rifraf, your new avatar is somehow disturbing :? :oops:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

}SkOrPn--7

Re: Panniers

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:58 pm

il padrone wrote:rifraf, your new avatar is somehow disturbing :? :oops:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All Aidan needs now is to buy that really cheap yellow rain gear that is plastic and yellow in colour or to match his avatar a yellow poncho and we will have a banana on our forums for real. :wink:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Oh all right then - tis gone :shock: :lol:
Last edited by rifraf on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:05 pm

rifraf wrote: everyone seemed to choose the medium (31L) and that it wasnt really any wider than
a set of panniers.
I have to agree here the 24 L Rack Bag wouldn't be big enough for most travellers and the 31L doesn't over hang the rear panniers but holds in my opinion the perfect amount where as I thing the 49L would over hang and be too big.

Ricky

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:07 pm

rifraf wrote:
Oh all right then - tis gone :shock: :lol:
Everytime I will think of you Aidan that avatar is burnt in my head so no it isn't gone buddy :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:15 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote: Everytime I will think of you Aidan that avatar is burnt in my head so no it isn't gone buddy :D
LOL Well it had me in stitches when I saw it :lol:
Perhaps a little to heavy handed on the spice for conservative tastes but...

Max

Panniers

Postby Max » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Aww, I liked your bananatar. Bring it back! The world needs more dirty old banana men.

Max

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:25 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote: I have to agree here the 24 L Rack Bag wouldn't be big enough for most travellers and the 31L doesn't over hang the rear panniers but holds in my opinion the perfect amount where as I thing the 49L would over hang and be too big.

Ricky
I'm awaiting Andrews response as I'm a little unclear as to his meaning.
My initial assumption was to it looking a little wide for passing traffic but I wont be sure till he adds some detail.
It may have been an aesthetics thing where longwise may have given a different look which Andrew thought maybe more
appealing, but as I pointed out the rack itself has an angled upwards part that wouldn't work with that idea and would mean
a hell of an over hang at the rear end with the ensuing balance issue potential for a dual suspension bike that
already needs a smooth pedaling action to avoid a seesawing motion setting in. They are definitely (IMHO) a sit and spin
bike design as opposed to a get off the saddle and honk design.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Max wrote:Aww, I liked your bananatar. Bring it back! The world needs more dirty old banana men.

Max

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
Heeheeheewheezecough hee.
No worries Max, I left a copy of the "retina burning" pic on page eight for a memorial.
IP's right in that it is a family show and maybe a little on the risky side as opposed to plain old risque.
An exposing banana might just be on the unbalanced side of decent for some so maybe better to find another choice
of avator for now, at least until the bike license thing some people want comes out and we need to be
over 18 to ride bikes and thus belong to forums. :wink:

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Aidan I think Andrew did mean to turn it around and have it follow the length of the rack not across it like your image. Well that was my understanding so I think you have it right as well.

@Max way to go a great person with a wide sense of humour that's my kind of girl just wish more were like you the world would be better for it.

Back on topic can that up-turn on your rear rack Aidan be removed or is that one of those spring loaded do-dads Aidan? Man I just noticed you even have a leather saddle bag next I'm going to seeing you in tweed riding that thing. :wink:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:45 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Aidan I think Andrew did mean to turn it around and have it follow the length of the rack not across it like your image. Well that was my understanding so I think you have it right as well.
Yes. I just thought it would be supported better but by the sounds of it the way it is works fine.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:46 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Aidan I think Andrew did mean to turn it around and have it follow the length of the rack not across it like your image. Well that was my understanding so I think you have it right as well.

@Max way to go a great person with a wide sense of humour that's my kind of girl just wish more were like you the world would be better for it.

Back on topic can that up-turn on your rear rack Aidan be removed or is that one of those spring loaded do-dads Aidan? Man I just noticed you even have a leather saddle bag next I'm going to seeing you in tweed riding that thing. :wink:
Ricky, removal is definitely something I'll consider after I get the measuring stick out to see what the overlap is like if I do change that part of the rack.
It may be worth looking at getting it brazed flat instead of sticking up or removed.
Food for thought indeed.
That Max is pretty good but we need to send her to a decent re-education camp to relieve her of her current Rohloff fetish and more in tune
with the truly enlightened 3x7 IGH superiority - lol
I'll just go get my flameproofs. :lol:
What may be the potential issues with the bag sitting crossways?
I'm not opposed but just curious as to the advantages as I think I can add things to the set up the way it is, like my previously mentioned
sleeping bag (in dry-bag) and/or self inflating bedroll.
I've yet to determine the positioning of my Ortlieb waterbags but likely they'll go on the trailer somewhere. :idea:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:50 am

Aushiker wrote:
Yes. I just thought it would be supported better but by the sounds of it the way it is works fine.

Andrew
Ah your here Andrew, thanks for the response. I'm going to revisit your suggestion after doing some careful measurements and contemplating
the loading ramifications with regards to adding other items as above post. I was unsure of your reasoning and wanted to clarify.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Cheers
Aidan :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:20 am

Andrew did you see the post/pic I left at the bottom of page eight?
Well one up from the bottom, showing a front on view with regards to the rear bag being
pannier width only?
Cheers
Aidan :)

Max

Panniers

Postby Max » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:52 am

Bring back the 'nana. :(

On topic.. Or maybe not, but I'll ask here anyway. It's pissing down rain here in 'Vegas today. Aside from using a waterproof pannier, how do you keep your sleeping bag dry? This is a question directed at those of you who keep your sleeping bag outside the pannier eg on top of a rack etc.

Max

One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:03 am

If I was to have my fart sack out of any panniers or bag I would just place it in a drybag that accommodated the sleeping bag size. Never given that any thought it's always lived in the trailer.

Ricky

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:28 am

Max wrote:Aside from using a waterproof pannier, how do you keep your sleeping bag dry?
You pack it in a Sea to Summit dry bag. My sleeping bag is carried with the tent and needs protection any time the tent is damp, so it lives in one of these. Depending on the bulk of your sleeping bag the smaller sizes are better - my Marmot Hydrogen and Helium bags will fit into the smallest size.

While you are visiting the Sea to Summit site take the time to check out their amazing range of gadget and accessories like this one.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:54 am

My sleeping bag came in a waterproof exped pack liner. Made it quite an easy choice for me :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Max

Postby Max » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll check out the dry bags.

And Ron, I have no idea how I ever lived without that particular gadget. Thankyou for enriching my life with knowledge of its existence! :D

Max

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:40 pm

In certain touring situations you may also complement it with this gadget. Although I have a folding one like this one - much better for digging rocky soil :wink:

Back to the panniers - I organise my panniers into 'rooms'. One rear pannier is the bedroom (sleeping gear for inside the tent), one is the kitchen/living room (stove, mess-kit and daytime clothes) whike the front panniers are almost solely for food and the rack-top drybag is the accommodation (tent, sleeping mat and folding camp stool). So my sleeping bag (a superdown one) always goes inside one rear pannier, taking up about 1/3-1/2 of the pannier. Being down it absolutely must stay dry.
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Max

Postby Max » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:47 pm

A pocket trowel, eh. Not sure I'd be putting it back into my pocket after using it. :shock: :lol:

Max

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Max wrote:A pocket trowel, eh. Not sure I'd be putting it back into my pocket after using it. :shock: :lol:
Ahh you dig the ground with it and then you use it to cover up ... it shouldn't need any special treatment; well I hope not as mine has seen use on 14+ day trips without a wash, in fact I don't think I have every washed it in the four of five years I have had it. It is only dirt after all :)

I would however ensure I carry a "dry" sanitising product for the hands. Often no water readily available and definitely no soap used in waterways. Good for Bali too :)

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Max wrote:And Ron, I have no idea how I ever lived without that particular gadget. Thankyou for enriching my life with knowledge of its existence! :D
hehe, don't get caught short without one. :lol:

btw, when I bought my pocket trowel it was marketed (tongue-in-cheek) as the iPood. That was until Apple objected and forced a name change... :roll:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:30 pm

rifraf wrote:Andrew did you see the post/pic I left at the bottom of page eight?
Well one up from the bottom, showing a front on view with regards to the rear bag being
pannier width only?
Yes. That made me re-think my take on it. At the end of the day, you should go with what works for you.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi

On the subject of dry bags (sacks) I have used a few of the Sea to Summit sil-nylon ones and have been disappointed with their performance. They need more love and care than the older heavier style from Sea to Summit. Those have worked well for me in the past such as on this crossing of the Fitzgerald River.

Also I would probably look around now if I was buying new ones as there are more innovative materials/manufactures (e.g., Outdoor Research) out there now and Sea to Summit gear is generally over priced in my experience.

Andrew