How good was today for a great ride !!!

MichaelB

How good was today for a great ride !!!

Postby MichaelB » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:01 pm

After a hard days gardening yesterday, put off the ride till this morning.

Got up early and enjoyed a couple of strong coffees with the missus in the garden,and then, dusting of the Cinelli Nuovo SuperCorsa, headed out the back gate at 7:10am. Once on the uptrack, calm, cool and only bikes in sight.

Headed up to Mt Lofty, to the lookout, back down, up Mt osmond and back down Greenhill rd for a 56km ride.

Set a PB to the Bollards, equalled the PB from Bollard to Lookout base, set a new PB up Mt Osmond and have now also kept below the target 90kg (14kg lost) for over a month now.

What a great day to be livin' in Adelaide :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

amt

Re: How good was today for a great ride !!!

Postby amt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:14 pm

Yes a perfect day today, I went up Norton Summit twice. Just beautiful.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Ba$tards!!! You blokes are either, before kids, have adult kids or DINKS , cos My morning was under 11 cricket followed by taxiíng to a B'day party and pickup.
On the upside I weigh 68kg and a resting heart rate below 50bpm, so don't have to struggle too much to maintain my string bean status. Commuting works just fine.

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Yes today was a CRACKER of a day which was most unfortunate because I went for my big ride YESTERDAY when the weather was crapola! :evil:

Went from Morphett Vale, down to Montacute Rd and up to Mount Lofty and back via Sheok Rd and Happy Valley in some of the most atrocious conditions I've ridden in. The only saving grace is that it wasn't cold. Just wet and windy and steep.

My short jaunt down to Willunga was much better this morning.

Tim

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:53 pm

A great ride this morning. I rode up to the Bollards with a friend, she's been off the bike fro a while and was a bit slow so I rode at her pace in about 34/17 gearing with ridiculously low cadence but it was fun for some weird reason. The we headed toward Mylor via Milan Tce which was anew route and what a great descent, then up Aldgate Valley Rd, back up Milan Tce and then through Sturt valley Rd with it's great new surface. Perfect weather and a great ride with a good friend.

http://app.strava.com/rides/2469425

One day I'll post a decent time to the Bollards on Strava :roll:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:19 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Ba$tards!!! You blokes are either, before kids, have adult kids or DINKS , cos My morning was under 11 cricket followed by taxiíng to a B'day party and pickup.
On the upside I weigh 68kg and a resting heart rate below 50bpm, so don't have to struggle too much to maintain my string bean status. Commuting works just fine.
Nope - 0ne child, Softball on Sat mornings, gardening Sat afternoon.

Yes, the wind made the decision not to ride yesterday a tad easier.

My resting HR is below 50 as well, but need to REALLY work at keeping weight down, but the good this is I'm succeeding better than I ever have :mrgreen:

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:33 am

I had to work. :roll:
Certified Brand Snob

bracko

Postby bracko » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:42 pm

had my first proper ride around adelaide yesterday, Norwood to Glenelg (back roads, working out how best to get to work which is about half way) then back home up the ANZAC hwy.

unfortunately a little red on the face and more than a little red on the upper arms :( damn sun screen didn't work as well as hoped... still 3 months left before expiry, but it will be going in the bin.

perfect morning for a ride and nice to not be riding in sydney's gauntlet between riders and cars :)

keen on tackling the mount lofty challenge, but will need to do a lot of fitness work (and lose the belly) before.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Welcome Bracko, sure you will enjoy Australias premiere cycling city! The best way to get fit for ridind hills is to ride hills. It's so nice and quiet up there, just go for it. Norton Summit Rd is your best entry point, shortest and shallowest climb to start with. Have fun.
Certified Brand Snob

bracko

Postby bracko » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:43 am

cheers for the welcome :)

I'm in norwood, so from there to the hill looks like a good warm up... thanks :)

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:32 am

I worked in the morning but went out in the arvo. Up Norton, then Lofty and back down the old freeway. Beautiful day.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:31 pm

Well, today just found out that whilst Sunday (27th Nov) was a great day for a ride , it was a horrible day for other reasons.

Found out this morning that my boss at work (has been ill for some time) lost his battle with cancer on Sunday. Leaves behind a wife and 2 young children. Life does not make sense at times :cry:

Might need to go for a ride/long walk tonight. Mike was same ge as me, his kids were 9 & 12 (I have a 9 yo) and he lived not 300m from my house too. :cry:

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:03 pm

That sucks. I lost someone very close to me earlier this year. On getting home from the hospital etc I went for a long ride in the hills to clear my head. Could not just sit around feeling sad. It worked for me. All the best.
Certified Brand Snob

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Yeah, commiserations, Michael. Been there, done a bit of that.

Bracko, I'm one suburb over from you, so if you want to catch up for a ride sometime, PM. Saturday mornings are good, Sunday mornings also

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Sorry to hear that MichaelB. Life does indeed suck at times. :(

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:59 am

you cannot be sirrus wrote:Sorry to hear that MichaelB. Life does indeed suck at times. :(
Went for a ride last night to ponder things. Riding along the Esplanade at Henley, saw the sun beaming through the clouds and that brought a smile and gave me a sign that Mike is finally resting in peace.

Onwards and upwards, and make sure you are healthy to be able to fight whatever comes your way. :)

buzz

Postby buzz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:16 pm

It's amazing how going for a ride can put life into perspective! Very sorry to hear about the passing of your boss, but looks like you have the right attitude.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:33 am

Thwe weather the last fweek or so has been great apart from the BLOODY WIND !!!!

Was due to go for a ride wiuth a mate on Sunday morning, but the gusty wind and a sick daughter made the plans chnage. In the end went out at about 5:30 for a jaunt and loved it. 57km including a stonking time (for me anyway - first time into 12 min zone, and smashed PB by 45 seconds :D :D :D ) up Belair Rd despite the winds. :D

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:01 am

Despite the winds on Sunday I don't think I've ever seen so many cyclists in the hills. We were out by 7.30am and someone should have been selling tickets around Mt Lofty, there were just thousands up there, through the Piccadilly Valley etc, coming down Norton Summit at about 9.45am there were still hundreds heading up.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:30 am

I raced up at Mt Torrens and it was damn windy. On the drive there saw one bloke decending Greenhill rd and he had to unclip as a gust almost put him in the barriers. :shock:

On a good note I got my first podium finish, 3rd. There were 6 of us in B grade and on the final climb I was dropped and we had about 1 km to go. The leaders were all pretty stuffed at the top and no one wanted to work (strong headwind) so I recovered a bit and found I was catching back on. As I got closer they were still messing around so I gave it heaps and went round them all and got a pretty good gap with probably 600m to go. Head down and buried myself, hit the last rise hard and then a slight downhill to the finish. I could hear the sprint coming and was seriously in the red and just got pipped on the line. 1 lousy second! Still I won $10. 8)
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:I raced up at Mt Torrens and it was damn windy. On the drive there saw one bloke decending Greenhill rd and he had to unclip as a gust almost put him in the barriers. :shock:

On a good note I got my first podium finish, 3rd. There were 6 of us in B grade and on the final climb I was dropped and we had about 1 km to go. The leaders were all pretty stuffed at the top and no one wanted to work (strong headwind) so I recovered a bit and found I was catching back on. As I got closer they were still messing around so I gave it heaps and went round them all and got a pretty good gap with probably 600m to go. Head down and buried myself, hit the last rise hard and then a slight downhill to the finish. I could hear the sprint coming and was seriously in the red and just got pipped on the line. 1 lousy second! Still I won $10. 8)
Well done.

The wind was at a point on Sunm morning that I didn't ride due to the issue you mention re Greenhill road guy. Headwind is one thing, but when it is strong and gusty, that's bad news. Don't need to ride that much !!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Lookin' like a great evening for a ride !!

Might try and do a sub 30 min Bollards run :mrgreen:

Anyone wanna pace me ?

Enricopalazzo

Postby Enricopalazzo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:42 pm

Daccordi, where /who did you race fir in Sunday?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:39 am

MichaelB wrote:Lookin' like a great evening for a ride !!

Might try and do a sub 30 min Bollards run :mrgreen:

Anyone wanna pace me ?
Bloody wind. Not a breath during the day and then a damn gale just at riding time. Hmmmpphh :x

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:04 am

Enricopalazzo wrote:Daccordi, where /who did you race fir in Sunday?
Enricho, Adelaide Hills club.

Michael, doing Greenhill Rd and Old Freeway tonight, fingers crossed for no wind, actually a tailwind would be nice for a change.
Certified Brand Snob