grafton to inverell 2012 g2i Cyclosportif

MDL

grafton to inverell 2012 g2i Cyclosportif

Postby MDL » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondeirng weather anyone could help me.

Just wondering on what fitness level you would require for the 228k distance without fading too much?

Like the idea of the long distance and want to give it ago.

Also heard that this is a pre entry ride for the race in October this year. Is this the case or not?

MDL

GrantMD

Re: grafton to inverell 2012 g2i Cyclosportif

Postby GrantMD » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi All

I've been browsing the forum for a few weeks now and have already learnt a heap. Thought I would take the plunge and sign up

Anyway, I am planning to do the G2I as well next year. I am in the process of building up the km's in my legs and am nearly at the point where I need to get real serious and get specific with the tranining. I know I am leaving it late but it is something I am deadly serious about starting and finishing

I have been told that I need to be able to do a 150km single ride by the middle of January (and then taper off) to have any chance of being successful

Appreciate any other thoughts as well

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:43 pm

IMO 228k is a pretty serious ride, i've been at it for a few years, i'm young and ride a fair bit but the longest i've managed was 'only' 172k and i was shattered. Grafton to Inverell is a goal of mine down the track but you either need to be exceptionally fit or be willing to take a LONG time to finish.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:10 pm

I've done the race twice but not the cyclosportif

With the cyclosportif, the objective is to complete the distance, so I suppose its more a case of how much time you have to do the distance including stops. Is there a time limit posted?

Yes build the distance and get use to riding as far as you can, that will be a large assistance.

Apart from the distance, there are 2 points to think of;
1. Hills. There's a lot of them and the longest is 18k, but its only 6 - 7%. So make sure your got some hills in your training.
2. Wind. If you strike a headwind once you get to the farmland over the other side of the range, it will add time to your trip. Riding with other riders can help as you can share the load into the wind.

Otherwise enjoy
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

GrantMD

Postby GrantMD » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:12 pm

13 Hours to finish

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:45 pm

GrantMD wrote:13 Hours to finish
17kph average elapsed time. If we allow an hour for lunch and a couple of wizzes that makes a moving average of 19kph. As long as you guys are up to the distance and don't need to walk up the hills you'll be fine.

When I raced it in October my average speed was 31.9kph for the total distance (no stops at all). I averaged 17.4 (or was it 17.6) kph up the 18k hill. Time was 7h 16m

I'm guessing that 12kph average up the 18k hill and the other hills will be sufficient fitness to get you their climbing wise and not be an issue with the overall target of 13 hours.

Lunch wise its Glen Innes, I don't recall seeing anything else on route. Unless there's a friendly local somewhere doing a bbq in the middle of no where. Guess there will be info on the web site about food and water.

MDL

Postby MDL » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:51 pm

What food did u carry on u for this race to do non stop? Or support crew?

Do u know weather Olathe enteries have changed for the race not the sportio?

MDL

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:05 pm

The course is done twice a year, once as a race and once as a sportif

For the race I had support crew that provided feed bags, which I grabbed without stopping. There was also water stations to grab more water bottles.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:08 am

Sorry you asked about what I ate. Please note this was under race conditions so is not a guide as to what have during the sport if

My consumption during the race was;
- pain killers (I was injured)
- 2 bananas
- 4 muesli bars
- 8 (well almost) bottles of water, 4 of which had energy powder in them, the other 4 being neutral water
- 16 energy gels

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:01 am

mikesbytes wrote:- 16 energy gels
WINNING. :D
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

GrantMD

Postby GrantMD » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:25 pm

So only a week away, and due to being unable to complete the necessary training (well, to my standards), I have decided to have a go at the 100km version. Only been riding for a few months, so I am sure the 100km will provide me with the necessary challenge. Depending on the outcome, will be onwards and upwards to the Fitz 205km and hopefully the G2I next year

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:01 pm

GrantMD wrote:So only a week away, and due to being unable to complete the necessary training (well, to my standards), I have decided to have a go at the 100km version. Only been riding for a few months, so I am sure the 100km will provide me with the necessary challenge. Depending on the outcome, will be onwards and upwards to the Fitz 205km and hopefully the G2I next year
Further to Mike's comments, I did the race in 1990, and ate about 3 bananas, 2 muesli bars and some dried apricots. No energy bars, no gels and no liquid other than water. I probably got through 5 or 6 bottles. And yes, I did not stop at all, did not need a nature break, 228 km without unclipping. I was in a bunch at the end, and we had a sprint. I got 10th in C grade or something (there were 5 blokes off the front), we did it in about 7'40", or right on 30 km/h. It was a hard ride, no question, but not insurmountable. The big hill is at only 72 km, and C Grade rode out there at a touring pace. The drag up to Glen Innes (the next 70 km after the top of the hill) is draining, especially, as Mike says, if you get a headwind.

The last 70 or so km from Glen Innes to Inverell is much more downhill than up, with a few little spikes thrown in to keep it interesting. I recall a long drag of a hill coming out of Glen Innes, where my teammate got away...

A word of warning about Fitz's Challenge. I haven't done the Fitz's 205. But blokes who have say it is harder than 3 peaks (roads are deader, relentless terrain, much greater number of hills). Those who have done 3 peaks and Grafton to Inverell say that 3 peaks is about 30% harder. Thus, Fitz's 205 is likely to be much harder than the sportif G2I. I see G2I as a long day in the saddle with a long climb about a third of the way in. If you can get yourself confident you can do the distance you have nothing to fear at G2I.