yeh I think physio is the go. Pulled a muscle in my shoulder so can probably go for a 241 :lol: That sounds good. How far north? I live in the middle of the city.
Shannon

Raleigh Record (Sold)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:15 pm

ShanDog wrote:Shouldn't that feel like spasms?

With this I don't feel anything, even if I'm sitting forward, until the moment I straighten up again. Then its bad.

EDIT: Yep, shouldn't spasms feel like spasms. Dumb question. I meant, should I feel contractions occuring?
I felt nothing until I tried to straighten neither. Then it would just grab and intense pain would follow. :(
The physio that I saw said that my muscles were going into spasms from all the years of trying to compensate for back problems. :evil:

After a few visits for massage, manipulation and accupuncture as well as some exercises it came good or should I say better.
I don't need to rely on pain killers every day now. :D

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:09 pm

does the pain feel central or slightly off to the side of the spine?

is it painful from sit to stand or just a locking up feeling as these = different things.

can you touch the pain spot with one finger or is it more diffuse and more of a general area.

answer those and then i can tell you based on the latest evidence based practice which is more likely :) (SIJ, Facet jt or disc)

martin krauss in north syd that TG is talking about is good. As is Blair at the body mechanic in milsons pt. I can personally vouch for both.
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:52 pm

@Foo

Yeh I'm definitely going to get it looked at

@Schmenz

it is definitely lower central back but I do feel as though its more on the sides of the spine rather than directly on it. I feel nothing until I transition from the leaning forward position back to straight up again. I wouldn't say it's pain necessarily but I do have a very high threshold for pain after years of youngster stupidity :lol:. To me it feels more like an uncomfortable weakness/locking up. Definitely defuse. I can completely touch it all over and it doesn't make any difference in regards to pain and there's no single spot. Seems to just be all over the lower middle section.

Thanks for the recommendations. Will have to do my research to make an appointment and try to schedule it around my work trips.
Shannon

Raleigh Record (Sold)

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:47 pm

sounds 'discy'
get it looked at.

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:21 pm

scotto wrote:sounds 'discy'
get it looked at.

what he said

check your pms, i sent you one this morning :)

Davobel

Postby Davobel » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:39 pm

In a study done in 2001, they showed that after 20 minutes of forward flexion the multifidis would go from spasm to fatigue and take about 7 hours on average to recover. If I would have to take an educated guess I would say your multifidi are fatiguing causing the QL (quadratus lumborum) to spasm. When you go to straighten up your lower discs (probably L4,L5) are compromised. There are several things that can help you but I would see a healthcare professional to get an exact diagnosis and treatment/ rehab plan.

scotto

Postby scotto » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Davobel wrote:In a study done in 2001, they showed that after 20 minutes of forward flexion the multifidis would go from spasm to fatigue and take about 7 hours on average to recover. If I would have to take an educated guess I would say your multifidi are fatiguing causing the QL (quadratus lumborum) to spasm. When you go to straighten up your lower discs (probably L4,L5) are compromised. There are several things that can help you but I would see a healthcare professional to get an exact diagnosis and treatment/ rehab plan.
thats not relevent here. the multidii wont fatigue as youre weight bearing through your arms predominantly.
youre making a relatively simple problem way to complex.

i always remind my students an old medical adage "common thing happen commonly". the same applies to rare or uncommon events.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:28 pm

@Shandog, go and see Martin Krause at Back in Business Physiotherapy. http://www.back-in-business-physiotherapy.com/

Tell him John Hawkins sent you.

I'm sending my daughter there this week.

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:15 pm

scotto - love that phrase - also hunt horses not zebras.

tg - im seeing him again tomorrow, will try and remember to say hi for you.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Sounds sort of like what I have had.
All AOK while seated but stand up to find yourself all locked up?
Stiff across the hip with stiffness/pain radiating up to the spine?
Also pain in the hip joint and sometimes in the knee?

Mine ended up being QL, TFL, Psoas, ITB and SI joint.
Lots of massage and Chiro.
Also adjusted my saddle height in line with Steve Hoggs recommended method.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Been stuck out in the middle of nowhere for work so haven't had much chance to go online. All good advice. I'm planning on calling my health insurance and double check what they cover for physio/chiro etc and go from there. This definitely needs a look at. Thanks Schmenz for the PM too. good stuff!

God it's tough to book in for Martin Krause. I fly out of Sydney 6:30am every monday and come back 6:30pm every friday. With their opening times monday - friday, I won't ever get a chance to go there. Does anyone know a good place that does weekends? I'm stuck on this fly in fly out routine for the next 8-9 months.
Shannon

Raleigh Record (Sold)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:40 am

ShanDog wrote:Shouldn't that feel like spasms?

Not necessarily. I have them and mostly it manifests itself with a generally aching lumbar that progressively gets worse. NoIthing sharp, but the sort of pain that ears you down with time. If left too long then rest doesn't do much either as the muscles are constantly retracting without you even noticing it, just noticing the endless discomfort and poor sleep with it.

I get less of it since i started riding the unicycle everywhere.

If you are getting muscle spasms then rest may not be effective as the muscles continue to work in response to the pain. I found that the "praying to allah" stretching position for a minute of two several times a day,and maintaining it for a few days after things seem well is the most effective way to stop it. Muscle relaxants may be called for too.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:46 am

you could also try blair at the body mechanic. im not sure what their hours are.

http://www.thebodymechanic.com.au/contact.html

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Schmenz wrote:you could also try blair at the body mechanic. im not sure what their hours are.

http://www.thebodymechanic.com.au/contact.html
Damn, I'm out of luck. They only do monday to friday. Doesn't anyone do weekends? I'm very surprised.
Shannon

Raleigh Record (Sold)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:04 pm

Weekend is family time! :mrgreen:

Can't you get some sort of help from where you work, seeing as it is fly in fly out? :|

Foo
Goal 6000km

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:27 pm

scotto is a physio (i think) he might do weekends. (depends on where you live tho and where you are willing to travel to)

i do weekends but i have seminars every weekend until christmas. dont lose hope.. lots out there work saturdays! (its pretty much a requirement for most chiros to do it - not so sure for physios)

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:14 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Weekend is family time! :mrgreen:

Can't you get some sort of help from where you work, seeing as it is fly in fly out? :|

Foo
Lol I wish. I'm lucky to even have internet here. hell my phone doesn't even work most of the day.
Schmenz wrote:scotto is a physio (i think) he might do weekends. (depends on where you live tho and where you are willing to travel to)

i do weekends but i have seminars every weekend until christmas. dont lose hope.. lots out there work saturdays! (its pretty much a requirement for most chiros to do it - not so sure for physios)
Yeh this side of xmas might be tough too coz of my work but will keep looking in case I find something.
Shannon

Raleigh Record (Sold)