Ipswich 100 - 01st April 2012

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:49 am

http://www.ipswich100.com.au/

Ipswich 100 date now released and registrations opened.
I'm in for the 100 Miles .... registration # 4 ..... someone beat me to it :D

ldrcycles

Re: Ipswich 100 - 01st April 2012

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:38 am

Talk about getting in early! Missed this ride this year, hopefully i'll be able to do the 2012 edition.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Max

Postby Max » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:03 pm

No thanks, once was definitely enough!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:25 pm

I found the 100 mile version a tortuous ride. Unremarkable scenery, rough remote roads, and 10k longer than the advertised distance. Plus, the dirty dozen steep rolling hills.

On the positives it was reasonably organized with plenty of food and drink (even I repetitious).

I'll see how I'm traveling closer to the point. I'm fitter and faster now than last year but I'm still not sure.

Noosa by contrast was a magic course but comparatively poorly organized.

I'll defer the decision until closer to the close. :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:41 pm

Comedian wrote: Noosa by contrast was a magic course but comparatively poorly organized.
Well i found the Noosa Century (100k) to be pretty well organized, so that makes the Ipswich 100 sound great. Even though i'm planning on being much fitter and faster next year i'm still only intending on doing 100k rides, i like a shorter one where i can just really let go. I'm interested to see what the courses are like when they put them up on the website.

And what kind of scenery do you expect in Ipswich? :D .

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:48 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Comedian wrote: Noosa by contrast was a magic course but comparatively poorly organized.
Well i found the Noosa Century (100k) to be pretty well organized, so that makes the Ipswich 100 sound great. Even though i'm planning on being much fitter and faster next year i'm still only intending on doing 100k rides, i like a shorter one where i can just really let go. I'm interested to see what the courses are like when they put them up on the website.

And what kind of scenery do you expect in Ipswich? :D .
On noosa we double flatted early on. There was no food left. I'm told this is common for USM events.

I can't comment on the 100k version of either event.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:31 pm

Comedian wrote:I found the 100 mile version a tortuous ride. Unremarkable scenery, rough remote roads, and 10k longer than the advertised distance. Plus, the dirty dozen steep rolling hills.

I'll see how I'm traveling closer to the point. I'm fitter and faster now than last year but I'm still not sure.
Um, HTFU? :D

All you've got to do is get your painful feet sorted out, then all good. And if you've done that then no worries at all...

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:07 pm

My aim was to do the Bris to goldie as my first group ride (I got my roadie 1 week after the 2011 event). I'm sorly tempted to give this a crack though. That also gives me time to work up to the 100km mark, I can do 50km (solo) no issues and get off the bike and still feel like I could ride further.

How hilly is the course?

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:12 pm

1st April??? Are they taking the piss? They'll likely take all the ergo monies, then have nothing organized on the day...

*** ***APRIL FOOLS*** ***
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Max

Postby Max » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:30 pm

PB12IN wrote:How hilly is the course?
Deceptively flat until about the 30 km mark. After that, it's a never-ending stream of soul-crushing, heart-breaking, hill-climbing misery. At some point during the dirty dozen, you will find yourself asking theological questions, such as "if there really is a god, why is he letting me suffer like this?", and "for there to be a heaven, there must be hell. I'm currently in hell, therefore heaven must exist. Why won't god just let me die so I can go to a better place?". You'll try to talk yourself through it by telling yourself you're not really suffering. That there are people in the world who are truly suffering. Like POWs in Taliban villages. Or victims of shark attacks. Or people who have to listen to William Shatner sing. Then you'll find yourself imagining what it's like to actually be one of those people. Then you'll realise you're still climbing that frigging hill, whereas the POW and shark victim have probably already had the good fortune to die in the time it's taken you to finally reach the top of that hill. You'll have a brief moment of joy before you look up and see there's yet another one ahead of you. Then you'll realise what it's like to have to listen to William Shatner sing. At that point, you'll start praying for death to take you quickly, but there will be no happy release for you. Just more climbing.

In other words, yes. It's quite hilly.

Max

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:44 pm

Max wrote:
Deceptively flat until about the 30 km mark. After that, it's a never-ending stream of soul-crushing, heart-breaking, hill-climbing misery. At some point during the dirty dozen, you will find yourself asking theological questions, such as "if there really is a god, why is he letting me suffer like this?", and "for there to be a heaven, there must be hell. I'm currently in hell, therefore heaven must exist. Why won't god just let me die so I can go to a better place?". You'll try to talk yourself through it by telling yourself you're not really suffering. That there are people in the world who are truly suffering. Like POWs in Taliban villages. Or victims of shark attacks. Or people who have to listen to William Shatner sing. Then you'll find yourself imagining what it's like to actually be one of those people. Then you'll realise you're still climbing that frigging hill, whereas the POW and shark victim have probably already had the good fortune to die in the time it's taken you to finally reach the top of that hill. You'll have a brief moment of joy before you look up and see there's yet another one ahead of you. Then you'll realise what it's like to have to listen to William Shatner sing. At that point, you'll start praying for death to take you quickly, but there will be no happy release for you. Just more climbing.

+1 .... Note to self, load the iPod with William shatner to set the mood :D

Max

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Max wrote:

Max

So there a a few gental inclines then?
and don't knock Wiliam Shatner, doing a spoken word version of a rap song..... Genius! :P

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:13 am

Max wrote:

Max

Ok i'm convinced, i'm entering ASAP! :D :D

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:04 am

I'm in... doing the 100km ride as I'm hoping to ride to & from the start from Brisbane. Hopefully they'll have the bikeway open by then... sorry, I meant 'shared path'.
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Max wrote:

Max

This need to be their customer supportive review on their website.

think I'll pass if that's what you PAY for

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:08 pm

I may have to do the 100 mile one. :shock:

colaiacw

Postby colaiacw » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Just signed up for the 100 mile. I did the 100 km last year and found it OK. Hope we don't have the same head wind, although once we turned around and headed back, it was a breeze (sorry :D ).

What sort of gearing is everyone else using for the 100 mile. Not sure if i should use the standard setup or go with the compact and a 11-28 cassette as i am not familiar with the terrain. What sort of grades are we talking about for the long climbs?

Any info would be great, cheers.
Merida Scultura Evo 909 Full Dura Ace (Weekender) & Merida HFS 904 Com Full Ultegra (Trainer)

When you feel yourself struggling up a hill, just get over it!

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:55 pm

11-25 / 34-50 should be ok but wouldn't mind seeing the profile in case the 28might be needed or become handy at some point

colaiacw

Postby colaiacw » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Le Velo wrote:11-25 / 34-50 should be ok but wouldn't mind seeing the profile in case the 28might be needed or become handy at some point
Thanks for that Le Velo, I might stick with the compact and the 11-28 just in case. Cheers.

Tried to find some Garmin course files for this event but had little luck. Anyone have a decent TCX file for the 100 mile event?
Merida Scultura Evo 909 Full Dura Ace (Weekender) & Merida HFS 904 Com Full Ultegra (Trainer)

When you feel yourself struggling up a hill, just get over it!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:43 pm

PB12IN wrote:My aim was to do the Bris to goldie as my first group ride (I got my roadie 1 week after the 2011 event). I'm sorly tempted to give this a crack though. That also gives me time to work up to the 100km mark, I can do 50km (solo) no issues and get off the bike and still feel like I could ride further.

How hilly is the course?

This was my first ever 100k ride, I'd done 80-90k rides but on the flats....agree with what Max has written about the first 30k's.... this year a headwind blew in and the condition of the roads was poor in parts probably due in part to the Jan floods/rain. We even had rain :roll:

I was very glad that I'd done some training rides out around Redland Bay and repeats on Mt Gravatt in the months leading up to the ride! I was fortunate to do the ride with a complete stranger that I met at the start line...she had ridden the course in 2010 and gave me the heads up prior to arriving at the hillier climbs...very glad of those repeats on Mt G.

Still debating on whether to do the 100mile or 100k ride at Ipswich and save the first imperial hundred for the Noosa event :?:

I can post Mr MM's Garmin for the 100mile if someone wants it...last year it turned out to be 170k before the finishing line was in sight....and Mr MM had a couple of flats to deal with!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/76830484
Last edited by marinmomma on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Max wrote:

Max
Hey there Max, you're not really into hils are you? :) :wink:
Lisa

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:35 pm

marinmomma wrote:
Still debating on whether to do the 100mile or 100k ride at Ipswich and save the first imperial hundred for the Noosa event :?:
I can't comment on the Ipswich ride but i have ridden all the roads used in the Noosa Century (though i've only actually participated in the 100k) and can say the extra 60k is ALL hills, and pretty tough going IMO. In particular the road surface between Cooroy and Pomona is very coarse and takes quite a bit out of you, i commute along there quite often and don't look forward to it.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:47 pm

marinmomma wrote:Still debating on whether to do the 100mile or 100k ride at Ipswich and save the first imperial hundred for the Noosa event :?:
Do the imperial. Then Noosa is just a fun ride, no pressure, already got a century, all good.

Stoo

Postby Stoo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:02 pm

i regularly do a 100km for my weekend loop.....gonna try the 160.
2004 Argon 18 Radon
2012 Argon 18 krypton
2010 Argon 18 Gallium Pro
2013 Argon 18 E-116

Hux

Postby Hux » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Went out yesterday for a recon of the area. The ride from Peaks down and south to Kalbar is pretty good. Few hills but nothing out of the ordinary. The ride back out from Boonah on the Yamanto rd has plenty of hills and took some sting out of me especially in the heat. The Garmin recorded up to 40* heat and I felt it.

By the time I got to Peaks Xing I was wrapped to be on relatively flat roads that you could pedal at a constant speed.

Not sure if I will do the 100mi but will be doing some more rides out there. Very pretty country for a ride around.