Fake Eddy Merckx project

ldrcycles

Fake Eddy Merckx project

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:44 pm

Just for the heck of it (and to show up one of my brother's mates who raves about his Eddy Merckx) i've decided to restore an unknown frame as an Eddy Merckx. To allay any concerns i'll make it clear i'm not intending on selling it, and if that does happen down the track it will be for what it is (though it would probably be obvious anyway).

I have two frames i'm looking at using, one has a Tange fork, and maybe tubes, the other looks a bit older and similar sort of quality. Not sure what components i'll be using yet, the Tange frame came with a Shimano Light Action rear mech and Dia-Compe brakes, i also have 2 or 3 SunTour derailleurs in good nick, i think a V GT would look good. Obviously Campy would be the go but it's exxy to buy, and all i've managed to pick up from the tip is an average condition front derailleur (and old campy parts are ugly anyway).

The main thing i'm struggling with atm is the paint job, leaning towards the red and white but the orange is good too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmosele ... sic_merckx

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/merckx ... 26-16.html
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ghostpoet

Re: Fake Eddy Merckx project

Postby ghostpoet » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Lovely bikes, but for me a no brainer...Molteni Orange. And just to offend the purists, or not if it is to be an obvious fake, sand blast and rub down the frame with silicon carbide abrasive tape and then nylon scourers, especially around the lugwork. And then off to a decent powdercoater to be done in....... safety orange!!!! Remarkably close to the iconic orange hues if an Azko Nobel powder is used.
Last edited by ghostpoet on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:11 pm

Perhaps you could call it Edy Merckx then your not really creating a fake and will fool many along the way..

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:08 am

stevendavid75 wrote:Perhaps you could call it Edy Merckx then your not really creating a fake and will fool many along the way..
There's always "Fraudy Merckx".....Eddy's dowdy half sister.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:24 pm

Or Eddy Fauckx, his dodgy neighbour.

Gotta be orange. But not with those crud Shimano wheels. Stainless steel spokes, and at least 32 of them in each wheel, if not 36!

Jim

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:09 pm

familyguy wrote:Or Eddy Fauckx, his dodgy neighbour.

Gotta be orange. But not with those crud Shimano wheels. Stainless steel spokes, and at least 32 of them in each wheel, if not 36!

Jim
Agree 100% on the wheels, those look totally wrong to me, and as i'm supposed to be saving money atm i will have to use what i have lying around, which by luck is the sort of thing you mentioned :) .

I'm really struggling with the paint, to me orange IS belgium and eddy is belgian but i really don't like orange. On the other hand, while i really like the white and red scheme, i think it will be harder to get a good finish with white paint :? .

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:39 pm

I have a couple of Genuine fake Eddy Merckx frames in the garage... :lol: .

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Decision made, white and red. Somewhat shallow reasoning, but the Corsa decal set from cyclomondo had the 'EM' head tube decal rather than the portrait (which looks a bit naff to me). Tomorrow night i'll decide which frame to use and start stripping it back.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:52 am

familyguy wrote:Or Eddy Fauckx, his dodgy neighbour.

That'd be the one! Although I'm sure he rides a Colnago...at least, that's the sticker on the bike :D
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Well something very strange is happening. I'm making decisions and getting work done! I had 2 mystery frames to pick from, went with this one.

At this stage the build will be Araya rims on Joytech hubs, Cinelli stem and Cinelli Criterium bars, SR Laprade seatpost and full SunTour GPX group. I wanted to use some Sugino Maxi cranks and Dia-Compe brakes i have but the brakes were the old nutted type and a full group should look good. Does anyone know a source for SunTour brake hoods?

Started stripping the frame, hopefully i can have all the parts off and get on to removing the paint on saturday arvo.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:51 am

Got the last few parts off the frame after i got back from work tonight, the BB was a real challenge but eventually cooperated. Brakes were Shimano Exage, and the headset is Shimano 600 cartridge, in perfectly usable condition :) . Frame feels jolly light, will take it to work tomorrow and see what it weighs.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:00 am

Frame weighs in at bang on 2 kilos, and the forks are 725g, pretty reasonable. Still trawling ebay for brake lever hoods, just a matter of looking in the right places i think. I've already found the bar tape i want, now i just need some spare time to strip and paint the frame.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:45 pm

Paint stripping looks like it is going to happen tomorrow night after i get back from a mtb ride, this evening i grabbed a wire brush to see if i could work out what was stamped on the dropouts, and they're Reynolds :D . Hoping to find some more info when all the paint is off.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:09 am

ldrcycles wrote:Paint stripping looks like it is going to happen tomorrow night after i get back from a mtb ride, this evening i grabbed a wire brush to see if i could work out what was stamped on the dropouts, and they're Reynolds :D . Hoping to find some more info when all the paint is off.
must be an awesome pickup then if it's reynolds! SCORE!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:08 am

vaeske wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Paint stripping looks like it is going to happen tomorrow night after i get back from a mtb ride, this evening i grabbed a wire brush to see if i could work out what was stamped on the dropouts, and they're Reynolds :D . Hoping to find some more info when all the paint is off.
must be an awesome pickup then if it's reynolds! SCORE!
I've had some pretty good luck with tip bikes, i also have a 1985 Dawes Shadow which i think is plain gauge 531. It looked godawful when i got it though.

Sandblasted the last paint from round the lugs this arvo, followed by a good going over with some 1500grit wet and dry. Got a coat of etch primer on before heading off to work, tomorrow morning some undercoat primer, then the red bits.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:44 pm

Primer all done, and first coat of red on the seat tube and head tube.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:01 am

Got the first coat of white on last night, looks really good. Should have some pics up this arvo.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:21 pm

With the rain and accompanying humidity i haven't been able to progress any further with the painting but my decals turned up from cyclomondo yesterday so i'll be all good to go once the humidity eases off a bit.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:34 pm

Nice looking frame and such a good find. You seem to be doing a great job of the painting too. I'm looking forward to the finished paint job.

Later on, when completely built, it will be relatively easy to see that it's not a genuine Eddy Merckx frame so you're not trying to trick anyone - just paying homage to Eddy - I like that.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:15 pm

GaryF wrote:Nice looking frame and such a good find. You seem to be doing a great job of the painting too. I'm looking forward to the finished paint job.

Later on, when completely built, it will be relatively easy to see that it's not a genuine Eddy Merckx frame so you're not trying to trick anyone - just paying homage to Eddy - I like that.
Thanks, i'm really suprised and happy with the quality of the paint job so far, needs another 3 or 4 coats of white yet. It's very frustrating as i can't wait to get the masking tape off and see how it looks but i know i have to take the time and do it properly. As you said, it will be obvious on decent inspection that it's fake, with the Reynolds dropouts. The decal pack included Columbus tubing decals which aren't going on as that would look stupid. While i'm waiting for painting weather i just need to tidy up the wheels, very rusty spokes on them which i'm hoping to just clean up and avoid a full respoke.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:57 am

ldrcycles wrote:
GaryF wrote:Nice looking frame and such a good find. You seem to be doing a great job of the painting too. I'm looking forward to the finished paint job.

Thanks, i'm really suprised and happy with the quality of the paint job so far, needs another 3 or 4 coats of white yet. It's very frustrating as i can't wait to get the masking tape off and see how it looks but i know i have to take the time and do it properly. As you said, it will be obvious on decent inspection that it's fake, with the Reynolds dropouts. The decal pack included Columbus tubing decals which aren't going on as that would look stupid. While i'm waiting for painting weather i just need to tidy up the wheels, very rusty spokes on them which i'm hoping to just clean up and avoid a full respoke.
I think some of the early Merckx frames were built with Reynolds tubing - but I may be wrong.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Got another coat of white on last night as it didn't feel too humid and this morning it is looking very nice indeed. I reckon another coat will have it spot on and then i can remove the masking tape, get the decals on and build it up.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:06 pm

So where are the promised pics ????

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:25 pm

I've been doing a few night shifts lately, and my potato (aka mobile phone camera :) ) takes very poor photos during the day, let alone at night. Fingers crossed i should be able to take some tomorrow arvo.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:39 am

Finally got a pic, some of the triangular cutouts round the lugs haven't come out as well as i want (first attempt at this kind of masking) so it needs a bit of cleaning up, and then a polish.

I'm taking a day off next week just to get it built up :) .