Urgent help needed re: broken Shimano SLX M666 Brake Washer

reags

Urgent help needed re: broken Shimano SLX M666 Brake Washer

Postby reags » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:58 am

GDay all,

Just need some expert advice from you lot as I've had no luck elsewhere on Google.

This morning I was fixing my front brake pad when I noticed this particular odd shaped washer was broken so I removed it as pictured -

Here's what it looks like on the rear brake -

From what I can tell via touching it on the rear brake there's no tension at all but rather just 'sits there'. Does anyone know what this washer is for, can I live without it and/if replacement part is available?

Big thanks in advance,
Reagan
2011 Trek Fuel EX 8

Jean

Re: Urgent help needed re: broken Shimano SLX M666 Brake Was

Postby Jean » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:13 pm

Well it appears to be from an Avid brake rather than a Shimano one for a start. It's not a washer by the looks of the photos, but a clip (probably a type of circlip) that keeps a pin in. Ascertain your brake model, go to Avid's website and find the technical documents for it, which will likely give you a name, or even better a part number. Then try to find it.

Cheers

A_P

Postby A_P » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:15 pm

at a guess i'd say that it stops the pin that holds the brake pads in place from falling out. A standard circlip will suffice. SupaCheap or similar might have them. The original item is like that so you can change pads with just a simple screwdriver.

reags

Postby reags » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Thanks for the replies and identifying guys, really appreciate it.

I just found it odd as it isn't even making contact with the pads but just sits there and easily moves with the lightest touch. (The screw itself uses an allen key)

You're right it's Avid (sorry got caught up looking for replacement pads for it which were Shimanos). I'll pop out to the shops shortly so try resolve this.

Cheers again
2011 Trek Fuel EX 8

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:51 pm

The clip doesn't hold anything in place, but is there as a safety mechanism just in case the brake pad locating bolt somehow unscrews.

I've used my brakes without them at all or you can just twist a little bit of fine wire around the recessed end of the little bolt for peace of mind.

My current brakes (Formula R1's) don't have anything at all, but the previous model does have a clip similar to the avid's. The Hope mini's on my wife's bike have a little hole in the end & tiny little piece of looped wire through the hole.

I have had the little suckers break as well although more commonly they disappear when you ping them off with a screw driver. You can hear them land somewhere in the room, but after scouring the floor with a magnet for 30 minutes & finding everything else you've dropped over the past 6 months I give up & move on.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

reags

Postby reags » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:50 pm

Cheers for the tip mate - I may twist a little wire around it if need be or just wait until I switch pads altogether as apparently they come with replacement pad kits.

Thanks again everyone
2011 Trek Fuel EX 8