Went for a ride yesterday

Went for a ride yesterday

Postby briztoon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

and was getting smashed by the head and cross winds. That's what you get for being tall and lanky I guess. I saw a couple of other guys out for a ride, which is pretty rare for the time of day I go for a ride. So what's the etiquette for swinging a u-turn and taking on behind other riders? Can you politely ask is it ok to join other riders.

I'm up to 50k rides, but (yesterday) it takes me ~2 hours, so probably not up to keeping with the fit riders out there.
briztoon

by BNA » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:23 am

BNA

Re: Went for a ride yesterday

Postby K2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:23 am

Don't know about etiquette but on Sunday afternoon I'd have offered cold, hard cash for a tow back up the V1.

Made the mistake of thinking the NEish crosswind wouldn't make much difference on the way back. As soon as I turned at Coomera it felt like I'd entered a wind tunnel. On the positive side - the hills provided a bit of a wind shadow so getting over them seemed relatively easy in comparison. The other positive was spying a black cockatoo for the second time down that way. Not a single other cyclist. Seems I was the only one stupid enough to head out that late. Did I mention the computer was showing 34º as I set off?

And, as is often the way with the wind around here, nearing home and heading SWish along Clarks Rd I was still getting the occasional strong gust directly in the face! :? I was trying to decide if I was stuck in a cyclone or just cursed, then I felt something between my shoulder blade and spine pop as I got out of the saddle to negotiate the intersection with Drews Rd, felt the twinges getting worse as I continued, and knew it weren't no cyclone.

Still, had a great trip down, saw a bird I've only ever seen once before when not in the mountains, and went for a very pleasant hour's spin this afternoon without too much complaining from the back.

But enough about me. Back to you...

Asking politely seems to work well in many situations.
K2

Return to Queensland