Unique Environments

inteliride

Unique Environments

Postby inteliride » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:59 pm

A bunch of us melbourne lads are heading down to tassie for a few days and we're pumped. We'll be filming the ride and mapping out where to find some unique landscapes. So far we think the climb at Ben Lomond looks unbelievable, also those white silica roads near Corrina. Thought some of the coast line could be rugged, though it seems the real good stuff is only reachable via hiking down south... ?

Wondering if there's any really interesting routes or secret spots that you believe are worth checking out? The more unique the better to really show of tassies wild and mostly untouched environment. Thx in advance.

RobRollin

Re: Unique Environments

Postby RobRollin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:12 am

Well I presume you mean on a roadie? In that case if your looking for some real wid terrain check out the great western tiers....beautiful scenery and tough climbs. Or for something different then ride down the West Coast, lots of climbing and interesting scenery. If your coming down the East Coast then you have Elephant Pass, St marys Pass, Bust Me Gall, Break me Neck and Black Charlies climbs along with beautiful scenery.

Of course you have to ride Mt Wellington!

Depends when you are down but there are a few rides on during the week...

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:34 am

Ben Lomond would be pretty rough on a road bike. But West Coast has lots of hidden, unique roads, e.g. B28 on west coast is little travelled and spectacular (sealed road). Queenstown is much photographed but is worth a peek anyway. Or ride out to Strathgordon / Lake Pedder for fantastic wild scenery.

If you are on MTB then you'll have a lot more choice...

Come prepared for rough weather. Today is the first day of summer and snow is forecast.
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 am

Should also note that most of the southwest is not really bike-accessible. Bikes not allowed on tracks in national parks (for obvious reasons). Forestry roads are okay but beware of feral log trucks, and most forestry roads are pretty sucky scenery-wise.

Two other places worth riding are Bruny Island and Maria Island.
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

Gordo

Postby Gordo » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:00 pm

ride up to strathgordon. no-one goes up there. you are riding into the heart of the SW...almost (where the sw track starts). the mountains are unreal.

Bruny island would be great. roads are unsealed though.

we did hobart to launceston via the central lakes. very hard. cold. snow. would love to do it in reverse just so we can do the climb from poatina into the lakes.

Would love to do jacobs ladder at ben lomond...will try it on my new roubaix.

east coast

west coast

personally i want to see it all myself. But i'd go strathgordon just for the mountains...and do the walk to the top of mt anne.

u could ride up hartz mountains and take a little walk just to take a look at federation peak (another ride i want to do)

inteliride

Postby inteliride » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:39 am

Guys thanks heaps for the ideas, has helped heaps. Gordon Dam and the south west lakes / mountains are looking really promising. Heap of planning to do... Seems we'll definitely have to sacrifice going to some areas as there's just so much to see. Next time!

Giant Pete

Postby Giant Pete » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Anywhere in the North-East is also good.
The road between St Helens and Scottsdale is breathtaking, in parts. If you have a MTB, then head over Victoria Pass.
From Scottsdale, you can head to the North-East tip to Musselroe Bay and Eddystone Point. It's dirt road once you leave Gladstone, but well worth it. Especially the view of the northern islands.